Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Test Drove an MR today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike100
seals?, what seals? Are you a former rotary owner?
LOL. good one.

Anyway, my car had 57 miles on it when I bought it... I have 10k now, no issues.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mendo
... Ask around, in the first 60 miles, the seals need to be broken in by driving at different speeds and different stopping speeds. This is usually done for you before you get the car, to have no risk damage. Pretty sure I didn't get played but, think as you will.

KoolZero, I got my RR X MR with the tech pkg, (navi, sound system), scuff plates, no aero kit thou (personally didn't like it) for $31K. I will say that there was a loaded one next to mine, silver for 34k. Haggling for a grand or so is perfectly reasonable I think.
Seals? What? They put 8 miles on mine and I was told that was to break in the Walrus. Seeing as I have a GSR then I have a walrus instead of the seal that comes standard in the MR. I've always wondered what was making all that noise by the passenger windshield section. Now I know!

It's also funny that neither of my 2 other Evos came with seals either and neither of them needed Mitsu tech 60 mile joyrides, I mean break-ins, for the seals. I have a bridge for sale if you're interested.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:53 PM

I took mine home w/ 4 miles on the meter. And the stock battery promptly died 2 weeks later, took it in and they replaced it + flashed the car too.

I would look at the vendor forum (further down the page). South Coast and Anaheim Mitsu prices are pretty aggressive, and I'm sure you can drive your dealer down to those prices if not more.

Good Luck w/ the purchase.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
I would probably try to haggle either of them down a bit more. Also, to break in the seals and such is done withing the first 60 miles, this is usually done by a mitsu tech so those miles on there might not necessarily be from use. When I first looked at the one I got, it had 4 miles on it but they told me I couldn't test drive it till next day, when I came back they had put exactly 60 miles on it.
The MR is great and friendly DD.
thats major rape man. i really hope that is not true
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:58 PM

Ok, I'm going to put my two cents in here and try to dispel some dealership rumors/myths. I'm the sales manager at a Mitsubishi, VW, Audi, Volvo, Nissan, Mercedes dealership. I just bought my EvoX yesterday. Let's go through the numbers (I'll give you the goods, I really don't care, I don't have any Evo's on the lot so it doesn't matter).

Let's use mine as an example: the MSRP on my GSR was $38,078...the invoice was $35,377. So figure no matter what the model you have around a $2,700 mark-up. Then the hold-back the dealer gets was $659 on mine, if the car was a $42,000 MSRP you'd probably have around an $800 holdback. Whether the dealer wants to give that to you is up to him. The you have a $1,000 rebate if you don't take the special APR. There is also a $2,000 dealer cash that the public doesn't see. The dealer gets that from Mitsu after the car is reported sold. Unless you have Mitsubishi loyalty, military, college grad, etc., that's it, there is nothing else. That's about as honest as I can be. It will change the 1st of every month.

By the way, the fact that the battery was dead is nothing new or anything to worry about. Go to any given lot and you'll find at least 20% of the cars are dead. People leave lights on, doors open, whatever. There's no way around it. But it's not an indication that the car was abused or that there's anything wrong with it. Nor is the 70 miles on a new car. We have to remember these are 2008 models. Some of these dealers have had these since late 2007. So if the car only has 70 miles it's not a big deal. You'll get a better deal if you find one with over 1,000 miles because it's been around a long time. I managed to find one with 162 miles, but that was after calling numerous dealers in the eastern region and finding out that they all have high miles. It's just test drive, gas runs, service drives, demos, etc. A car that's been around that long will be driven, doesn't mean abused. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoEllen
Hope that helps.
It sure does, thanks. I've been considering one with 600+ miles, but only if I can haggle down the price just a tad bit lower than the invoice-hold back-cash to dealer-military being that it has a ton of miles for a new car.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:27 PM

Like I said, if I have a car on the lot for more than 100 days I freak out and want to get rid of it for numerous reasons, so with the amount of Evo models out there right now you shouldn't have a problem. Don't let miles scare you, it's a new car and generally dealers don't abuse vehicles on their lots. They do have to drive them though, so miles happen.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoEllen
Hope that helps.
The dealer i finally went with came out and told me the low down on pricing (after i walked in with printouts of low prices) with no BS. It was a welcome change from the other dealer i went to that morning (with the same print outs) and i drove away with a new evo that evening. He also mentioned a bonus from mitsu from selling a certain quota of cars in a given month. I was so impressed about their approach I am in teh process of geting an outlander.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:17 PM

I had 14 miles the day i took mine home.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well I went down with my Murano and he wanted to only give me Fair KBB price of 12,675 for an 05 SE AWD Murano with reverse camera, navi, dvd entertainment, leather, tow, adjustable pedals, seat memory... It was in a minor accident, the front bumper was replaced and the repair was around 950 - 980. They said that it would also be less than the fair price because of the accident. When I went there I was going by Edmunds pricing and it said it was worth around 18,000, and he told me they never go by Edmunds pricing.

Does that make sense that since it was repaired it would still be worth less than the fair rating? I don't get how they're saying it's only Fair, according KBB to Fair it says some mechanical or cosmetic defects, needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition, clean title, history, the paint and body and/or interior need work performed by a professional, tires need replace, there may be some repairable rust damage.

The good classification is free of major defects (check) clean title history, the paints, body, and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are not major mechanical problems (check) Little if no rust (check) Tires match and have substantial tread wear left. (check) A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. (check)

Before I went down to this dealership, the salesman called me and said, "this is no dealer ploy or anything but we have a guy from out of town who is interested in the same car as you".

Anyway after he said he'd only give me fair value for it I said thanks and went out and got in my car and as I was driving away the guy comes running out and asks me how much I was wanting to get for my Z and I said same as what Edmunds was saying which was around 15k. He said well we may be able to work something out with the two cars. . I check KBB and the Z is only worth around 12 - 13k and Edmunds says 15.

Is it true that a lot of dealers don't like to go by what Edmunds shows a car is worth?

Last edited by koolzero; Apr 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

When I bought my evo during the end of November I traded in my 2003 350z and they gave me 15500. They are going to tell you that they don't follow KBB or edmunds, even though they reference KBB on their website. If you are serious about the car, I say you tell them you are ready to buy with the conditions you have.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rogue
When I bought my evo during the end of November I traded in my 2003 350z and they gave me 15500. They are going to tell you that they don't follow KBB or edmunds, even though they reference KBB on their website. If you are serious about the car, I say you tell them you are ready to buy with the conditions you have.
Yeah, if they're going to screw me then I'm walking.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by koolzero
Well I went down with my Murano and he wanted to only give me Fair KBB price of 12,675 for an 05 SE AWD Murano with reverse camera, navi, dvd entertainment, leather, tow, adjustable pedals, seat memory... It was in a minor accident, the front bumper was replaced and the repair was around 950 - 980. They said that it would also be less than the fair price because of the accident. When I went there I was going by Edmunds pricing and it said it was worth around 18,000, and he told me they never go by Edmunds pricing.

Does that make sense that since it was repaired it would still be worth less than the fair rating? I don't get how they're saying it's only Fair, according KBB to Fair it says some mechanical or cosmetic defects, needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition, clean title, history, the paint and body and/or interior need work performed by a professional, tires need replace, there may be some repairable rust damage.

The good classification is free of major defects (check) clean title history, the paints, body, and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are not major mechanical problems (check) Little if no rust (check) Tires match and have substantial tread wear left. (check) A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. (check)

Before I went down to this dealership, the salesman called me and said, "this is no dealer ploy or anything but we have a guy from out of town who is interested in the same car as you".

Anyway after he said he'd only give me fair value for it I said thanks and went out and got in my car and as I was driving away the guy comes running out and asks me how much I was wanting to get for my Z and I said same as what Edmunds was saying which was around 15k. He said well we may be able to work something out with the two cars. . I check KBB and the Z is only worth around 12 - 13k and Edmunds says 15.

Is it true that a lot of dealers don't like to go by what Edmunds shows a car is worth?
You cant expect to pay cost for the EVO and get top dollar for your trade. That is not how it works.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I work for a domestic vehicle dealer group, and I can tell you we NEVER use KBB.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:11 PM

Nobody I know uses KBB either

Quick Reply: Test Drove an MR today