Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Test Drove an MR today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove an MR today

I dealership near by has 3 MRs 2 with Navi. The 2 that are loaded are Red and Silver. I am interested in the Red one but unfortunately and, a bit worrisome, the battery was dead. They tried jumping it but didn't have any luck. So, after running my credit, I was given the keys to the Silver one, and was told to have fun! I didn't hot rod it because it wasn't broken in but it did have 70 miles on it so I imagine it has been abused some.

The sticker on the Red one was around 42+ ($36,993) and the Silver one was around 41 ($35,004) they are knocking off around 6K and this dealership also gives a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. Do you think this is a pretty good price? If the Red one also has around 70 miles do you think it could have been abused quite a bit? Anyone know why the prices between the 2 are different? It looked like they both had navi and the 30 or 40 gig hard drive.

I'm still doing research and trying to decide if this is what I really want. Between my wife and I we have 3 cars the two I would try and trade in would be 03 350Z and an 05 Nissan Murano, my wife drives an 06 Honda Odyssey. We also have a 2 yr old son.

I'm wanting to get rid of the Z because it's just not practical and it rarely gets driven and to not have any payments I would trade in the Murano. I would like to have a sporty car that I could take out with my family on occasion, although my wife is still a little hesitant on us riding around in the car with our son. She wants me to find out any safety results of the car.

What do you guys think of the car in terms of safety?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by koolzero; Apr 18, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

I would probably try to haggle either of them down a bit more. Also, to break in the seals and such is done withing the first 60 miles, this is usually done by a mitsu tech so those miles on there might not necessarily be from use. When I first looked at the one I got, it had 4 miles on it but they told me I couldn't test drive it till next day, when I came back they had put exactly 60 miles on it.
The MR is great and friendly DD.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

I too had an 03 Nissan Z. Loved it! However, it was not practical anymore so I sold it and purchased an X MR. When I purchased my X, it too was dead and needed a jump. The X Tech pachage has the keyless feature that is draining the battery. I guess it's like a phone that has the bluetooth feature. Once turned on, the phone battery dies quicker because it constantly senses for a bluetooth signal. Nothing to worry about though since the car has been sitting on the lot and was not driven for the alternator to charge up the battery. Anyhow, the X has airbags in the curtain, and the side Recaro's along with the steering wheel and passenger airbag. I too wanted a four door yet the handling and power of a sports car. I gotta say, I really enjoy driving my X. I have 11k on the odometer now and purchased it five months ago with only 45 miles. It's a great car. Only thing that bothers me a bit are the rattles from the glove box and around the driver and passenger window when driving over rough roads. But than again, this is an evo so the suspension is setup stiff and you feel the road more than a regular sedan. This car is amazing, I just can't wait till I can afford to throw some extra aftermarket parts at it to make it better.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it seemd to ride.

Mendo: how much down do you think I should try and haggle them? Do you think a grand seems unreasonable?

Anyone have any ideas why the prices are different? The online description of these cars aren't correct because it doesn't list navi.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

maybe this will help:
http://www.norcalevo.net/showthread.php?t=31112
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:12 PM

By the looks of it, you could drive the price down to 33k or so.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
MR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
What Others

National Base Price
MSRP - Invoice- What people are Paying
$38,290- $36,089 - $32,732
A note about advertising fees
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$315
F0 Accessory Navigation Package $1,999 $1,675 $1,675
Color Adjustment - - $0
Not Sure
Destination Charge $695 $695 $695
Total with Options $40,984 $38,459 $34,787
Incentives & Rebates -$2,000
Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $32,787

Last edited by patriot1991; Apr 18, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://inventory.autotrader.com/inve...e=new&address=

that counts the 2k cash back, 500 military and 500 mitsu owner. so add 3k if you want 0% financing and don't qualify for the other 2. People have got lower than Daytona's prices. look for the sticky at the top.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you really prefer the auto, I'd say a GSR and save some cash.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mendo
Also, to break in the seals and such is done withing the first 60 miles, this is usually done by a mitsu tech so those miles on there might not necessarily be from use. When I first looked at the one I got, it had 4 miles on it but they told me I couldn't test drive it till next day, when I came back they had put exactly 60 miles on it.
Seriously!? You believed them? Mitsu techs do not come break in Evo's for 60 miles. The break-in procedures are in the manual. You basically loaned someone your new car the beat the crap out of for a day before you took delivery. Sorry man. Feel free to ask around here but you got played.

That being said, to the original poster, 70 miles on a "new" car is damn near criminal. That is too much even for a test driven one. It is a used car that someone at the dealership likely borrowed many times. I would run as fast as I can from that dealer.

Maybe look at South Coast. I haven't peeked at their pricing/inventory lately but their pricing usually rocks and it might be worth it to have it shipped from them. They also have dedicated demo Evo's so you don't have to worry about 60+ miles of someone beating the crap out of the one you buy. Mine had all of a few miles on the odo from them.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LowTech302
Seriously!? You believed them? Mitsu techs do not come break in Evo's for 60 miles. The break-in procedures are in the manual. You basically loaned someone your new car the beat the crap out of for a day before you took delivery. Sorry man. Feel free to ask around here but you got played.

That being said, to the original poster, 70 miles on a "new" car is damn near criminal. That is too much even for a test driven one. It is a used car that someone at the dealership likely borrowed many times. I would run as fast as I can from that dealer.
... Ask around, in the first 60 miles, the seals need to be broken in by driving at different speeds and different stopping speeds. This is usually done for you before you get the car, to have no risk damage. Pretty sure I didn't get played but, think as you will.

KoolZero, I got my RR X MR with the tech pkg, (navi, sound system), scuff plates, no aero kit thou (personally didn't like it) for $31K. I will say that there was a loaded one next to mine, silver for 34k. Haggling for a grand or so is perfectly reasonable I think.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

The dealers website doesn't show all of the specs of the car is there somewhere else I can find the full details of it? I have the VIN from their site if that helps.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mendo
... Ask around, in the first 60 miles, the seals need to be broken in by driving at different speeds and different stopping speeds. This is usually done for you before you get the car, to have no risk damage. Pretty sure I didn't get played but, think as you will.

KoolZero, I got my RR X MR with the tech pkg, (navi, sound system), scuff plates, no aero kit thou (personally didn't like it) for $31K. I will say that there was a loaded one next to mine, silver for 34k. Haggling for a grand or so is perfectly reasonable I think.
is it a 08 evo thing? when i got my car it had 4 miles on it, i just took it home like that.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

My 350Z had 3 or 4 miles when I picked it up, but I pre-ordered it, and I was there to pick it up right when it got off the transporter.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

seals?, what seals? Are you a former rotary owner?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Im picking mine up friday and it has 31 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an MR today