Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

"Blips" at full throttle?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had this problem and bought an intake and put a cut out and more boost and it doesnt happen anymore...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:07 PM

1-888-MITSU2009

Everyone has opened a case with Mitsubishi, right?

-X
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every X I've driven has done this, and every X that I've driven after a tune doesn't do this. Unless the OP has a bad injector or something, a tune should fix it. Since the OP is still having issues with this, it would imply that something mechanically isn't right with the car. Could be injectors, spark plugs, who knows? But again, his issue is not widespread if that's the case, so calm down people. I swear, everytime there is a thread about a X with problems, all the arm chair lawyers come out of the woodwork telling the OP to sue. LMAO @ you guys.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Every X I've driven has done this, and every X that I've driven after a tune doesn't do this. Unless the OP has a bad injector or something, a tune should fix it. Since the OP is still having issues with this, it would imply that something mechanically isn't right with the car. Could be injectors, spark plugs, who knows? But again, his issue is not widespread if that's the case, so calm down people. I swear, everytime there is a thread about a X with problems, all the arm chair lawyers come out of the woodwork telling the OP to sue. LMAO @ you guys.
How many X's have you driven out of curiosity? I drove another new one off the lot the other day and it did do it too... I just can't believe that there aren't more complaints, like from EVERY person that buys one.

And even if a tune does fix it, what is it that was happening? Was any damage caused to the engine all the while it was happening before the tune?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

I've driven 4, and they all do it. I've driven 2 since being tuned, and the issue is completely gone. If you are still experiencing the issue after the base map, then perhaps your car is having more issues other than the tune. Most likely no, there has not been any real damage done to anything in your engine, and even if you have been getting detonation, it's probably very minor so I wouldn't worry about it.

What is most likely occuring is you are getting misfires, where there is so much fuel in the combustion chamber that it can't properly ignite, causing 1 or more cylinders to not actually fire completely. Again, if the tune didn't fix your issue, there is something else wrong. Most likely culprits are fouled out spark plugs or a bad injector. Mention this to the dealer, and have them look into it. It's sad, but mitsu dealers are clueless and half the time, you have to be the tech and tell them what to look for or they'll never find it. Let us know what occurs.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:36 PM

Right on. I will do exactly that tomorrow. Injectors, plugs, or others have suggested coilpacks. Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I've driven 4, and they all do it. I've driven 2 since being tuned, and the issue is completely gone. If you are still experiencing the issue after the base map, then perhaps your car is having more issues other than the tune. Most likely no, there has not been any real damage done to anything in your engine, and even if you have been getting detonation, it's probably very minor so I wouldn't worry about it.

What is most likely occuring is you are getting misfires, where there is so much fuel in the combustion chamber that it can't properly ignite, causing 1 or more cylinders to not actually fire completely. Again, if the tune didn't fix your issue, there is something else wrong. Most likely culprits are fouled out spark plugs or a bad injector. Mention this to the dealer, and have them look into it. It's sad, but mitsu dealers are clueless and half the time, you have to be the tech and tell them what to look for or they'll never find it. Let us know what occurs.

In regards to what you're saying..in your opinion would a cobb AP fix this issue? or would a custom tune be in order?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
hesitation or stumble is probably the word you are looking for, and it sounds like the usual problem that was supposedly fixed by the first and second reflashes from the dealership. If you haven't yet had the flashes, take it to your dealer and ask them for the factory reflash, it is free of charge.

If thats not it, I would of said cold weather contributing to a boost/fuel cut but it looks like you are down south, don't think it gets too cold down there...

+1, I would try that first
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

My bone stock, not tuned, 08 X MR does _not_ exhibit this behavior.

--michael
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXTX
In regards to what you're saying..in your opinion would a cobb AP fix this issue? or would a custom tune be in order?
Granted, custom tunes are always better, even an OTS base map should fix the issue. An OTS map from cobb runs around low 11s on spool up, dropping to low 10s at redline IIRC. This should be more than sufficient for solving the hesitation issue and if not, there is most likely something else wrong with the car and a custom tune probably won't help. It sounds to me like the OP might have 1 or more fouled out spark plugs and/or 1 or more bad injectors, but who knows...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:52 PM

Mine Did it until I put in the K&N Drop in Air Filter.
Has not done it since the K&N was put in.
My Car has not had the flashes, and is stock other than the filter.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:05 PM

I think you guys should just keep pushing Mitsu until they bring out factory reflash # 3 which will finally solve the overly rich AF issue.

But maybe if they fix that, the additional power will increase the number of clutch complaints…

BTW, don’t know if this is what you experience but my car had this hesitation / misfire anomaly at about 5000 – 5500 rpm when I accelerated hard. Installed the Cobb AP and that went away.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:46 PM

I too have this hesitation under moderate or more acceleration, but only in fifth gear. My injectors are some what loud, is everyone elses injectors make a fairly loud plastic clapping noise when warm. Wonder if this is what makes my hesitation under acceleration. BTW I have the ECU flashes and a drop in HKS filter.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:35 AM

mitsu still hasn't fixed this problem? how many flashes are out since the start of this being an issue?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

I found out this weekend from my tech buddy (nissan, but called mitsu) that in order to even get the second flash now you need to throw a code for it, p1320. I went into the dealer to get the flash done, and the dealer said I already had it, I didnt believe him, and turns out I was right, my VIN showed no dealer reflash update, god I hate dealers. I am sure you can find a dealer who will just give you the reflash, but for some it will be hard.

Quick Reply: "Blips" at full throttle?