Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Don't forget the car tax is much higher in the UK, the evo would be closer to 50k after all the conversions and taxing.
Cars are silly expensive in Europe. Bimmers are cheaper to buy here in the USA than they are in Germany.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarkM
RS is £25k, evo starts at £28.5 k for the FQ300 GS up to £38.5k for the FQ360 GSR in the UK
NI=Northern Ireland?
Very hard to know where everyone came from as everyone like to use Abbreviation.

I think its £45k for FQ400. Also insurance group is 19 for FQ300 but 20 for FQ360 & 400 last I check.

RS price of 25k looks pretty good. I can see someone shopping for an sport car within the price range might look out for the Ford too. Love the look & the interior is of much better quality. Mod potential will be much lower than EVo though.

A good daily car if you ask me.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiadaw
NI=Northern Ireland?
Very hard to know where everyone came from as everyone like to use Abbreviation.
correct
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Good video but odd choices for a comparison.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

they didnt compare anything more than an ignorant kid would.... oooohhhh greeen, ooohhh turbo...
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cyniclaus
I hate it when a car wins a performance test based on looks when it loses in the other categories.

Anyway, the Evo is not in competition with this car A real matchup would be the Focus RS versus the Cobalt SS and the MS3.
My thoughts exactly...foucus, civic, cobalt, ms3

135, A4, R32
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Reefer650
My thoughts exactly...foucus, civic, cobalt, ms3

135, A4, R32
I disagree completely. I think people are too quick to force comparisons based on platforms (FWD, RWD) , price (luxury, vs economy), or geography (european, japanese). This was a nice "enthusiast" comparison, since any of these cars would be cross shopped I believe by the kind of person on a site like evom. If a car is good who cares if it's FWD, RWD or AWD. I agree the reviews were a bit infantile, but I think the selection of cars was excellent. I literally could see myself buying any of these cars and of course did buy one of them , and I liked the contrast between the different set-ups and styling with similar end results. For a better review of the RS see the 5th gear review by Jason Plato a professional driver.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

It has nothing to do with the Mustang and don't be surprised if you don't eventually see the RS over here, Ford has re-opened the Cleveland facility and are know calling it "ECOBoost". They will be building V6 engines which are turbo charged and eventually other turbo charged engines as well if the economy picks up, the Mustang is getting a twin turbo V6 which will crush the RS and EVO's alike!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:15 PM

Mustang with twin turbo??? I don't know about that one....

I actually love the new EcoBoost Engine (V6 with twins), thinking about getting the wife the new Ford Taurus SHO....so I can mess around with it...

Shoot, I would love a mustang with twins in it....but ask any true-blue Pony owner about going from a V8 to a blown 6...they would consider it sacriligious... Which really puts Ford in a pickle because when the new camaro comes out it's going to blow away the Stang. But if they go with a V6 Blown Stang, they would lose the loyal customers who are anti-boost.

I want a EcoBoost twin turbo EVOX )

Originally Posted by Xtremist
It has nothing to do with the Mustang and don't be surprised if you don't eventually see the RS over here, Ford has re-opened the Cleveland facility and are know calling it "ECOBoost". They will be building V6 engines which are turbo charged and eventually other turbo charged engines as well if the economy picks up, the Mustang is getting a twin turbo V6 which will crush the RS and EVO's alike!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:44 PM

and if I may take the liberty of saying something sacrilegious here, we have to contemplate Mitsu might pull out of North America altogether or the EVO in particular (hopefully not). But if so , that might open up the market and make room for another "rally inspired sport compact". The issue with the RS is that I don't think Ford has adopted the mind set they can sell a compact car for 25K. In Europe it's accepted that a nicely equipped compact does not have to have economy pricing. My view is that in today's world global brands have much more cross border appeal and cars like the GTR or RS can get a lot of buzz even before they are introduced to a new market.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Mustang doesn't have independent rear suspension...it's a pile of crap.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mike100
I agree.
I live in the South, so the pride, support, and defense of the Mustang is pretty high. Its sort of a halo car for Ford, selling on marketing and nostalgia more than performance. Sure, you can throw a couple grand at an old Fox and be insanely fast in the quarter mile, but the modern 05+ Mustang GT is a one trick pony, they aren't nearly as affordable as they used to be when you consider you get medicore performance

There were some interesting ones along the way that broke the mold (2000 Cobra R comes to mind), but they've stayed archaic and crude.

On my local forum, you mention a fast Focus, and they get all incredulous, up in arms, and start spewing dip everywhere about why a Focus that could outperform a Mustang is stupid/impossible.

To me, that Focus RS is such a better snapshot of what a performance car should be, its a shame we'll never get one.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

With the Euro Focus coming here, it could be possible that we might eventually see the RS. I did see something last week where the Focus ST is now gonna be sold in Mexico or something.

As far as the ECOboost engines, pretty much alot of the Ford vehicles will be powered by versions of the ECOboost.

Mustang, Edge, MKS, MKT, Fusion, and I've also heard the F-150 may get a version of it as well. There are others as well.

Originally Posted by EVOX_SPEED3
I actually love the new EcoBoost Engine (V6 with twins), thinking about getting the wife the new Ford Taurus SHO....so I can mess around with it...

Shoot, I would love a mustang with twins in it....but ask any true-blue Pony owner about going from a V8 to a blown 6...they would consider it sacriligious... Which really puts Ford in a pickle because when the new camaro comes out it's going to blow away the Stang. But if they go with a V6 Blown Stang, they would lose the loyal customers who are anti-boost.

I want a EcoBoost twin turbo EVOX )
The new F-150 is suppose to have a 6.2L in it next year I believe. My guess, Ford will be putting a version of that in the Mustang GT. I've read something about the Mustang being bumped up to 400hp or a lil more. Of course Ford can't have a V6 making more power than thier V8 powered Mustang.

Originally Posted by mike100
Check the Grand Am Cup and see how the pile of crap Mustang does against IRS equipped cars. I believe they have held thier own with thier crap suspension.

I guess the Vette, Z06, and ZR-1 is crap too cause it uses leaf springs.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at 4 cars when I bought my evo. G35 6MT, 135i, evo X, and after reading early reviews of the evo x I decided to pick up a low mile ix while I still could.

I chose the ix because I wanted go cart handling, all wheel drive, and it was quickest in a straight line. G35 is a nice daily driver, but cornering grip is low. The Bimmer suffers from two few doors for me and my little one, and the kicker is the lack of limited slip diff.

I really like the idea of the focus RS, but give it rear or AWD, because it is fun to get on the gas too early and get sideways. It is not fun to slide headfirst into the guardrail. I hope the American car companies get into the hot hatches, and light weight Turbo performance vehicles, because I want to buy American.

Right now if I were going to buy a car I would like the Pontiac G8 with 425 HP. That is American muscle done right. Good suspension and good handling.

Quote from Corey "I guess the Vette, Z06, and ZR-1 is crap too cause it uses leaf springs."

The Corvette has double wishbone suspension with transverse composite springs, and magnetic damper control developed by Ferrari. I know it was a joke, but if the point is that the mustang suspension is good, it is not.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icole

Right now if I were going to buy a car I would like the Pontiac G8 with 425 HP. That is American muscle done right. Good suspension and good handling.

The irony of that statement, mate! The cup holder diameter in the G8 fits a jar of vegemite perfectly.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!