Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My battery is dead!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My battery is dead!

Ok, so I went out of town and my friend drove my car for a day and he left it ON~! now my battery is completely dead. no lights, nothing. I have tried to jump start the car put nothing happens. ive tried to roll start the car nothing. the jumper cable was kind of old and i havent tried another pair yet.. any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

i would try buying a new set of cables and let it charge off another car for 30 minutes. If that doesnt work you should take the battery to autozone and they can test it.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the great advice from the poster above, I'll thow in another advice. Don't let your friend drive your car. heh.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

^^+1

Autozone charges batteries for free
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:46 AM
WAM
Evolving Member

A totally drained and dead battery is often difficult to recharge and more often than not never recovers. To try to recharge it you hook up a charger to another battery, and then connect that battery to the dead one with cables. After a few minutes, disconnect the cables and check the voltage on the dead battery. If it's near 12V you may be able to connect the charger straight to it. If it's still way down in voltage, it's a boat anchor.

-- Bill
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

Jump the car and drive for an hour or so maybe more. This happened on my X after three weeks I got a dent so I left it to get a ding out and the person fixing it moved the car but forgot to turn it of properly so the battery died. We jumped the battery and I drove the car for
20minutes then left it idle for 30minutes and went for another 30 minute drive. I don't know but that worked for me no issues with the battery yet. That was in April 2008. Try it worked for me. Hope that helps
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WAM
A totally drained and dead battery is often difficult to recharge and more often than not never recovers. To try to recharge it you hook up a charger to another battery, and then connect that battery to the dead one with cables. After a few minutes, disconnect the cables and check the voltage on the dead battery. If it's near 12V you may be able to connect the charger straight to it. If it's still way down in voltage, it's a boat anchor.

-- Bill
+1 and is the correct process for charging a low/dead optima battery.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought a brand new X off the showroom floor last night. This morning I went out to start it and the battery is completely dead. I mean, c'mon. Nothing was left on, mind you. I think that the car had just been sitting there for months without being started. Oh, and as soon as I drove off the lot the tire pressure monitoring system alerted me. I got home and all four tires were seriously low on air. Don't dealers pay attention to these things before they let a customer drive off the lot?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:07 PM

OMG the same exact thing happened to be except I bought my car at Victorsville Mitsubishi! I'm going back to the dealer because I keep charging it and about a week later the battery gets completely drain and I'm also driving it everyday.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 04:37 PM
WAM
Evolving Member

I thiink there's a design defect with the ignition switch. You turn the knob back to the first indent and the engine stops. You think you've turned off the car but you haven't. Happened to me the first day I owned it, but the alarm when I opened the door made me recheck and I found my error. But first time my wife drove it she did the same thing and ignored the alarm. Ran the battery down before I caught it. Must happen to a lot of people, and ruin a lot of batteries.

-- Bill
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
I thought it was really dangerous to hook up negative terminals together
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock battery died after 8 months. It wouldn't jumpstart with my Camry, but when the roadside assistance guy showed up and tried, it worked. when i asked him, he said the power requirement was higher for the evo than what the camry would be able to give. he said he had two batteries connected to mine to jumpstart it. Anyway, I go to the dealer and they say the battery failed the load bearing test, and they replaced it for free. However, the new battery looks completely different from the old panasonic that was in there. Something tells me they know of the problem and are silently replacing it on a case by case basis.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I just had the battery replaced for free this morning at the dealership. I've only had the car 36 hours and the battery has died twice (after I jumpstarted it with my Eclipse).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:40 PM

You should recharge the battery, if it doesn't work try taking the battery into a shop and they will have to test it...

Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Same problem a while back. Had the car for about two months and the battery died. One evening I was out late (early) and had to call Mitsu to send a guy out to jump it. More than 90 minutes later this banger shows up in a banger Grand Prix and were he to have not been alone in the vehicle, I would've thought I was about to get jacked.
Long story short, the dealer replaced the battery after saying it wouldn't hold a charge for free.