Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RpmSteve
I've owned about 6 mitsu's so far and 5 have been evos including 1 evo X. I recently sold the X and it was the best thing I've done so far. I loved the look of the car, and it was pretty fast but I just hate the problems you have with mitsu's. My fast key failed 3 times in 7 months. I hate having a car that the dealers are So unprofessional and are bias against you. Its like the service dept hates you as soon as you buy the car. Everyone who works for mitsu dealers around here are SUPER cocky and assuming as well. On top of that, after already having a fully built evo 9, I just dont want to go down that road again. I dont want to be under my hood twice a week, etc... My next tuner car will be a C6 Z06.

For someone looking to buy a 30k-35k car and mod it, i'd suggest a C6 regular vette, 03/04 cobra, or Sti. I know the STi is the direct competitor to the evo and it always loses mod for mod, but the reliability is way better and the drivetrains are bullet proof. And they seem to just be a better built car.

Flame suit on!!

" I hate having a car that the dealers are So unprofessional and are bias against you. Its like the service dept hates you as soon as you buy the car. Everyone who works for mitsu dealers around here are SUPER cocky and assuming as well."

that is soooo true !!! good point Steve!

The worst i have been so far is the Maywood mitsubishi in NJ.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given what's been posted, I have a question who've had issues with dealer service. Where these the dealers that sold you guys the cars?

The only Mitsu dealer in my area has already told me to never step foot into the store again.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lifesavedave
The only Mitsu dealer in my area has already told me to never step foot into the store again.
May I ask why?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:23 AM

Went to the dealer and told them that I wanted a ww gsr with sss and aero. They told me they had one but they would have to order it. They gave me a spec sheet of the car and I failed to recognize that the sheet didn't have the aero on it. I agreed and left a deposit. When I went home I relized the mistake and called them to cancel the order. They said cost for them was 34,000 and they couldn't go any lower. 34,000 for gsr with sss is pretty high so I said no and told them I wanted my deposit back. The owner agreed but told me I could never come into his dealership again.
I
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lifesavedave
Went to the dealer and told them that I wanted a ww gsr with sss and aero. They told me they had one but they would have to order it. They gave me a spec sheet of the car and I failed to recognize that the sheet didn't have the aero on it. I agreed and left a deposit. When I went home I relized the mistake and called them to cancel the order. They said cost for them was 34,000 and they couldn't go any lower. 34,000 for gsr with sss is pretty high so I said no and told them I wanted my deposit back. The owner agreed but told me I could never come into his dealership again.

Unbelievable. His loss.

Let me share my experience with the dealer,which in turn drove the question. I bought both of my Evos from the same store. After speaking to the service manager, I was told that I had nothing to worry about due to that factor. Sure enough, that was true. I'm treated like a king, no one has said word-one about the mods, and my requests are followed to the letter. I hate to think that's rare.

IME, spending a few shekels on a dozen doughnuts for the techs goes a long way toward promoting good will at the dealer.

Last edited by Noize; Dec 31, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Heck, while in dream land, throw a clean black 2001 Integra Type R in there too.
Originally Posted by Alexander
quoted for truth

although i would prefer champ white
Spoken like a true enthusiast Championship White all the way.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Noise , I like your 5-5 point of your comments on the X;
Let me paste it here.

"4)Use. Evos are unabashed racecars. As time went on, it became really obvious to me that the only racing I do is on the internet. Four autocrosses, one track day, and a good amount of drag racing at Beech Bend don’t require an unabashed racecar. I still love tuning and sporty cars, but having something that is comfortable for normal driving while having a respectable degree of performance is what is the most important to me.

5)Perception. This car was attracted one kind of person since I bought it: Sixteen – Twenty year old kids that were interested in street racing. I had no end to people revving on me, challenging me, asking me how fast it was, police attention, etc. I got really tired of being accosted by ricers when I was taking my family to Target."

I think this is a real fair comment. I like it a lot and many peole need to realize this before they even go for test drive in the X.
Should be on the windshild as a warning . !

Your other points there , i'm not really with you on them, but anyway. Those are your opinions so respect them.
I guess im not the only one with minivans and trucks reving, and everyone and their mother asking if is fast or how fast have a i gone I would that to say that is the only regret.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well. the VIII didn't shined at all. Or the 6 speed ...

What is really amaze me, there is ONLY ONE region is got the Transmission plauge... and that is the North America... Wonder why?
Sic who lives in Japan, has said that it is also a problem in JP, appears to be a wide spread issue. While the tranny is notchy i think i heard of one tranny broken, and the circumstances around it are very weird.

But i still got mine and i love it, sure it has is issues but what car doesn't. If you think brand A is better than B, well is not. If i would trade the evo today i would say i would like the 370Z
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Papi4baby

I guess im not the only one with minivans and trucks reving, and everyone and their mother asking if is fast or how fast have a i gone I would that to say that is the only regret.

Sic who lives in Japan, has said that it is also a problem in JP, appears to be a wide spread issue. While the tranny is notchy i think i heard of one tranny broken, and the circumstances around it are very weird.

But i still got mine and i love it, sure it has is issues but what car doesn't. If you think brand A is better than B, well is not. If i would trade the evo today i would say i would like the 370Z

"Sic who lives in Japan, has said that it is also a problem in JP, appears to be a wide spread issue. While the tranny is notchy i think i heard of one tranny broken, and the circumstances around it are very weird."
From my country,they love the MT.
I did not hear anything from Japan personally.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIX4me
I miss my evo9 so much ... If i had to do it all over again i would have kept the car , but i drive a 450whp boosted k20/k24 in a civic eg , it helps alot with the seperation anxiety and i eat evo's up all day !
Eat up evo's all day on the road course? Or stop light to stop light?

And as for regrets on the X ... its really sad to hear all the problems people have had with dealers and the car.

Luckily for me I haven't run into any problems with the car itself, ya it doesn't shift like butter but it doesn't suck either lol. Also love the numbers people have been able to put out with minimal mods.

I don't understand you guys who get revved on constantly ... maybe its the color of your car? Do you guys have lots of stickers? The area you guys live? My PB X with drop and rims never gets revved on. Ok I lie ... I've been revved on 1x and it was one of those newer Formula 1 Firebirds lol.

As for bad dealership service ... I had a HORRIBLE experience with my closest dealership Glendale Mitsubishi and so I drove 2hrs to buy mine from Southcoast. So far they've been easy to work with ... but then again I haven't had any major issues.

Other than Noize (who moderates this forum) ... if you've sold your X and you still cruise these forums ... deep down you regret selling it lol. Well I guess another reason you cruise these forums is if you work as a vendor or something ... lol

just my $0.02
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pltek
man this post seems to have a whole bunch ow whiners in it.

if you live in new england and think you made a mistake selling your 8/9 and buying a 10, please PM me.

I will swap with you
+1

I've owned many cars and trucks, I know they are going to have issues but it all depends on the severity of them. Every issue I had with my X are what I consider to be minor (i.e. nothing I or the dealer couldn't fix), yes I still have the "notchy" and learn to live with it until or if my tranny dies. Never had a major issue and even if then I dont think it would be enough for me to trade or sell my X.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Noize guess that little convo we had yesterday got you thinking twice of another X huh? Hope you get another one some day

I miss my IX from time to time too But i love the X, specially after i rode in TTPs shop car last friday night, wow!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ice1874193
The X is awesome - it sounds like for some of the more experienced guys are looking for more out of it but for me its a dream car. I run out of my house in the morning to drive it and look forward to driving it home all day at work lol and i've had the car for a month!

I may miss my vert in the summer but i'm having a great time with it....no one really has any fancy cars in my area so it's nice. i just have to build an extra 15 minutes into my trips to the gas station b/c everyone comes up to me and wants to check it out
i feel the same exact way. before i had this i had a v6 vert mustang with a venom performance chip and k&n intake and even tho it was slow as hell, it was fun to drive especially down the shore until snow and rain started to get thru the roof. Because of that i will never get another vert unless its vert hardtop. Coming from that into this is heaven i love this car and i waited a number of years for a evo and i finally have one. Due to the weight sometimes i wish i would have gotten the 9 but i know this is the one for me. For all those complaining about the transmission you should have driven my mustang it was hell, shifts were extremely rough so this transmission is heaven to me.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by nytejade
Which car has, overall, been more fun? The 135i or the EVO X? I was looking at 135i's for a bit, but the RWD turned me off.
The X was more fun in the twisty stuff, the 135i is more fun in the go straight and drivability stuff.

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
I've owned about 6 mitsu's so far and 5 have been evos including 1 evo X. I recently sold the X and it was the best thing I've done so far. I loved the look of the car, and it was pretty fast but I just hate the problems you have with mitsu's. My fast key failed 3 times in 7 months. I hate having a car that the dealers are So unprofessional and are bias against you. Its like the service dept hates you as soon as you buy the car. Everyone who works for mitsu dealers around here are SUPER cocky and assuming as well. On top of that, after already having a fully built evo 9, I just dont want to go down that road again. I dont want to be under my hood twice a week, etc... My next tuner car will be a C6 Z06.

For someone looking to buy a 30k-35k car and mod it, i'd suggest a C6 regular vette, 03/04 cobra, or Sti. I know the STi is the direct competitor to the evo and it always loses mod for mod, but the reliability is way better and the drivetrains are bullet proof. And they seem to just be a better built car.

Flame suit on!!
Originally Posted by smoothevo
08 STI has some serious issues with the engines blowing with just mild driving. I was between a STI and X and that's what pushed me over here.
Yeah, I had a WRX. There is no way I could ever go back to a single turbo boxer engine design. The new car is a bit of a letdown as well.

As far as the 03-04 Cobra idea, no way in heck. I don't mean to be crass, but wouldn't pee on a Rustang if it was on fire. They are so popular in this part of the country, but they are one trick ponies (literally). I like well rounded performance cars that have some semblence of handling, owned two F third gen Z28s growing up, I hate everything about Mustangs except the low cost and ease of increasing power.

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Hey Noize guess that little convo we had yesterday got you thinking twice of another X huh?
I actually made this post before, but when I saw you've had all three too, I was really interested to see what you thought!

Still, if I had the ability to get out of this car without taking a bath and getting a new X for a great deal at 0%, I'd come back just for the financial difference alone. I love the 135i, I just don't like not having a lot of extra mod money.

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
I'd definitely agree on Championship White, but I'd have to get a '97 or '98. Not only are those cars older and likely to be in worse shape, but they have a less aggressive intake cam. They are rated the same 195 HP as the '00 and '01 models, but they dyno 10-12whp less. So the newest I could get would be my choice, and Phoenix Yellow is not my thang. That's why a 2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl wins this race in my book.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I'd definitely agree on Championship White, but I'd have to get a '97 or '98. Not only are those cars older and likely to be in worse shape, but they have a less aggressive intake cam. They are rated the same 195 HP as the '00 and '01 models, but they dyno 10-12whp less. So the newest I could get would be my choice, and Phoenix Yellow is not my thang. That's why a 2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl wins this race in my book.
Oh come on, you know is mandatory to drop some Skunk S2 in that Type R engine, it would cure that right away. Yellow is ok, but i would not daily drive a yellow, too much attention. But i would deffinetly rock a yellow as a track car.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

i am very suprised to hear some of the reasons why people were getting rid of their cars... one in particular is the notchy transmission. I understand that its notchy... but did it ever get any worse? Some of the loudest, clunky notchy transmissions i have ever driven are sequential transmissions, which are built for racing.... I actually feel confident in my transmission and feel that it's one of the strongest mitsu has used to date.

Now on to the original subject, I sold my VIII and bought an '07 c6 with the Z51 package... and remained on these boards... I felt horrible, like something was missing, fast forward a year and i ended up trading my vette in for the X, BEST thing i could have done... I love this car, as i have said before I beat this **** out of this car and the only thing it does is ask for more. To this day I still get excited when i drive my car and it still brings a smile to my face, much better driving experience than the vette.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
i am very suprised to hear some of the reasons why people were getting rid of their cars... one in particular is the notchy transmission. I understand that its notchy... but did it ever get any worse? Some of the loudest, clunky notchy transmissions i have ever driven are sequential transmissions, which are built for racing.... I actually feel confident in my transmission and feel that it's one of the strongest mitsu has used to date.
QFT.

I guess no one on here has heard of the most desirable C3 Corvette transmission, the M-22 RockCrusher? Called that because it sounded like you were crushing rocks when you shifted gears. They *never* die unless you REALLY beat on them.

I think people are used to the plastic "smoothness" of a Honda shifter and don't realize what a really built transmission feels like. I hope I don't have to eat crow when trannies start dieing out there

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?