Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considered trading for a gsr, but then i fall back in love with the MR every time...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
bushing is just make the shifting,/ interior not the under hood/ more precised from the human side...
Doesn't change anything,in the tranny or the clutch.
Although i like them, since makes the shifting more clicker , Because no rubber bushing to absorbs the movement .
well yeah, I wasn't trying to say a bushing kit would fix the X's tranny... just using it as an example that some company somewhere is always trying to make things better for just about every car out there, especially performance cars, so as I had said... i'm sure someone will do something to fix, or at least help this issue.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philamthebest
considered trading for a gsr, but then i fall back in love with the MR every time...
why would you trade an MR for a GSR? Lighter and quicker?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Let me tell you that I do not regret getting an Evo X GSR. My only complaint is no leather option, and not getting navi.

I had a mazdaspeed 6, and let me tell you, I had a lot of problems. I was burning oil like no other. ( I wish I still had pictures, both within 30 seconds I produced enough smoke to camoflauge the entire Taliban army). To this day my dealership was never able to narrow down what the issue was.

I agree that the notchy tranny is annoying and Mitsu seems to be deny it. To me it pales to my experiences with other supposedly "high" performance cars.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:46 PM
Account Disabled

Beat he does.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oo-hard-4.html
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
Wow, now thats a concern surely.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:15 PM

I'd say the only regret or I should say annoyance I have with this car is that at highway speeds the car is incredibly loud. Especially around 75mph-85mph. Thinking of getting dynamat or something to help tone it down a bit.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Right, the paint peeling is the dealer's fault. The crappy tune is also the dealer's fault. I see your point. Even though neither are the dealer's fault, the dealer does suck. Nowhere else to take it unless I want to drive for miles.

It's hard to ignore a rattle when you can hear it over the stereo....

Yes, I'm going to put some plastic tubing from Home Depot inline with my fuel system....

If I type slowly it might help you better understand.... My bucking at high RPMs has been fixed. Still stalls on idle. Fixed one problem, didn't fix the other.

Under investigation or swept under the rug? My ideal solution would be not to release a car with an obviously faulty transmission, or come up with a fix for it. But, it's OK, my stealership says the transmission is fine.

No point putting clearbra over the huge rock chips, is there....

Hold on, so when I put my foot down on the accelerator pedal and smell clutch then I'm not doing it right? How does that work? The X isn't a drag car? Really? Thanks for that. Glad you '08 could show me the light.

Thought it wasn't a drag car? I've owned 2 VIIIs and neither body rolled as bad as this. They were both faster stock also. They didn't stall at idle either.

A car that I'm not embarrassed to give people a ride in. A car I can take round a corner without it starving for fuel. A car that doesn't shut off randomly at traffic lights. Etc.

Fix the problems; what do you think I want them to do?

Yes, of course, I have a $35K car that's a POS and it's all my fault. OK.

That's awesome, really. Maybe you can give me some driving lessons?
I have read your whole exchange....Did you buy a different car than I did? I really have none of your issues. I did install the clear bra the day I bought the car and had them put the aero package on (which seems to stop it almost completely as i have no chipping and live near a bunch of road construction).

I have no hesitation, no stalling, had mild buring when the car and some clutch smell both are pretty much gone, no clutch slip, no rattles, no fuel starvation issues, no rattles, and the second reflash increased my gas milage.

Sorry, you must have bought a lemon. Hope you have a lemon law where you are. I am very happy with my car, 9 mos of ownership and no real issues.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Picard
I'd say the only regret or I should say annoyance I have with this car is that at highway speeds the car is incredibly loud. Especially around 75mph-85mph. Thinking of getting dynamat or something to help tone it down a bit.
I second that statement....Noise levels on stock tires...horrendous above 75mph.

Now I recently switched to winter wheel/tires and am running on Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D...and the car is much more liveable. The easiest way I can describe it is that my GSR @ 80mph using Dunlop 3D tires sounds like my GSR @ 65mph using stock tires.

It won't change the engine noise much obviously...but I was unexpectedly surprised to hear the noticeable improvement the tires made...

Last edited by dcgsr; Jan 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:05 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jimm
Did you buy a different car than I did?
Yes, I did buy a different car than you did. That's why your car is sat in your garage and mine is sat in my garage. Just because you haven't had the same problems I have doesn't make my problems magically disappear. All of my issues have been experienced by other owners, it just seems that my car has ALL of them. Lemon laws are a joke; I don't have the money to try and fight through the courts to have the dealer take my car back.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Yes, I did buy a different car than you did. That's why your car is sat in your garage and mine is sat in my garage. Just because you haven't had the same problems I have doesn't make my problems magically disappear. All of my issues have been experienced by other owners, it just seems that my car has ALL of them. Lemon laws are a joke; I don't have the money to try and fight through the courts to have the dealer take my car back.

Don't be a smart ***. I was obviously being retorical.

never said that you don't have real issues just that your experience contrasts so starkly with mine. . BTW, depending on the state, lemon laws work. I know someone on NASIOC that had their 08 STI replaced because of the paint issues and we had GM (not the dealer) buy back a car after 7 failures (only needed 3) in 1 yr of ownership.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO

Jesus dood, sell you car and be done with it... you are one of those people who love to be miserable.

I couldn't tell in your video where the starvation was happening, but I definitely saw the car maintaining those g's in the corners for a good couple of seconds here and there, I am not familiar with other track worthy cars but is there something in other fuel tanks such as baffles that prevents this? I personally have blazed through about 30 miles of canyons with the empty light ON and never had an issue such as this.

Sorry to hear your frustrations man, but honestly you bring nothing good to the table, nothing constructive or feedback on what could be done to make this a better car, it's all about how horrible the car is, I really do think you just need to sell the car and be done with it.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
Jesus dood, sell you car and be done with it... you are one of those people who love to be miserable.

I couldn't tell in your video where the starvation was happening, but I definitely saw the car maintaining those g's in the corners for a good couple of seconds here and there, I am not familiar with other track worthy cars but is there something in other fuel tanks such as baffles that prevents this? I personally have blazed through about 30 miles of canyons with the empty light ON and never had an issue such as this.

Sorry to hear your frustrations man, but honestly you bring nothing good to the table, nothing constructive or feedback on what could be done to make this a better car, it's all about how horrible the car is, I really do think you just need to sell the car and be done with it.
Cut him some slack. I'm sure you would be equally as pissed off if you ended up with a lemon.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:18 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jimm
Don't be a smart ***. I was obviously being retorical.
That would be rhetorical....

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino

It's pretty easy to see the car jolt in the video like it's bouncing off the rev limiter. Canyons don't have the same curves that a race track does nor, generally, the same speeds so it's not surprising you haven't experienced it. Just because you haven't yet does not mean you won't. Why would AMS make a surge tank for the vehicle if one wasn't needed? Earlier Evos never had this problem until you started to upgrade the bits that touch the pavement and Evo Xs suffer from it stock. I'm not the only person to experience this; it's been documented by more than a few others (like AMS). Maybe I'm just making it all up though, right?

We already know what Mitsubishi needs to do to fix the problems, but they're not going to do it. To fix the fuel issue requires a redesign of the fuel tank. To fix the idle and stumbling issue then a better tune is needed and they need to issue a recall, not just a TSB. The seats fall apart: this has been documented by many. They need to redesign the way the fabric attaches near the harness loops and replace the seats in the current vehicles. Can you imagine how much that would cost to fix just those 3 things? Mitsu will never do any of them. Most importantly: they need to ingrain into their dealers the need to support their customers. I have spent over $100,000 with Mitsubishi in the past 5 years ('02 Lancer ES, '03 Lancer Evolution, '05 Lancer Evolution, and '08 Lancer Evolution) yet I still feel like a leper every time I set foot in the service department.

This car is my straw (you know, the final one). My last car was a Porsche 996 that had the engine blow after 5 weeks of ownership. I bought the car sight unseen (yes, my fault) and ended up with a car (besides the engine failure) that was a pig to drive on the streets. It cost me close to $18K all in for that engine replacement after I traded it on the X and I ended up with another car that "isn't right." You'd be pissed too. I've been here 5 years and have helped many people in my time here but, hey, if you want to judge me on my posts in this thread then knock yourself out.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I just wondered if any of the others who have sold their X still browse these forums?

Do you miss it ever? I miss the SAYC like mad, and I miss the utility of a four door. There are a lot of things I don't miss, but being such a part of the community and not owning one is sad.

Had I opted in later and done a 60 month deal at 0%, you could guaran-dang-tee I'd still have it. A deal like that in this economy on such a great car is a wonderful thing!

Anyway, I'm still here, but don't post nearly as much and do 98% of my work behind the scenes moderating. I hope you all have a happy new year!
Hi Seth, I figured you'd be experiencing the buyers remorse sooner or later. As technology and the aftermarket support for the 4b11t improves, so does the worth of the car. Many breakthroughs are being made with the new car and we think you sold yourself short by getting out of it too soon. We're surprised you moved to a 2 door coupe.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?