Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This makes me want my RS (original) again...

Soooo much fun.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Because it would make the Rustang look like crap, and they can't have a Focus doing that to the Mustang GT.
unfortunately, Noize is right. You dont want sales of a "lower" model cannibalizing more "premium" models. That's also why rumors are that the next STi will get a bump in performance to widen the gap from the 09 wrx's performance.

I'd personally love to have an RS as a daily driver, it looks like it'd be loads of fun.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jblade
unfortunately, Noize is right. You dont want sales of a "lower" model cannibalizing more "premium" models. That's also why rumors are that the next STi will get a bump in performance to widen the gap from the 09 wrx's performance.

I'd personally love to have an RS as a daily driver, it looks like it'd be loads of fun.
Unfortunately, I don't think the RS will make it here , but that to me has more to do with the perception of the focus here in the states and it would need to cost at least 25k, and also the current environment generally not being conducive to selling high performance cars.

I think the demographic between mustang and RS buyers would be so much different that there wouldn't be much cannibalization at all. For example, I don't think WRX and Mustangs are cross shopped much, and this car would compete with the WRX most directly or MS3 (and GTI, STI and EVO to some extent). Incidentally the new Mustang is still a faster car with more grip (lateral believe it or not). I'd say these are more different than say a 335i is to the M3 (and BTW have about the same spread in straight line performance) and BMW finds room under the tent for both.

I think it would be a smart move because it would give their small European derived car push (fiesta , focus) a halo car though even with the euro's weakening I'm not sure about the economics of it being produced in Europe and sold here, though the same could be said of japanese cars produced given the strong yen. Anyway, kudos to ford for improvements to the mustang, the focus rs, and bringing back the SHO while other manufacturers get blander by the day (I'm lookin at you Honda/ Acura and Toyota).
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:45 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ZerLp
Why hasn't ford released the RS stateside? that **** would sell like hotcakes..
Because it would end up costing $30k plus, and it wouldn't sell all that well at that price point.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes, I just don't understand American Automakers.

Good Models like Fiasta & Ka, & Euro Focus hatch are Europe only models, & No major sports cars, like Covette, Mustang, Camaro, are being released for Right hand drive market,......& they wonder why they are in trouble now....
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:11 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Up until very recently, small cars weren't in vogue. The big 3 just provided what American consumers wanted (trucks, big sedans, tall wagons, and sports cars).
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06evors
And domestic automakers wonder why oh why don't americans buy american cars.
Things are changing. I used to work at Ford back when Bill Ford was still CEO and the feeling I got was that North American PD (product development) got all the breaks even though the euro fords were clearly superior. Now that Bill has stepped back from the day-to-day business of running Ford and Mulally is in charge, you'll start seeing more of the Euro Fords here. First will be the Fiesta, then the Kuga, and the next Focus will be basically the same car worldwide. So times are changing, and that's probably why Ford isn't in the toilet like GM and Chrysler. I'd bet against the RS- with gas back around $2, the market for a $35K fwd Focus isn't huge, especially with no interest in WRC here.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by toro10
I think the demographic between mustang and RS buyers would be so much different that there wouldn't be much cannibalization at all. For example, I don't think WRX and Mustangs are cross shopped much, and this car would compete with the WRX most directly or MS3 (and GTI, STI and EVO to some extent).
While what you're saying is correct, there's more to the story. I don't think they fear any real sales shift, but a trend shift. The Focus RS is not a sales problem for Ford USA, but a marketing one.

While the RS might not be full tilt boogie as a FWD, there lies through Volvo and Mazda tooling the ability to make the RS something truly great- a 300 HP plus fire breathing AWD iteration with grip for days. Such a car could compete with and probably even best Evos and STIs with little trouble. Such a car should be able to be produced for low-mod thirties. Such a car would humiliate a Mustang GT in every measurable aspect of performance.

Look around, the Mustang is old. In the eighties and early nineties, it was peerless. Now its an also-ran being outclassed by four cylinders around a racetrack.

Incidentally the new Mustang is still a faster car with more grip (lateral believe it or not).
I call shenanigans, but I can't prove it regarding the Focus. If that RS is even close to that Evo or that 135i around a racetrack, it would crush the Mustang GT. Look at SCCA classifications, look at your local chapter results, heck- look at the Lightning Lap, where the Mustang GT got obliterated by the Cobalt SS, Evo, 135i, and a host of other cars. It took the GT500 to actually run a good time there.

I'd say these are more different than say a 335i is to the M3 (and BTW have about the same spread in straight line performance) and BMW finds room under the tent for both.
The 335i doesn't make the M3 look like crap while costing so much less. Sure, you can make it have more power with a minimal investment, but you have no differential and a much lower quality of materials. BMW is not stupid with their motorsports line. Its a dramatic step up from the non //M line.

A Focus RS, however, is factory boosted and will be easier to do a lot of things with than a Mustang GT. Make an AWD version, and that multiplies tenfold. It won't convert the rednecks, but it will still expose the Mustang as the pile of crap it really is to the Ford faithful. Their marketing team will never, ever let it happen.

I think it would be a smart move because it would give their small European derived car push (fiesta , focus) a halo car though even with the euro's weakening I'm not sure about the economics of it being produced in Europe and sold here, though the same could be said of japanese cars produced given the strong yen. Anyway, kudos to ford for improvements to the mustang, the focus rs, and bringing back the SHO while other manufacturers get blander by the day (I'm lookin at you Honda/ Acura and Toyota).
Ford can only go up. Rock bottom tastes like asphalt. Trust me, they know, and they're already doing a lot better than their cousins and competition in Detroit.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have to drive my vehicle in snowy conditions, so unless the car has at least AWD, I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't care how nice the Ford RS is, it doesn't have AWD.

Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

If you want to get technical there was a limited run awd mustang GT's called G traction.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by noize
while what you're saying is correct, there's more to the story. I don't think they fear any real sales shift, but a trend shift. The focus rs is not a sales problem for ford usa, but a marketing one.

While the rs might not be full tilt boogie as a fwd, there lies through volvo and mazda tooling the ability to make the rs something truly great- a 300 hp plus fire breathing awd iteration with grip for days. Such a car could compete with and probably even best evos and stis with little trouble. Such a car should be able to be produced for low-mod thirties. Such a car would humiliate a mustang gt in every measurable aspect of performance.

Look around, the mustang is old. In the eighties and early nineties, it was peerless. Now its an also-ran being outclassed by four cylinders around a racetrack.

I call shenanigans, but i can't prove it regarding the focus. If that rs is even close to that evo or that 135i around a racetrack, it would crush the mustang gt. Look at scca classifications, look at your local chapter results, heck- look at the lightning lap, where the mustang gt got obliterated by the cobalt ss, evo, 135i, and a host of other cars. It took the gt500 to actually run a good time there.

The 335i doesn't make the m3 look like crap while costing so much less. Sure, you can make it have more power with a minimal investment, but you have no differential and a much lower quality of materials. Bmw is not stupid with their motorsports line. Its a dramatic step up from the non //m line.

A focus rs, however, is factory boosted and will be easier to do a lot of things with than a mustang gt. Make an awd version, and that multiplies tenfold. It won't convert the rednecks, but it will still expose the mustang as the pile of crap it really is to the ford faithful. Their marketing team will never, ever let it happen.

Ford can only go up. Rock bottom tastes like asphalt. Trust me, they know, and they're already doing a lot better than their cousins and competition in detroit.
+1 exactly

Though.. I really love this new gen RS
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike100
The irony of that statement, mate! The cup holder diameter in the G8 fits a jar of vegemite perfectly.
I know it is an Australian developed car
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:04 PM

To me this comparison was quite stupid. You have AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD on one stretch of twisty road. There was not one scientific thing about the whole damn test.

That being said...there is no way the RS is coming here in this economy regardless of the mustang stuff. Ford is the best shape of the big 3(that is not saying a lot) and they can not risk losing anymore money. The SVT Focus was a great car, but it was also a failure and cost under $20,000. Imagine them trying to sell a $27,000-28,000+ Focus now. If for some crazy reason the $38,000+ SHO Taurus ends up being a smash hit, then maybe things will change.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

That focus RS is pretty cool, but it's still handicapped by the FWD layout though (especially once more power is added), and until they make it with AWD and bring it to the states, it's nothing for us evo owners to worry about. BUT, If an AWD version came out and hit domestic shores, it would give EVOs and STIs some real trouble. Lightweight, 5 turbo charged cylinders, AWD... need I say more? If the block is anything but open deck, internals are strong, and the head design is good, power potential on that thing would be outrageous.

If the AWD system was well designed and didn't have understeer issues, the EVO might be dethroned. The good news: this will never happen because it would put the car in a price/performance bracket that would compete with the EVO and STi which would leave the mustang in limbo and, just like Noize said, would completely expose it as the pile of crap that it really is and Ford's marketing team would NEVER let that happen. It would grab a new, but small demographic and turn away it's primary demographic; white trash . The EVO is safe for now...

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 9, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
That focus RS is pretty cool, but it's still handicapped by the FWD layout though (especially once more power is added), and until they make it with AWD and bring it to the states, it's nothing for us evo owners to worry about. BUT, If an AWD version came out and hit domestic shores, it would give EVOs and STIs some real trouble. Lightweight, 5 turbo charged cylinders, AWD... need I say more? If the block is anything but open deck, internals are strong, and the head design is good, power potential on that thing would be outrageous.

If the AWD system was well designed and didn't have understeer issues, the EVO might be dethroned. The good news: this will never happen because it would put the car in a price/performance bracket that would compete with the EVO and STi which would leave the mustang in limbo and, just like Noize said, would completely expose it as the pile of crap that it really is and Ford's marketing team would NEVER let that happen. It would grab a new, but small demographic and turn away it's primary demographic; white trash . The EVO is safe for now...
I'd buy it with a good AWD system

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!