Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Painting rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting rear diffuser

Has anyone thought about taking off the rear diffuser to get it painted flat black or gloss black or something (like the JDM Evo IX diffuser)? I am not digging the plastic and I think it would look great with just a minor paint job. Any opinions?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I think if you were going to do it you would also have to do the plastic on the wing and front bumper or it wouldn't look right... I personally wouldn't do it because its just something else that would end up getting chipped, scratched or faded.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I've thought about this as well... I think it would look good the same color I had on my JDM IX bumper, its like a gunmetal color. I think it would really look a lot better but would have to "smoothed" out some because it has that rough texture.

Joe
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by accrane
I think if you were going to do it you would also have to do the plastic on the wing and front bumper or it wouldn't look right... I personally wouldn't do it because its just something else that would end up getting chipped, scratched or faded.

i think paint it will look a lot better,beside it a rear diffuser not front bumper,so there will be a rare chance of end up getting chipped,cratched or faded.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by x-boosted
i think paint it will look a lot better,beside it a rear diffuser not front bumper,so there will be a rare chance of end up getting chipped,cratched or faded.
You will if you reverse a lot at 30mph over rocky road.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^or if someone carelessly rolls a shopping cart toward your car. This might have happened to my friend, less than 1 week after getting his GSR an inexplicable scuff showed up :/ I would suggest leaving it, but flat black would look good.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why go through the effort to paint it flat black, when it is already flat black? If I recall, it also sticks out a bit further than the painted part in the back so it's more likely to get chipped if a cart or car taps you. Manufacturers use a paint with a special bonding agent to allow their bumpers to flex without ruining the paint which you won't have access to. The exhaust tips and muffler itself sit pretty close, so there's the chance of heat damage.

It's not worth it, IMO.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ that's what i was going to say...isn't it already flat black or did i get a limited edition diffuser?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
^^^ that's what i was going to say...isn't it already flat black or did i get a limited edition diffuser?
Mine is not painted at all, just the standard plastic color. It seems like a hassle to do though, so now I'm kind of turned off to the idea...
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really understand the though process here, but to each their own. If it's what you want to do, go for it.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wongck
Mine is not painted at all, just the standard plastic color. It seems like a hassle to do though, so now I'm kind of turned off to the idea...
oh no, that's what i mean - the plastic is already in a flat black color (or semi-gloss if you count the protective layer).
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I also don't see a reason to paint the diffuser when it's already flat black. It's even better when it's plastic, because rock chips won't result in paint chips, etc. If you buy some Black Wow or some other kind of trim enhancer, it'll make the diffuser a deep black color.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, dont see any point in painting it... you are just asking for more problems later on and all you'll get is almost same black color as it already is.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

I always thought it was plastic, but to me it would look better if i was the gun-metal-gray colour that the 9 diffuser was.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

wongck: You have same color as me,it looks just fine w/GG.I personally wouldn't mess w/it.

Quick Reply: Painting rear diffuser