Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had many issues with the car, so yes I sort of regret it. The most annoying issue is the ASC turning itself off when I start my car. Gave it once to the dealer and they couldn't find a problem in a day or two of having the car, so I took it back. Now I'm returning it in a few days again, but it will leave me without a car. Not the best experience. My previous 07 Si never gave me a single issue.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:06 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
The 09 X doesnt comes anyway /looks like it/

So when you will be ready then maybe the 2010 X or maybe the new Evo will come out
So look at the bright side
I love the 135i, but its expensive. If I could get out of the car note, I might be on the lookout for the cleanest low mileage white IX MR I could find.

The huge appeal of the X is the deals on them and the 0%, so if I found a motivated dealer, I'd come back.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SRT4 to Evox
I actually traded in my srt4 for an evox.

I do really miss my srt4 haha it was simple and everything was insanely cheap for it!

was planning on buying a 4door trd tacoma, but at the end of the day somehow ended up with a evo x.

kinda regret it sometimes, I dont know why but the evo x just seems a bit disapointing without any mods. but handling rocks! but then theres quite a few little problems with the first batch of evo 10's
I did the same thing and boy do I miss the reliablity i had on my srt4...and now that my X is acting up I had to go pick up a reliable DD, so I got an 03 Tacoma ext cab, with the TRD package. I love this truck, nothing can stop a v6 in 4 lo.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:52 AM

I have had 2 IX's and thought about picking up a X, but after long consideration and a test drive, I will be buying a e46 M3. Love and miss the handling of the IX, but think mitsu skimped on the X and after owning a 330i, i will being staying with BMW as there service is impeccable.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize

The huge appeal of the X is the deals on them and the 0%, so if I found a motivated dealer, I'd come back.
How could a zero percent deal offset buying and trading away a pair of expensive 2008 cars in the span of half a year? I think it would be "cheaper to keep her" kind of thing and or try to make payments on two cars.

I think about it myself, but I'm working a overseas a lot so the extra mitsu payment isn't an issue and it keeps the miles real low. I had to figure that it was going to be worth about the same to me to keep it in the garage. You could also pick my rational apart and show me that for the money I spent in '08, I could be rolling a new E92.

Last edited by mike100; Jan 1, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

I miss my Evo 8...allot

I think I miss 90% of the cars I owned...I get attached...in the past, I owned 2 C5s, Viper GTS, Viper SRT10 SC, Lightning, E46 M3, Boxster (not in order) , and more... I miss them because they are all special in their own way. Even the ones that caused me trouble are special cause of that

Reality is..I had no space or time to keep all of them...sometimes you have to be happy with what you have and try to make the best of it....if you want to try something new, you have to get rid of the old.

I get an itch for another Lightning every now and then though
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:54 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pltek
man this post seems to have a whole bunch ow whiners in it.

if you live in new england and think you made a mistake selling your 8/9 and buying a 10, please PM me.

I will swap with you
Whiners? Yup, that's all we are. Here, let me explain why I hate my X:
  • Paint on rear bumper chipped and had the bumper repainted under warranty. Wasn't reinstalled properly and dealership will not correct the fitment issues that now exist because 'it's the best we can do.' Paint's starting to chip again
  • 2 dealers will not reflash my car because neither can reproduce the bucking at higher RPMs and when I took them for a test drive it is 'normal'
  • The fabric on both seats is loose on the headrests and my driver seat squeaks
  • There is a horrible rattle near the passenger door (not the glovebox, but that rattles too) that I can't track down. I can hear it over my stereo....
  • I can not run my car on track with less than 2/3 tank of fuel as the car starves. AMS have a surge tank that can fix this but it's $600
  • I had to spend $600 on an AP just to get the car running right
  • Gear box grinds horribly in 2nd whether cold or warm. Stealership classifies this as 'normal'
  • I have to use mud flaps as my rear quarters look like they've been sand blasted. Stealership, again, won't do anything as this is also 'normal'
  • Stealership had the car for 3 days last time it was in and they made me pay the $170 car rental bill. Took me 2 months to get that money back
  • Clutch is garbage and at almost 6K miles it STILL smells when I get on it
  • Car is slow as ****, even after the AP tune
  • Body roll in the corners is horrible
  • Idle still sucks, even after tune
There's some other stuff I'm forgetting, I'm sure. There's been an Evo in my garage since their release since 2003 so it's not like I didn't know what to expect. But, this is just garbage.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
  • Paint on rear bumper chipped and had the bumper repainted under warranty. Wasn't reinstalled properly and dealership will not correct the fitment issues that now exist because 'it's the best we can do.' Paint's starting to chip again
  • 2 dealers will not reflash my car because neither can reproduce the bucking at higher RPMs and when I took them for a test drive it is 'normal'
  • There is a horrible rattle near the passenger door (not the glovebox, but that rattles too) that I can't track down. I can hear it over my stereo....
  • I can not run my car on track with less than 2/3 tank of fuel as the car starves. AMS have a surge tank that can fix this but it's $600
  • Gear box grinds horribly in 2nd whether cold or warm. Stealership classifies this as 'normal'
  • I have to use mud flaps as my rear quarters look like they've been sand blasted. Stealership, again, won't do anything as this is also 'normal'
  • Stealership had the car for 3 days last time it was in and they made me pay the $170 car rental bill. Took me 2 months to get that money back
There's some other stuff I'm forgetting, I'm sure. There's been an Evo in my garage since their release since 2003 so it's not like I didn't know what to expect. But, this is just garbage.
Not to being harsh with you, but most of the post you made regardless about the subject, you have a negative tone.../as far as i remember/
I remember you from the Rallyarmor mudflaps and couple other threads. So you might need to clear things out. Those problems you have i'm sure they legit, but let me put it this way, I can find easy at least 15 thing i could hate in the 100K car if i want it.

You know nothing is perfect. And as far as i'm considered most of the guys here in this thread, wont matter which car they own, they would crying about them doesn't matter what.
Just they don't want to admit it. Of course there are problems...
Hellooo its a car...

"If You dont have a problem, buy a car" Never heard that impression???

Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmjsport
Post some pics!
Here is the link to my thread if you wanted to take a look.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...toy-evo-x.html
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

There have been a few of these threads...Almost 8 mos of ownership and I have almost none of these issues. I do have to be nice to the gear box until it is warm but you should do that anyway.

No issues and happy with the car.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:05 AM

interesting thread:
I came from the Mini Cooper world. I would describe the X as another world. I went away for Christmas and really found myself missing the car, that has never happened before.

Also, I have to give a shout out to South Coast Mitsubishi, they love their Evo's and they love the Evo customers, at least in my case. They have service specials all the time, and are very active in the socal boards.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing wrong with mine is glovebox rattle and crappy stock tune
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
You need a new dealership. This has NOTHING to do with the car and everything to do with the dealerships. The dealerships here in Dallas wouldn't be giving you this BS. Are you going in there with the same attitude you show on here? (not to be a dick, but the old honey/vinegar thing DEFINITELY applies)

My seats are pulling apart and I have rattles that I can, for the most part ignore, but I'm embarrassed when others ride with me. Coilovers didn't help. This car definitely lacks the fit and finish of more expensive cars for sure.

2/3 a tank? I got it under 1/2. You can try a DIY antisurge: http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/antisurgetank.html

You didn't *have* to spend the $600. And later you say it isn't working right? Which is it?

This is a known issue and is normal and is "under investigation". I'm not sure what you want the dealership to do for you since almost EVERY X does this? What is the ideal solution for you?

It is normal since the fender flairs stick out. Again, what do you want the dealership to do? You don't HAVE to run mud flaps. You could have clearbra'd that portion of your car.

The stock clutch does suck, but if you're still smelling it at 6k when you aren't launching it then you're not doing it right. At a launch it's gonna stink no matter what because it's the weakest link in the drivetrain. The X is NOT a drag car. If you wanted to go fast in a straight line then you should have gotten a mustang.

Um... after a tune you're likely pushing 300AWHP. You'd likely run the 1/4 in 12-12.5 seconds (unless you suck at driving). I'm not sure what you expect? It's just as fast or faster than your other stock Evos. The body roll is horrible in Evo VIII and IX's too, so you're WAY off base there to put that on the X. And if you've got a problem with the idle after your tune then maybe you should talk to your tuner... because at this point it's not on the car/mitsu but you and your tuner.

I'm not sure what your expectations are?

You talk VERY poorly about the "stealerships" and you talk about these problems that they won't solve, yet what do you want them to do? Sure they should have reflashed your car without a hassle and they DEFINITELY should be fixing your bumper again, but on the other stuff, what do you want them to do? Just whining about it will not solve any problems.

You say the car is slow and handles poorly, and you obviously are comparing it to a VIII or IX, but with your mods the car should handle better than a VIII or IX (since it does stock for stock) and should be just as fast as a stock 8/9. If it's not then I think you need to look at the pilot...

ETA: a picture is worth a 1000 words...
Stock X suspension

Stock VIII suspension

Same day, same corner, same photographer.

Last edited by goofygrin; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I gave this question some real thought and after doing so I don't regret buying the X, I do regret working with a crap dealership or as some call it (stealership)! The X brings me great joy when toting around town or barreling down a twisty road going way too fast and way outta line, however the ghost in the machine always sorts the mess I made out! In other words, the X is one hell of a prize fighter! Enough with my nit picks, the car is uber f'in alles!!!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:01 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Not to being harsh with you, but most of the post you made regardless about the subject, you have a negative tone.../as far as i remember/
I remember you from the Rallyarmor mudflaps and couple other threads. So you might need to clear things out. Those problems you have i'm sure they legit, but let me put it this way, I can find easy at least 15 thing i could hate in the 100K car if i want it.

You know nothing is perfect. And as far as i'm considered most of the guys here in this thread, wont matter which car they own, they would crying about them doesn't matter what.
Just they don't want to admit it. Of course there are problems...
Hellooo its a car...

"If You dont have a problem, buy a car" Never heard that impression???

I really have no clue what you're trying to say. Are you complaining about my complaining? I see you've still got sand in your vagina because I bashed your precious sponsor though.

Yes, cars have problems but I don't expect to pay $35K for a car and have nobody even remotely interested in fixing them for me. The car comes from the factory running like crap and nobody wants to fix that for me.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?