Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

After this weekend I've decided I don't want a 6MT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mind the short gearing in 5th a lot less than I did when I first bought it. I've taken it on a 500 mile trip and to/from LAX 3 times...it's fine, really-especially since I have a nicer highway car to fall back on.

I suppose you can justify the choice they had:

put in a strong 5 speed with bigger, fatter gears and bearings or...

run the older 6 speed from the MR that used to break easily.

broken transmissions seem to be a mitsu trademark, perhaps this newer 5 speed is a gift disguised as an inferior option.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
evo is a rally car, no need for cruising gears..

I rather have a strong 5 then a comfy 6 .

But i would say for DD or light track the SST is ideal.
For more serius ideas the 5 MT is the best choice.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 6 gears I have in my MR. I'm going to agree with the idea of the G35 not having enough power.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
All of my manual transmissions have been 4 or 5 speeds (did I just date myself by admitting to a 4 speed? Guess it's better than a 3 speed!).

My wife's car is a G35 sedan with the 6 speed transmission and we took a trip up to her family's house this weekend.

For cruising, the 6th speed was great because @ 80 we were barely at 3000 rpm (which is 60 in 5th in the Evo).

But around town? In the twisty roads we took for fun? It kind of sucked. To much shifting. Too many gates to play with. Too much thinking.

Is it just because I'm not used to it? Or is that what it's like living with a 6mt? I remember reading and seeing (Top Gear ) that the IS-F with the 8 speed auto is *always* hunting and changing gears and it changes the dynamic of the car. You might think it's better, but it actually makes driving the car in a spirited manner less joyful.

Maybe if it was just a 6th gear solely for cruising with some ridiculously gearing for fuel economy? Not sure it would be worth making the transmission weaker for though... The X isn't really a highway cruiser anyway.
lol...4-speed manual? Pretty sure they stopped making 4-speed manuals when I was born

Did you consider that maybe you didn't enjoy your spirited drive because you hopped into your wife's G35 from an Evo? The dynamics of the cars are pretty different, so it might not just be the gearbox that killed the mood.

I used to have a 6-speed transmission in my RSX-S, which it desperately needed in order to keep the car in the powerband. i think some cars can go without it (the Evo is one) but it wouldn't hurt to have a 6th gear for freeway cruising. People cited that a 5-speed is more stout, but the 6-speed units in the old MR can put down a lot of power without issues.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wongck
lol...4-speed manual? Pretty sure they stopped making 4-speed manuals when I was born

Did you consider that maybe you didn't enjoy your spirited drive because you hopped into your wife's G35 from an Evo? The dynamics of the cars are pretty different, so it might not just be the gearbox that killed the mood.

I used to have a 6-speed transmission in my RSX-S, which it desperately needed in order to keep the car in the powerband. i think some cars can go without it (the Evo is one) but it wouldn't hurt to have a 6th gear for freeway cruising. People cited that a 5-speed is more stout, but the 6-speed units in the old MR can put down a lot of power without issues.
the 5 speed is waaay more stout. Just for a record.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I loved the 6 speeds on my s2k, but it was alot of shifting. i usually just went 1,3,6 when I shifted. It gave great gas miilage and shifted fine without any long term detrimental effects.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

I get 22mpg out of my Viper. Thanks to 6th gear.

WM
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spunkysandoval
I loved the 6 speeds on my s2k, but it was alot of shifting. i usually just went 1,3,6 when I shifted. It gave great gas miilage and shifted fine without any long term detrimental effects.
lol

i know a lot of 6mt drivers rarely use the 6th gear unless on the highway...that's all it is, it's just a cruising gear.

less shifting = win for me, however.

my previous car cruises on 5th gear at 4000rpm...so the 3k on the gsr is actually a godsend for me.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

to each his own....some like slim, some like fat, some like tall and some like short...and since the GSR only come in 5MT, live with it...

I personally like the 5MT as the fifth gear always keep me in the powerband along freeway speed and the in-gear acceleration rate are really wonderful.....
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by unclecomfort
to each his own....some like slim, some like fat, some like tall and some like short...and since the GSR only come in 5MT, live with it...

I personally like the 5MT as the fifth gear always keep me in the powerband along freeway speed and the in-gear acceleration rate are really wonderful.....
I love slim & leggy.

Back to topic. I would love a 6th gear. But I guess its not necessary if most of your driving is in city & low speed limit roads, or if you like to have strong power band & do spirited drive on daily basis.

However, if mostof the driving is on high speed freeway/motorway, I guess the 6 speed will be nice from fuel economy & noise level stand points.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:36 PM

i don't know how the evo's 6 speed is setup, but driving a friends STI i was playing with the "idiot lever" on the shift knob. The lever is obviously there to keep you from slamming the car into reverse. i could easily see myself playing with that lever slowing down, or taking off and slamming the car into reverse since it is not the typical 5 speed pattern that i have driven my entire life.

I am sure this wouldn't be a problem after owning/driving a 6 speed car for a while, but the new pattern is something i would have to take into consideration the first week of driving.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mr20turbo
i don't know how the evo's 6 speed is setup
The shifting pattern is identical. I believe it also has a locking collar to keep you from throwing it into reverse accidentally. This is more of an issue on 6 speeds than 5 speeds because on a 5 speed you will never push over and down as you would on a 6 speed. That said, I'd like to see all manuals have a reverse lockout just in case you forget you only have 5 forward gears, etc...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkeyAndy
The shifting pattern is identical. I believe it also has a locking collar to keep you from throwing it into reverse accidentally. This is more of an issue on 6 speeds than 5 speeds because on a 5 speed you will never push over and down as you would on a 6 speed. That said, I'd like to see all manuals have a reverse lockout just in case you forget you only have 5 forward gears, etc...
+ 1.

I had a Fiat Punto that has a lock at the lever, so you won't accidentally engage reverse. Its a very nice design.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:31 PM

You will love yourself eventually with 6 gears. that tranny is made so that whever you decide to do anything with your car you wont have to upgrade. with extra stuff on your car your motor will be reving up faster so before you know it you will be in sixth gear.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
x2

My car is a six speed manual and its fifth is much taller than the Evo's 5th gear.

I've never driven another manual car that needs a sixth gear as desperately as an X GSR. It would help fuel economy and stop the car from going WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE on the interstate at 80mph.
X 1,000

If done properly that is, slightly shorter 5th than we have now plus a BIG 6th for interstate duties.