Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Syncro's/rough shifts.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Syncro's/rough shifts.

Ok guys my syncro's have been crunching since the day of purchase, as soon as I drove the car off the showroom floor they've literally been popping and crunching, my shifts aren't smooth no matter what I do with the clutch, is there any way the syncro's could be affecting the cars shifting performance? Any advice would be great!!!

BTW, the clutch is not slipping, my rpm don't float and the clutch grabs rather nicely, however no matter what the car always chatters from 1st to 2nd gear (slow or fast clutch release) and the syncro's pop every time you go from 2nd to 3rd esp. in this colder winter weather, even after I let the car set and warm up for over 10 minutes. The car shifts like a dream from 4 to 5, I just don't understand what's going on?

The dealer is trying to tell me it's a characteristic of all EVO's???
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same exact thing.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

they all do it unfortunately, ****ty trannies
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Join the club, or get in line. Welcome to get over it and shift it like you mean it

Once you put some miles on it, shift fast and you will see how smooth it is
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Ok guys my syncro's have been crunching since the day of purchase, as soon as I drove the car off the showroom floor they've literally been popping and crunching, my shifts aren't smooth no matter what I do with the clutch, is there any way the syncro's could be affecting the cars shifting performance? Any advice would be great!!!

BTW, the clutch is not slipping, my rpm don't float and the clutch grabs rather nicely, however no matter what the car always chatters from 1st to 2nd gear (slow or fast clutch release) and the syncro's pop every time you go from 2nd to 3rd esp. in this colder winter weather, even after I let the car set and warm up for over 10 minutes. The car shifts like a dream from 4 to 5, I just don't understand what's going on?

The dealer is trying to tell me it's a characteristic of all EVO's???
While performance cars will be a little rougher in shifting than a civic, the X takes that to a whole new level. There is a mechanical problem for sure, as the chances of it being as simple as a fluid issue is unlikely. Many people have swapped fluid and noted only minor improvements.

In any case, here's what you need to do in the meantime: shift it very slowly to minimize the crunch while the car is still cold, then after about 10 minutes of DRIVING (not idling, as it does nothing for warming up the transmission fluid), shift firmly and quickly. As someone else said, shift it like you mean it, and it will drop in much smoother. Don't slam it or anything, but just be firm. Hope this helps...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 03:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Tons of data here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-thread.html

Last edited by Noize; Dec 31, 2008 at 03:27 PM.