Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying a used MR; how can I check the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used MR; how can I check the transmission?

I am in the market for a used X MR. I know there isn't a true test to make sure the transmission hasn't been too badly abused, but are there certain signs I should look for when test driving an X MR?

Last edited by KY; Mar 28, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Why bother ? it is electronicly controled and can not be abused like a manual and warrenty will cover it (If it is standard) But after saying that I have been running 371 fly hp through mine for a year and 40,000 Km with no issues. Infact looking at going for a bit more.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:42 PM

He is talking about a evo 8 or 9 mr not a new one. During the test drive just shift through all gears and listen for grinding or any resistance in any of the gears but especially 4th. To be honest most people who bought an mr are the ones that could affort to take the car to the dealer for service and when I bought mine it had all the service records with it. Good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
KY
Evolving Member

I didn't know that. So even if the transmission is fed too much power it will protect itself?

I have read that it can get very hot, what will this do to it over time? Can it get to these extreme temperatures in stock form with hard driving?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by punker462606
He is talking about a evo 8 or 9 mr not a new one. During the test drive just shift through all gears and listen for grinding or any resistance in any of the gears but especially 4th. To be honest most people who bought an mr are the ones that could affort to take the car to the dealer for service and when I bought mine it had all the service records with it. Good luck.
I am sorry, I should have further clarified myself. I posted in this forum because I am interested in an X. Thanks for trying to help.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think even Mitsubishi could answer that question until they have had a few apart and know what to look for.

The only thing you could possibly do is crack the case fill plug and take a sample of the oil.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 04:44 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Well then, is this something I should even be worried about or should I just buy a new one or a used one from the dealer that has been certified?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it feels and drives fine I'd buy it. Especially if the price is right and the car is in mint condition. You'll have a warranty and as long as you don't mod it you wont have to worry about voiding it lol.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one can give you a definitive answer because everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop and a transmission to blow up.

That said; Mitsubishi would not have released the car and SST without doing exhaustive testing, but...

Best thing to do is buy it from a dealer and make sure (in writing) that they will honor the remainder of the warranty. You could also run a car-fax report to check if the car was in an accident.

If you want true peace of mind, buy a new one.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by punker462606

Carlos
Old May 31, 2009, 05:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NZEvox
Why bother ? it is electronicly controled and can not be abused like a manual and warrenty will cover it (If it is standard) But after saying that I have been running 371 fly hp through mine for a year and 40,000 Km with no issues. Infact looking at going for a bit more.
I'd love to know how you got fly wheel hp

As far a s the MR put it in sport mode and take it on a good run and listen. The drivetrain is 5 year/60,000 if it didnt have that I would not have bought a MR.
Old May 31, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Why buy used when you can get new for at or near the same price as used and qualify for 0%? I have seen used being sold for more than I paid for mine brand new.
Old May 31, 2009, 06:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the transmission out and disassemble the gear sets. Send the gear oil out to be analyzed.

If you mail the gear set to fromWRXtoEVO, he will look at them for you.

Old May 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

You may want to look for signs of modding. Look under the hold at the hose clamps, ask them to put the car on a lift and check the exhaust and bolts. Check out the condition of the exhaust and intercooler, does the wear match the mileage? This may give you some evidence to modding, something that may not be good for the transmission.

Good luck!