Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:47 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?

I just wondered if any of the others who have sold their X still browse these forums?

Do you miss it ever? I miss the SAYC like mad, and I miss the utility of a four door. There are a lot of things I don't miss, but being such a part of the community and not owning one is sad.

Had I opted in later and done a 60 month deal at 0%, you could guaran-dang-tee I'd still have it. A deal like that in this economy on such a great car is a wonderful thing!

Anyway, I'm still here, but don't post nearly as much and do 98% of my work behind the scenes moderating. I hope you all have a happy new year!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why you sold it?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

^I think he had tranny problems.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I just wondered if any of the others who have sold their X still browse these forums?
While I can't answer the question, I appreciate the genuine passion and honesty of your comments. Is it feasible for you to get another X in addition to the 135?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Sabot
Why you sold it?
There's a lot of reasons, but I wrote it all down in the blog in my sig if you're interested. It might be page 2 or 3 now. Its called "The trouble with X". In spite of that, I loved the car.

Originally Posted by FJF
While I can't answer the question, I appreciate the genuine passion and honesty of your comments. Is it feasible for you to get another X in addition to the 135?
Not unless you know a really good hypnotist I can take my wife to.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I was about to trade in my car for an 08 m3 coupe, but decided to wait a bit longer to see if mitsu will fix the tranny problem.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:07 PM
JEP
Evolving Member

I sold my evo 8 and missed that car for 2 years. I bought a Viper GTS its supercharged makes almost 600 to the ground but I never left this forum. 3 months ago I bought a new phantom Black Evo X very nice car Ive done all the basic mods but honestly its no Evo 8 or 9...
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the evo always have tranny problems,my evo 8 and 9 both did and the x still has problems.thats why i went with the slower sst lol.no problems at all.i regret getting rid of my 500hp evo 8 i miss it so bad.the evo x i would gladly get rid of, its disappointing.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by bvliz
the evo always have tranny problems,my evo 8 and 9 both did and the x still has problems.thats why i went with the slower sst lol.no problems at all.i regret getting rid of my 500hp evo 8 i miss it so bad.the evo x i would gladly get rid of, its disappointing.
I had an VIII, IX, and an X, and the X transmission was the worst by far.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Noize, are you getting the new car itch again? End of the year is such a tempting time to shop and take the plunge!

I have followed your Evo-to-BMW adventures. I have almost 90K miles on my 2005 GSR (daily commuter, no mods) and have the new car itch badly. I want the X but read about all the issues here, plus it's heavier and would have to have a tune. The 135i would be my 2nd choice. The steering would probably turn me off. I drove a 335i and it felt numb. On 2nd thought, I drove the X briefly and the car wasn't raw like my 8, so "gee why not just get a BMW" ...I might just keep my 05 for a little longer. I fortunately have a few other nice cars to play with but I like having a "cheaper" car for my daily driver.

What do you dislike about your 135i the most? Do you feel it will be reliable? How's your highway mpg?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by WHUP-S
Noize, are you getting the new car itch again? End of the year is such a tempting time to shop and take the plunge!

I have followed your Evo-to-BMW adventures. I have almost 90K miles on my 2005 GSR (daily commuter, no mods) and have the new car itch badly. I want the X but read about all the issues here, plus it's heavier and would have to have a tune. The 135i would be my 2nd choice. The steering would probably turn me off. I drove a 335i and it felt numb. On 2nd thought, I drove the X briefly and the car wasn't raw like my 8, so "gee why not just get a BMW" ...I might just keep my 05 for a little longer. I fortunately have a few other nice cars to play with but I like having a "cheaper" car for my daily driver.

What do you dislike about your 135i the most? Do you feel it will be reliable? How's your highway mpg?
The thing I dislike the most is the monthly payment. Its manageable, but does not leave a lot of room for extra modding and tweaking, especially with 1 kid and another on the way. The second thing I dislike is the fact it has an e-differential instead of a real limited slip.

The car has been dead nuts reliable so far and has never given me one hiccup. The gas mileage is insane on the highway. I drove it home to Indiana for Christmas and got 31.8mpg, you can thank direct injection for that one.

The acceleration is nice- I have a friend with an E46 M3 that is stock. All I have modwise are dual cone filters and a tune. He dropped it in fourth on the interstate and I left it in sixth, and he still couldn't pass me.

I'm making 5whp less and 40wtq more than my Evo VIII did with full exhaust, cams, cam gears, tune, pump, injectors, and a GT3071R.

Still, I miss that X SAYC. I miss going into a corner at an unthinkable speed and coming through easily.

I have too many car loves. If I could have an X and a 135i, it would be awesome. Heck, while in dream land, throw a clean black 2001 Integra Type R in there too.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

$

I miss my VIII like a ****, if that counts. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have traded it in. My 08 Eclipse GT is nice, don't get me wrong. It's just, you know, not an Evo. I'm tempted to get a X just to partake of that visceral driving experience again. $31,900 at 0% for 60 months on a new X with SSS is just about as good as it's going to get. However, another ~$600 car payment every month would be a chore. So for now I'm not with the one I love (Evo). I'll just love the one I'm with (Eclipse).

Last edited by mathgeek; Dec 30, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:17 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
So for now I'm not with the one I love (Evo). I'll just love the one I'm with (Eclipse).
A Stephen Stills reference? You're killin' me. ;-)
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I have too many car loves. If I could have an X and a 135i, it would be awesome. Heck, while in dream land, throw a clean black 2001 Integra Type R in there too.
quoted for truth

although i would prefer champ white
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like any car guy, I often look at other cars and think maybe I should have gotten that instead of an Evo. But I know that if I did, I'd have that feeling in a much bigger way every time I saw an Evo.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else owned an Evo X and sold/traded it already? Any regret?