Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those with the Aero Package (front lip, etc.)-scraping during twisty rd driving?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with the Aero Package (front lip, etc.)-scraping during twisty rd driving?

Thanks.

Last edited by akitamike; Jul 29, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Never cracked mine but I'm having a terrible problem with my passenger side skirt, it's still in dire need of fixing and it's none other than Mitsubishi's fault!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:21 AM

1700 miles on mines and no prob with side skirt yet..front lip the rubber part kinda loose from hitting inclines the lip itself it fine

UPDATE After trying to enter a apartment complex with a very steep incline at 5 mph..my rubber lip is sitting in my trunk now..no damage to the actual front lip though

Last edited by EvoXCrazy; Jan 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

My friend scraped the black lip on a lift and said he would replace. Now he won't return any phone calls/texts. That is the only problem I'm having. Probably no longer going to be a friend.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:41 PM

The car sits pretty high in general so there is tons of clearance with or without the kit. I've never had a problem scraping, although that rubber piece that come on the front lip lasted about a week for me. I did scrape that and ended up just pulling it off.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems so far. I've had the car since last March w/ 10k miles on it. There may be some issues if I decide to lower the car though. The front spoiler sits considerably lower than without it. However, I'm not planning on putting coilovers/springs anytime soon so I'm not worried. I like the illusion of being lowered with the aero kit.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shyong
No problems so far. I've had the car since last March w/ 10k miles on it. There may be some issues if I decide to lower the car though. The front spoiler sits considerably lower than without it. However, I'm not planning on putting coilovers/springs anytime soon so I'm not worried. I like the illusion of being lowered with the aero kit.
Wheel gap=no illusion.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

I knocked my front rubber lip off but a little clear super glue fixed that. Havent had a problem since. BUT the side skirt is starting to come loose now. Havent fixed it yet though.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:56 PM

I w

Last edited by akitamike; Jul 29, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Haven't had and problems with the front lip scrapping or cracking but, I ended up taking off the rubber part just for looks... I do have a problem with the passenger side skirt also...
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

i havent had any problems with the sideskirts. the front lip suprisingly isnt cracked when i hit the parking block. everything is ok with 4000 miles on it
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by akitamike
I was at a dealership today and felt the side skirts myself. Even new ones on the lot seemed kind of "loose" when you pushed down on them gently and sort of creaked when moved up down. If some passenger accidentally stepped on the side skirt it doesn't seem strong enough, or held on strong enough, to not come loose. Are these held on with some adhesive or by screws into the sheetmetal? Still like the look of the lowered rear wing on the base GSR with aero package though.
It's held on with screws on some mounting brackets. The whole setup for the sideskirts on the Aero Kit is a very poor design. The stock side skirts are actually designed correctly with some tabs to keep the skirt tight to the body, unlike the aero kit. I fought MMNA on this issue and went so far as to take them through the arbitration process due to poor fitment on the passenger side, leaving a quarter inch gap. They did issue a TSB after all this hassle by replacing some double sided sticky tape, but it doesn't fix the primary issue. The arbitrators ruled in MMNA favor citing that this did not affect safety of the vehicle. Bummer.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i have over 11 K miles with spirited driving and a low sitting X.
No problem, only when i have to put the car on the trailer.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

DAMNNNNNNNNIT!!!! I was driving on the interstate at 140mph and I heard a loud CLACK! I looked in my rearview and saw 8 to 14 cars start to crash and pile up right behind me. AND MY SIDE SKIRT WAS STICKING OUT OF THE WINDSHEILD GLASS OF THE 08 STI THAT WAS RIGHT BEHIND ME!!!! I took the nearest exit and parked at the nearest MITSU DEALERSHIP!!!WAY TO GO MITSU
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I actually hit something in the road at 5 am that cracked my front lip. It's cracked right where the open area meets the lip, in the bottom right hand corner. I bet it can be bondo'd back together and touched up.. My rubber piece is also hanging down, I may just rip it off

Quick Reply: For those with the Aero Package (front lip, etc.)-scraping during twisty rd driving?