Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbo noise?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo noise?

Just got back from a drive and heard a whiring sort of pulsing noise. This only seems to happen when the car is warmed up and when it is warm out, which it just started here to reach plus degree temperatures. This is my first turbo car and wondered if this was normal, can you hear the turbo whir inside the car? Seems to happen the loudest at 3000rpm
Old Mar 7, 2009, 02:46 PM

Well its normal to a point, but if its more of grinding noise then that might not be good. Check for shaft play, or any oil residue(a little bit is ok but it depends on how much is there), or if the car smokes.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:21 PM

Well it does smoke a bit from what I can tell from driving it, I've never followed the car but I thought all evo's smoked a bit? It's not a grinding noise more just when it gets warm a sort of spin cycle washing machine noise whirring only higher pitched. Do others hear this or is it mine??
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
No, you can not hear the turbo.

I think what you're hearing is the transfer case; it does make a bit of a whining noise. Try this test: driving at 3k where you say it's loudest, push in the clutch and put the car in neutral. If the noise goes away, it's probably the transfer case, which is normal (unless it's REALLY loud).
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:37 PM

No it does it well not driving, but goes up and down with the throttle. I think I will have to add this to the list of warranty issues for my dealership
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I hear this also and I have posted about it before and I also described it as a "whirling" noise. I dont hear it at speed more or less i can only hear in when driving through a parking lot or my neighborhood and just revving the car. Here is the thread where I posted about it and some boost flutter:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-flutter.html

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Mar 8, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
It could be an exhaust leak then. i think someone else either had the turbo come loose from the manifold, or the exhaust elbow come loose from the turbo.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I just recently put in a HKS drop-in filter and that described noise noticeably got louder.

I'm pretty sure you're just hearing the surge of air running through the intake and/or tubing with some turbo spool if you have any kind of intake mod.

The HKS drop-in makes a feint blowoff valve sound as well when lifting off the throttle.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

if you change the air box at all your going to hear the turbo, sounds like a rushing of air under throttle and the blow off valve.. sounds like a blow off valve.. haha

with out changing the stock air box its REALY hard to hear the turbo or the BOV.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:19 AM

I hear the same sound, and it seems like it's all the new Evo X owners who are noticing it because I think its a normal sound with the engine or drivetrain. It kind of sounds like a fire truck siren winding down. It is audible in gear and out, so I believe it is something in the engine. I just want to find out if all Evo X's make the sound and if it is normal... I'm going to test drive another Evo to find out if they make it, though I did notice it more after the engine was getting broken in. The other noises I hear when it is cold is the transfer case, which is a very high pitched whine, and you can't really hear the turbo ever on a stock Evo without listening really closely.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:40 AM

I am just coming out of an 08 WRX, supposed to get my X today. The TD04 in the Subaru had a very audible whining noise stock and even more so with a cold air on it. I would put money on it is the turbo spooling, specially if you are hearing it most in 3rd gear where most turbo cars make the most horsepower. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I get mine today I will let you know if I notice it.

Seth