Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowTech302
You are looking through rose-color glasses at the past IMO. Given inflation, the GSX cost just as much as an 08 Evo GSR SSS. Those were not exactly without tuning issues, and I'd wager we get a whole lot more for the money with the Evo X IMO. The Supra? Over $65k in today's dollars, and not exactly quick or especially well-handling in today's world. We get some pretty pimp cars these days for the money IMO. Plus it's really easy to forget and gloss over the old car's problems because we've known how to fix and deal with them for many years. Where with a new platform, all the shortcomings are new to us and seem worse, especially when everyone is screaming for companies to hurry up and release solutions.

And I don't know why you'd think axing the Raider and Evo spells doom for Mitsu. The Raider didn't sell even when trucks were selling. It's just a rebadged turdly Dodge that needed to be axed years ago. The Evo? A low-volume sportscar that probably made very little, if any, money for Mitsu, more there as an image car. When they axe the Lancer or Galant, start worrying. Until then, relax Chicken Little.

I think there is something to the simplification of the line. Remember you used to be able to get the Galant VR-4 and the GSX both great, fast cars with the same drive train..just had to decide if you needed 4 doors or 2. My hope is that Mitsu follows through and puts the Evo/ralliart drivetrain into the next gen eclipse.

That said, there is a top gear that tests current road cars against the race cars of 20yrs ago and shows that the performance you get now is getting much better. 10-15 yrs ago, 0-60 in the 6 sec range was really quick...getting into the sub 5 sec range was unheard off outside aftermarket or really expensive supercars. Now most "sporty" cars can do times in the 6s range, and the average performance cars can do low 5s with many affordable cars in the sub 4s. Braking distances have dropped aby 30-40ft from 60, the cornering ability usually over .8 gs and many affordable cars above .9...used to have to get a vette for those kind of numbers.

All in all, I would say the cars are much better than 10 yrs ago...for performance nuts like us anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:44 PM

I definitely thought about it when I needed the steering gear assembly replaced at 1700 miles.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I sold my EVO X past November and got a GTR. I wish I kept the EVO X.

I bought the EVO X for mainly track purposes, and the car did wonders with just bolt on modifications. And per track day, it costed me about $700 for fluid changes, tires, pads, and gas.

Now with the GTR, it costs about $2,000 to track the car. Why so expensive? Stupid tranny fluid costs $60 per quart and it takes 7 quarts. And it takes 2 hours just to take all the pannels off the bottom of the car. And GTR seems like wear out the tires much faster. I'm guessing it's due to it's weight and higher speed.

Last edited by Jooyoung99; Jan 13, 2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
get an old evo to run it on the track, Some guy selling his, with full cage needs engine and tranny around $10k.
So hook that one up, And you will be a king in road or track. GT-R and EVo
Get a Evo 8 engine cheaper to run it on the track. Think about just only the spark plugs
And you will be happy
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cyp
I agree! However, I do miss my 350z. The looks are soo smooth and clean on it. Sliding the rear end was lots of fun. The sound of the exhaust made me smile at startup.

The EVO so far is an amazing experience when it comes to the all wheel drive handling. I Dont know yet what it is..even though it weighs soo much, the steering feels so light and the car just goes where you direct it without feeling the weight. I can't explain it. My Z felt heavy when turning the steering wheel. The Evo feels soo light. The things I hate about my evo is that damn rattle from the glove box mechanism, and a few noises here and there. My Z was solid and quiet, No creaks. The SST delay at times bothers me when I feel like punching the gas. The Z just got up and went. I do love the fact that I have four doors and can seat five. At the moment, I have to keep my evo stock because I have no financial room for some wider wheels and KW suspension. I would love to make the already awesome handling EVO even better. Once this car is paid off...I will be in the market for a Lotus Elise to satisfy that two door sport car crave.

I traded in my '03 350Z TrackPack a few ago for a used low mileage '03 VIII, then traded that in 1 month later on a new '05 VIII. I let the VIII go a year ago for a new '08 VW GTI and have regretted it ever since. Both the Z and GTI were/are great cars but the VIII was in another league.
If I were to do it again, that VIII would still be in my driveway.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimm
All in all, I would say the cars are much better than 10 yrs ago...for performance nuts like us anyway.

Cars are alot faster, handle and brake much better for sure than they were in the early 90's heydays. IMO new car styling is alot worse as there seems to be a lack of originality and conservative styling prevails at most automakers. Automotive paint durability is no better and even worse sometimes. Interiors have harder, cheaper plastics. It's like a two steps forward, one step back thing with new cars.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by freeride
Sold the X already?

Maybe when you take the Lexus in for service they'll give you an IS service loaner and you can take that out to Auto-X
haha tried that with an infiniti service loaner...one of the mechanics was there and reported me. i am currently banned from the service department at the only infiniti dealership on the island. haha oops. good thing the g is pretty reliable.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99

I bought the EVO X for mainly track purposes, and the car did wonders with just bolt on modifications. And per track day, it costed me about $700 for fluid changes, tires, pads, and gas.

Now with the GTR, it costs about $2,000 to track the car. Why so expensive? Stupid tranny fluid costs $60 per quart and it takes 7 quarts. And it takes 2 hours just to take all the pannels off the bottom of the car. And GTR seems like wear out the tires much faster. I'm guessing it's due to it's weight and higher speed.
but... are you lapping quicker?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99

Hah! I used to own a 997S and had the same problem with the cost of tires, brake pads, and fluids. I love the X because it costs $250 for pads at all four corners and $80 to change all of the fluids. Tires are cheaper too.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I was trying to trade in the EVO X for a GTR. (Two things kind of came up.)

1. I can't still find a GTR at sticker. (Most dealers are asking for 80,000 but window sticker says 72k. They are asking for the revised sticker price on the car for veh that was delievered before the price jump)

2. Trade in value on the EVO X hasn't been good so far.

I just decided to keep the evo x and drive it daily. Still trying to find a GTR at sticker as a weekend car.
(Found couple dealerships that advertised at sticker, when I go down to the dealership, price goes back up or trade in value for EVO X goes down to below 20K. Some of the reason for such a low price trade in value has been pretty funny.)

Last edited by ej257gd; Jan 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:18 AM

I am thinking about buying a X what kind of tranny problems are you guys talking about . I have 52000 miles on a 8 with 475 whp courtesy of TURBOTRIX the 3rd transfer case is starting to whir and the shift from 4th to 5th crunches and it is had to get into reverse. I also have a iX MR that is stock and I just replaced the clutch at 39,000 miles but it shifts clean and smooth. What kinda transmission probles are people encountering in X GSR? stock
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I just wondered if any of the others who have sold their X still browse these forums?

Do you miss it ever? I miss the SAYC like mad, and I miss the utility of a four door. There are a lot of things I don't miss, but being such a part of the community and not owning one is sad.

Had I opted in later and done a 60 month deal at 0%, you could guaran-dang-tee I'd still have it. A deal like that in this economy on such a great car is a wonderful thing!

Anyway, I'm still here, but don't post nearly as much and do 98% of my work behind the scenes moderating. I hope you all have a happy new year!
I've been out of the VIII for over a year and a half now. Only regret I have is having a car that would be cheaper to repair should something catastrophic happen and not having car payments, since the Evo was fully paid off. Otherwise, I never needed all the room the Evo had, especially the 4 doors, and I can still fit my snowboard in the car just fine The storage space available is bigger than most people think, the car gets better average gas mileage thanks to the gearing on the freeway (though the city is obviously less). It isn't quite as fast as the Evo, but it is at least 10x more fun to drive and 10x more comfortable to drive around in.

Admittedly, if it weren't for the economy hurting the value of my car, then I would trade-in/sell it for an Evo and get rid of my debt. But only because debt is a big deal right now, and I could handle driving around a IX for awhile.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

This was such a depressing thread... Having owned two Evos with no problems, I hope my time has not come. I did kick myself for not buying the 135i, but there is such a perception that BMW drivers are rich/overpaid that I really didn't want to pull into work with one everyday. The evo definitely redeemed itself the first drive in the snow with new snow tires... Ah yes, this is why I love evos...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by karlbirkenfeld
I am thinking about buying a X what kind of tranny problems are you guys talking about . I have 52000 miles on a 8 with 475 whp courtesy of TURBOTRIX the 3rd transfer case is starting to whir and the shift from 4th to 5th crunches and it is had to get into reverse. I also have a iX MR that is stock and I just replaced the clutch at 39,000 miles but it shifts clean and smooth. What kinda transmission probles are people encountering in X GSR? stock
Honestly dood, you are just going to have to go out and get one... I have a feeling that a good portion of the "problems" are non prior evo owners and don't realize the difference between the evo and their old civic hatch. This is the strongest transmission that I have had the pleasure of owning... love it.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Hi Seth, I figured you'd be experiencing the buyers remorse sooner or later. As technology and the aftermarket support for the 4b11t improves, so does the worth of the car. Many breakthroughs are being made with the new car and we think you sold yourself short by getting out of it too soon. We're surprised you moved to a 2 door coupe.
I did the deal before we found out we were preggers with #2. I regret it due to the economy. I looked into trade in so I could come back with 0%, but they made an asininely low offer on my car.

I called around. Apparently selling/trading any car in this economy is very bad. I'm going to have to ride it out until I can get back in an Evo. Someday...

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?