Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
If the price was right I'd consider a RS.
+1. Brand loyalty gets one nowhere. I'd definitely atleast consider it if it were available. But in all honesty, I would not cross-shop it with an Evo. Probably a mazdaspeed 3. The Evo and Focus are both rally cars but achieve the results in a very very different way. In my opinion, the only Common thing about them is that they are both rally cars and they both have a turbocharger. That's it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MKULTRA
Ill take my x over a ford anyday.
I do not know your reasoning for this, but I think your predisposition towards a mitsu is flawed. The RS was initially planned to have an AWD too. Probably not as good as the Evo, but its a possibility in the future considering they already planned and designed it with an AWD in mind.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
+1. Brand loyalty gets one nowhere. I'd definitely atleast consider it if it were available. But in all honesty, I would not cross-shop it with an Evo. Probably a mazdaspeed 3. The Evo and Focus are both rally cars but achieve the results in a very very different way. In my opinion, the only Common thing about them is that they are both rally cars and they both have a turbocharger. That's it.
Yeah, if the price was the same I'd take the Evo but if the RS was around $5k less I'd consider it.

Noticed you're in KOP, can't say I've seen a GG X yet.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
They are two cars meant to do two different things. My point was that the Mustangs suspension does fine for what most people use it for and that is either just driving it around or drag racing. When modded, the suspension has been proven to be able to compete with IRS equipped cars on the circuit. Its not like the Mustang has all these suspension mods and all the other cars its running against are on stock susupension. Besides, it having a solid axle keeps the cost of the car down. Why change something that the buyer wants, doesn't care about, and make it more expensive?
Turd polish is good stuff. You can make anything fast, but there are infinitely better choices out there for a track star than a Mustang.

While I agree completely that they do two different things and that no true Mustang lover would want a hotted up Focus, the Focus could do well in the USA, particularly if they'd use existing parts bin to make an AWD version.

An AWD turbo-5 Focus would be a niche car, but it would be a Mustang destroyer. Easily moddable due to factory forced induction, already built on a chassis that is one of the best handling FWD based platforms in the world, and a lot lighter weight.

There is everything to like about it. And from a purist standpoint of what a great car is about, its better than the Mustang all around. Nostalgia takes the back seat to real performance.

Originally Posted by toro10
Not that direct injection is the end all / be all , etc.. but both Ford and GM offer DI engines (unlike Mitsu or Suby) in contrast to popular beliefs that American manufacturers have primitive technology across the board (heck even the "base" engine in the 23K Camaro will be reasonably impressive).
There was talk of a DI Evo X early on, but it was scrapped. I think that was wise, because DI is a huge hinderance in a tuner car, especially a turbocharged one. Look at the Mazda MZR and the BMW N54 for proof. They make good power to a point, but if you want a big turbo, there aren't parts available to fuel them adequately. There are also issues such as rev limit, throttle plates that shut, and HPFP issues in addition to the injectors.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:37 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Mitsubishi sucks. If the cars were priced similarly and performed similarly, I'd take the Ford without hesitation. At least Ford honors their warranty.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

^ +1
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Mitsubishi sucks. If the cars were priced similarly and performed similarly, I'd take the Ford without hesitation. At least Ford honors their warranty.
Seriously, you believe that Ford dealers are going to overlook boost controllers, piggy back fuel controllers, bigger turbos and dumped BOV's and cover everything for the toonerz if they do release that car here?

Nope.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Quality between US and other global car manufacturers has converged in recent years and if anything I'd bet the quality on a focus and fit and finish is likely to be better than the EVO (not that is why I or anyone else buys an EVO).
Why would you bet that the Focus has better fit and finish then the Evo?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Seriously, you believe that Ford dealers are going to overlook boost controllers, piggy back fuel controllers, bigger turbos and dumped BOV's if they do release that car?

Nope.
Mitsubishi voided (and still voids) warranties on essentially stock cars with little or no cause. You don't remember the hundreds of Evo 8 owners who got shafted on their entire car warranty because they went to an auto-x event or put on a turbo timer? It hasn't gotten any better from what I've gathered.

I wouldn't expect Mitsubishi to fix an engine with a GT37R bolted on, but Mitsubishi's attitude is "**** you, you fix it".
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi voided (and still voids) warranties on essentially stock cars with little or no cause. You don't remember the hundreds of Evo 8 owners who got shafted on their entire car warranty because they went to an auto-x event or put on a turbo timer? It hasn't gotten any better from what I've gathered.

I wouldn't expect Mitsubishi to fix an engine with a GT37R bolted on, but Mitsubishi's attitude is "**** you, you fix it".
I remember people saying that, but in my own personal experience, I have been treated very well by them. I remember them letting things slide when I worked for them that were more then just a turbo timer. And after I no longer worked for them and had to go to a different dealer for my own car, I got warranty work done with no hassles.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Don't you have to make a claim before they can void your warranty?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Warranties cannot be voided, only claims made against warranties can be. It ensures that you are still covered for other stuff that might have been cause by no fault of yours.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Your one of those that think American automakers still make primative engines and crappy cars and that all imports are completely flawless. You couldn't be more wrong. You heard about the Tacoma frame rust issues? Look it up cause there are about 850,000 of them being recalled and the frames basically rusting out from under them causing them to break in half.

why , out of extreme fanboism (or nationalism) ? Seriously I love my X , but I try to stay objective and open minded.

Quality between US and other global car manufacturers has converged in recent years and if anything I'd bet the quality on a focus and fit and finish is likely to be better than the EVO (not that is why I or anyone else buys an EVO).

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, rather than investing my sense of self worth in my car brand. I've also had US automakers fix things outside warranty (sometimes a year after it expired) on goodwill - imagine Mitsu doing something like that. Finally, generally speaking I dont believe GM or Ford get much credit for engine advances they have made. Not that direct injection is the end all / be all , etc.. but both Ford and GM offer DI engines (unlike Mitsu or Suby) in contrast to popular beliefs that American manufacturers have primitive technology across the board (heck even the "base" engine in the 23K Camaro will be reasonably impressive).
Someone has some sense and just doesn't follow along with the American car bashing.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Why would you bet that the Focus has better fit and finish then the Evo?
Because the euro Focus is a completely different car from the Focus we have here in the states. The only good thing about my Evo is the sterring wheel, seats, and shifter. Everything else is....well...plain.

Originally Posted by Noize
Turd polish is good stuff. You can make anything fast, but there are infinitely better choices out there for a track star than a Mustang.

While I agree completely that they do two different things and that no true Mustang lover would want a hotted up Focus, the Focus could do well in the USA, particularly if they'd use existing parts bin to make an AWD version.

An AWD turbo-5 Focus would be a niche car, but it would be a Mustang destroyer. Easily moddable due to factory forced induction, already built on a chassis that is one of the best handling FWD based platforms in the world, and a lot lighter weight.

There is everything to like about it. And from a purist standpoint of what a great car is about, its better than the Mustang all around. Nostalgia takes the back seat to real performance.
The Mustang still sells great for a reason, cause its a good car that performs great, sounds great, looks is personal choice, and is affordable. I agree that if the RS was AWD it would kill the GT, but you also have the GT500 and the GT500 KR and thats not counting the ones coming out with the ECOboost and larger V8 in a few years. Not everyone autocrosses or goes to road courses. I never said it wasn't a better car, just giving the Mustang a little more credit than you and a few other people. I've owned two and they both did exactly what I wanted them to do and that was to go fast in a straight line for cheap. I can't complain one bit other than not having enough room for my two boys in the back. I'd still have my 500whp 04' if they fit back there.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Someone has some sense and just doesn't follow along with the American car bashing.
Where did he bash the Focus? All he said was he prefers his Mitsu. Odd, that somone would show enthusiasm for a Mitsubishi on a Mitubishi Enthusiast Network site and get called out for it.
Because the euro Focus is a completely different car from the Focus we have here in the states. The only good thing about my Evo is the sterring wheel, seats, and shifter. Everything else is....well...plain.
Until I can see, sit in and feel, drive one of these magical Fords that is head and shoulders above and so full of awesome over what we get here in the states, I just won't believe the hype. We as a culture always want what we can't have and always believe something somone else has to be so much better. I just don't think that way. American car makers have brought over Euro versions before and they haven't been 100% successful like they should be the way some people make them out to be. I am not saying the Focus is a bad car, I know the Euro Focus is better, but am I ready to assume its better then a Lancer in everyway and that I will automatically like it more then an Evo X?

No.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 11, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:13 AM
El Jefe

Yes, but once your VIN is flagged, any warranty claim is denied. That's how a lot of Mitsu****ty regionals run.

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
Warranties cannot be voided, only claims made against warranties can be. It ensures that you are still covered for other stuff that might have been cause by no fault of yours.
Which is exactly what Mitsu****ty doesn't do.

I've had some really good service experiences and some really bad ones, regardless of brand. But in my experience, Ford dealers/RSMs are better about honoring warranty claims than Mitsubishi, which is at or near the bottom when it comes to service...

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Evo X vs. FORD FOCUS RS & BMW 135i M Sport vs... Mustang? LOL!