Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
That would be rhetorical....

It's pretty easy to see the car jolt in the video like it's bouncing off the rev limiter. Canyons don't have the same curves that a race track does nor, generally, the same speeds so it's not surprising you haven't experienced it. Just because you haven't yet does not mean you won't. Why would AMS make a surge tank for the vehicle if one wasn't needed? Earlier Evos never had this problem until you started to upgrade the bits that touch the pavement and Evo Xs suffer from it stock. I'm not the only person to experience this; it's been documented by more than a few others (like AMS). Maybe I'm just making it all up though, right?

We already know what Mitsubishi needs to do to fix the problems, but they're not going to do it. To fix the fuel issue requires a redesign of the fuel tank. To fix the idle and stumbling issue then a better tune is needed and they need to issue a recall, not just a TSB. The seats fall apart: this has been documented by many. They need to redesign the way the fabric attaches near the harness loops and replace the seats in the current vehicles. Can you imagine how much that would cost to fix just those 3 things? Mitsu will never do any of them. Most importantly: they need to ingrain into their dealers the need to support their customers. I have spent over $100,000 with Mitsubishi in the past 5 years ('02 Lancer ES, '03 Lancer Evolution, '05 Lancer Evolution, and '08 Lancer Evolution) yet I still feel like a leper every time I set foot in the service department.

This car is my straw (you know, the final one). My last car was a Porsche 996 that had the engine blow after 5 weeks of ownership. I bought the car sight unseen (yes, my fault) and ended up with a car (besides the engine failure) that was a pig to drive on the streets. It cost me close to $18K all in for that engine replacement after I traded it on the X and I ended up with another car that "isn't right." You'd be pissed too. I've been here 5 years and have helped many people in my time here but, hey, if you want to judge me on my posts in this thread then knock yourself out.

Right, I am with you on the starvation issue, that's why it was more of a question because I had not experienced it, and I have seen others with this issue... that wasn't the point I was trying to make in whole, which I had mentioned in the beginning and in the end which is to just sell your car and be done with it.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:25 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
Right, I am with you on the starvation issue, that's why it was more of a question because I had not experienced it, and I have seen others with this issue... that wasn't the point I was trying to make in whole, which I had mentioned in the beginning and in the end which is to just sell your car and be done with it.
I didn't miss your point; that was the point of the Porsche story. After taking an $18K hit on my last car and the economy being what it is I simply cannot afford to sell the car. Trust me: if I could then it would be gone.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

and now.... with no doubts... i am TERRIFIED to buy an X... if the worries of mitsu leaving the US market wasn't enough. they announced that they will stop making their Raider pickups dude to HORRABLE sales... and now NO EVO for 09! and now i see that the 08 evo are all nightmares on awd... wow... all these car companies need to be rudly awaken! the mustang/challenger/camaro are not muscle cars, they are just heavy boats with inefficent V8 trying to push almost 4000LBS!! toyota is the japanese version of Kia and Hyundai, chevy is trying to build a FWD evo with its 4-door cobalt. Just wow and these cars are all between 25-35k!? And Euro cars are no miracle either... there is no greater nightmare than their MPG numbers! yes they look awsome but most owners can't afford to fix it if the hellish day comes when it breaks down. car now (2008-2009) are what they were 10 yrs ago... back then it was the age of true cars, there was Supra, GSX Eclipse, 300ZX, and other now legendary cars... today is just sad what the dealers put out on the market... its sad... i used to have a civic until an idiot ramed the hell of it. now i need a new car and what i hear about the evo is just scarry, and the worst/sad part is that its mostly true.... the tranny does kinda fight with the driver, the dealers leave alot to be said about them... and well it is just a bit overpriced for what u get....

these r just my opinions, ill admit that i am a bit frustrated... but ohh well...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aar0nsite
and now.... with no doubts... i am TERRIFIED to buy an X... if the worries of mitsu leaving the US market wasn't enough. they announced that they will stop making their Raider pickups dude to HORRABLE sales... and now NO EVO for 09! and now i see that the 08 evo are all nightmares on awd... wow... all these car companies need to be rudly awaken! the mustang/challenger/camaro are not muscle cars, they are just heavy boats with inefficent V8 trying to push almost 4000LBS!! toyota is the japanese version of Kia and Hyundai, chevy is trying to build a FWD evo with its 4-door cobalt. Just wow and these cars are all between 25-35k!? And Euro cars are no miracle either... there is no greater nightmare than their MPG numbers! yes they look awsome but most owners can't afford to fix it if the hellish day comes when it breaks down. car now (2008-2009) are what they were 10 yrs ago... back then it was the age of true cars, there was Supra, GSX Eclipse, 300ZX, and other now legendary cars... today is just sad what the dealers put out on the market... its sad... i used to have a civic until an idiot ramed the hell of it. now i need a new car and what i hear about the evo is just scarry, and the worst/sad part is that its mostly true.... the tranny does kinda fight with the driver, the dealers leave alot to be said about them... and well it is just a bit overpriced for what u get....

these r just my opinions, ill admit that i am a bit frustrated... but ohh well...
na,not everyone has problems with the x. It seems that way because everyone who has problems with the x wrote in. Those that don't have problems generally don't really say anything cus there is nothing to say if the car is operating correctly. There are some horrific stories out there, but don't make an assumption off of that. I had the x and really haven't run into any issues as of yet besides the subwoofer blowing out every five minutes.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Reading this rambling, incoherent mess just gave me a headache. You clearly don't like the Evo. Go buy yourself another Civic.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Reading this rambling, incoherent mess just gave me a headache. You clearly don't like the Evo. Go buy yourself another Civic.
okay... and what did you earn by typing this?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:01 PM

I have all the legendary cars you mention , Supra JZA80, RX7 FD3S, NSX,plus two Porsche 996,S14and E46 M3 track car,STI,Miata..etc..i still think X is a nice car.
I only know one thing, my X has no problems, and the X tranny shifts better than my E46 M3. I remember reading RD magazine " M3's tranny is very smooth..best tranny...etc"....well....don't believe what you read either online or magazines.
I have seen many many people give comments to a car which they didn't even drive it.
I didn't really like EVO before, well...like i said....if you never own one, you have no rights to complain, you are just coping whatever you see online......so I got myself a X last month...so far...I love it! no complains!...you get what you paid for. Let's see if i will have any problems later on...well...it's a Evo...if there's a problem....i will just mod it at the same time. Evo is not a Camry or Accord, so i don't mind if they have some issues need to take care.(it's a good reason for yourself to mod the car)
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
and now.... with no doubts... i am TERRIFIED to buy an X...
Then, don't buy one. Really. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. If you fell uncomfortable about the purchase now, you'll always question whether you may have been better-off with something else.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy aggrandizement. At least the engines aren't failing as they are in Subaru's. There are some issues but some are more minor annoyances and tune related.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

i just sold my X (first pb gsr in the US) and bought a lexus gx470. first suv and first auto car but i have no regrets. i used to think my grandmas g35 was a big fat pig but when I drove it yesterday it felt like a freaking race car. lol i guess performance is all relative.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
i just sold my X (first pb gsr in the US) and bought a lexus gx470. first suv and first auto car but i have no regrets. i used to think my grandmas g35 was a big fat pig but when I drove it yesterday it felt like a freaking race car. lol i guess performance is all relative.
Sold the X already?

Maybe when you take the Lexus in for service they'll give you an IS service loaner and you can take that out to Auto-X
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have not had problems and there seem to be a few here who have not. I did give it a good break in so that might be part of the trick...or I was lucky and others not.

That said, i think there is plenty to choose from out there...Had I not needed AWD I would have considered a BMW 1 series for example, it does not help you now, the new Subaru coupe looks like a possible winner (AWD etc), the new WRX is pretty quick and (assuming they get the engines sorted out) next years STI should get a pretty decent power bump, I actually like the looks some of the new US cars (if they stay in buisness) and the GM models appear to have actually made suspension changes, if I did not have a daughter, I would have considered a 370Z....

As for the EVO, I am happy with my purchase. Upgrading the interior to leather and clear bra is a must...aside from that, it has been great. I will say that Subaru seemed to be more flexible with mods so if you are into that, they might be a better choice.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

why are you here then, in this section?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

car now (2008-2009) are what they were 10 yrs ago... back then it was the age of true cars, there was Supra, GSX Eclipse, 300ZX, and other now legendary cars... today is just sad what the dealers put out on the market... its sad... ...
You are looking through rose-color glasses at the past IMO. Given inflation, the GSX cost just as much as an 08 Evo GSR SSS. Those were not exactly without tuning issues, and I'd wager we get a whole lot more for the money with the Evo X IMO. The Supra? Over $65k in today's dollars, and not exactly quick or especially well-handling in today's world. We get some pretty pimp cars these days for the money IMO. Plus it's really easy to forget and gloss over the old car's problems because we've known how to fix and deal with them for many years. Where with a new platform, all the shortcomings are new to us and seem worse, especially when everyone is screaming for companies to hurry up and release solutions.

And I don't know why you'd think axing the Raider and Evo spells doom for Mitsu. The Raider didn't sell even when trucks were selling. It's just a rebadged turdly Dodge that needed to be axed years ago. The Evo? A low-volume sportscar that probably made very little, if any, money for Mitsu, more there as an image car. When they axe the Lancer or Galant, start worrying. Until then, relax Chicken Little.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
well...

the memories sometimes makes things looks much better then actually they are...

Remember the Audi World champ rally car??? the unbeatable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_QlSbhKHU0

the longer version i just uploaded it

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...ars_211097.htm

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?