Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Not even 500 Miles :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The act of doing a few donuts, especially in the snow (or similar no/low traction situations), isn't going to be the source of your problem with the power steering, because that would only possibly strain the AWD system, suspension, or transmission. The source of the problem would be if you held the steering wheel all the way hard against the stop at either end of its range of travel for an extended period of time. Regardless if why you did it or what your car was doing at the time, that would be a possible source for power steering system damage.
Anyone who's all "zomg you did some donuts in the snow at 500 miles?!", acting like that's some sort of death sentence for the car, doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Really? You dont think?

I read it in a number of publications, and I can tell you this. I KNOW my car does not burn oil, and is on the very healthy side of stock power output...

To each is their own, but I took those precautions and avoided boost for the first few thousand miles, and have been rewarded because of this.

Heres on such article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test

Sorry, I forgot, I went the first 1000 miles, not few thousand. I appologize, its been almost 4 years since that time.

Its ok bro

I babied mine for 500 miles, boosted a little for the next 250 miles or so, then beat on it to finish the job for a couple hundred miles. I don't burn a drop of oil, even after a full weekend at the track.

Sl0evo, that is pretty common with bikes. A lot of people suggest beating the **** out of the motor from day one, to get it nice and loose so that it makes a little more power. Loose motors tend not to last as long though, from what I have seen of track cars. Bikes it is fine, since they tend to not put on nearly as many miles as cars before selling them.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
High performance cars break if abused.

Yes, my Evo leaves the garage. It actually has been to autocrosses and track days too. I have never pulled donuts with it though, for fear of breaking a diff or something else.

I have to ask, was the steering bad before the donuts?
Good question!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
I cant believe people are talking about breaking in the motor. Obviously not alot of you guys know about breaking in a motor, but the break in period should be EXACTLY like the car is going to be driven full time. Meaning if you're going to beat on the car daily, you should beat on it to break it in, and I've got plenty of proof to back this. Also a power steering pump shouldn't go bad in 500miles even if you drift it from the day you got it.

Take it back to Mitsubishi, yeah its a pain in the *** but they will fix it.
Ah yes, I almost forgot the reason I stopped posting here.

Where is your proof, out of curiousity. You say its obvious not a lot of us know, I could manage to claim the same about you based on a number of articles stated a motor should be broken in, including the one I gave the link to in this very thread.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:54 PM

I took my Evo with 1700+ mi in for what sounds like the exact same problem today.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Face it bro were just "bad drivers" lmao, either way she's back at mitsu so we'll see
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:20 PM

i dont have any bubbling noises, just creaking/groaning noise when i turn right. going back to the dealer when the parts come in next week.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by d3r3k
yep i jus barely hit 500 miles in my evo X and the power steering is already all messed up, and i didnt even beat on it, The steering wheel is strugglin to turn, It makes so much noise seems to be from the rack, and a bubbling noise which appears to be from behind the steering wheel.. i have NO luck with
damn I love this car but here goes another troublesome one. Back to the dealer 2morrow

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
you didn't beat on it? didn't you do donuts on the car and it made this noise?

"Musta slipped my mind"
I love it
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

To comment on the break in theory; it's not theory, there's definitive proof of how it should be done and how not to do it. In the cylinder chamber, there are cross hatched honing patterns that are meant to provide a mating surface for the piston rings to rub against during break in. While it is always advised to stay below the rpm that the manufacturer recommends, there is a lot more to it than that, and the manuals never get into it in proper detail.

The most important thing is to vary the load and rpms frequently, using a mix of light, medium, and full throttle with lots of accel/decel variation again, staying below the recommended rpm limit for the break in as stated by the manual. Too gentle of a break in, and the rings don't have enough pressure from the combustion gases to properly force them against the cylinder wall and as a result, the entire circumference of the rings don't maintain uniform contact with the cylinder walls and wear unevenly.

This will lead to an engine having more oil consumption down the road, because oil will get past the more heavily worn spots around the rings and get into the combustion chamber. Fuel will also gets past the rings on the other side and get into the oil supply more easily, causing the oil to break down more quickly. Breaking in an engine too hard has it's consequences too, however. The rings can wear too much during the break in period because the cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls is still very rough and hasn't been worn down enough for those kind of sustained pressure levels. What can happen from this is scarring of the cylinder walls and ring failure down the road. Compression loss in one or more cylinders can happen as well.

Hopefully by explaining in detail exactly what is occuring during the break in process, it will help everyone understand why there is a right way and a wrong way to break in an engine and that all of these "theories" that some of you seem to have are useless without the proper knowledge. Anyway, back on topic...

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Well Well well.... Got my car back 2day, and indeed it was some defect, that hes never seen... Some washers somewhere in the powersteering were pinched.... Soooo , twas not me... he he he.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lowkey
The break-in period is 600 miles, you do donuts at 500… don’t blame the car, man.

Why would you do donuts even in the snow at 500miles???
Both the STI and EVO need to be broken in!!! Dove my car to 2k before I came even close to redline!
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STUKA
Why would you do donuts even in the snow at 500miles???
Both the STI and EVO need to be broken in!!! Dove my car to 2k before I came even close to redline!
...and we all believe you
Old Dec 25, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

the fact is don't blame on the car if you did something wrong.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

The fact is it was defect, so I will blame that.

When I first went to test drive this car, there was some fluid on the floor and my dad was like hey is that oil, and of course the salesman is like oh no its not.... Who knows maybe that was PS fluid?