Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X rear bumper defect?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X rear bumper defect?

i had my evo x for about a month now, and i've just noticed a small bump, size of pencil eraser, coming out from my rear bumper. you can definitely feel it and see it in person, but its hard to capture an image of it.

so i took it to JBA mitsubishi in glen burnie, md to have them exam it. according to their body shop manager, something is right behind the bumper and something pushed my bumper far enough to cause it. so they denied my warranty repair request and asked me to pay out of my pocket for a repair. to me, sounds like a BS!!!

next day, i took it to a reliable body shop. according to them, there is nothing behind the bumper that would cause such damage and no sign of anything pushed onto my bumper. body shop owner stated that it looks like a factory defect and i should try again at the dealership.

so i'm now stuck w couple options:
1. fight w dealer to get it fix and pray for quality repair
2. pay out of my pocket - $500 - for guarantee quality repair
3. or live with it

anybody have a picture of rear w/o the bumper? i want to see what can possibly cause a bumper to ding out.

and what should i do with my situation???
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the area behind the rear bumper is completely flat - there is nothing that can cause a bulge on your bumper, not like that anyway. but then again, the dealer can claim that someone else must have dented it, in which case it's wear and tear and thus they are not liable. so i don't think you can warranty your way out of this one.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:18 PM

i can understand if its denting in but this is denting OUT!!!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the dealer claims sounds like BS to me. I can't imagine how anything external (i.e. wear and tear) caused an outward bump.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

go back and complain! that should be warranty
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Actually the license plate light bulb assembly is right there behind the bumper. Someone bumped my rear bumper in a parking lot and it pushed the bumper out in that same spot. Mine is more noticeable. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:09 PM

=(

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Actually the license plate light bulb assembly is right there behind the bumper. Someone bumped my rear bumper in a parking lot and it pushed the bumper out in that same spot. Mine is more noticeable. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

i saw that assembly when i took out the rear bumper...it looks flat to me. but maybe i didn't look at it enough.

it doesn't matter for the dealer if it's dented in or out - you know they'll weasel out of it by saying something like "oh you must have took it out" etc etc. you can always argue it, but i don't know whether it will be successful is all.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Call Mitsubishi customer relations and plead your case to them. (888-mitsu09 I think) Be factual and courteous - it'll go a long way.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ agreed, mine was like this before I collected it, someone's bumped it, you can put your fingers in the gap above the plate and feel the plastic bracket the bumper was pressed onto I insisted on a new bumper as the car was brand new
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Fight with them over it! Dealership's need to stand up and take responsibility!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Have the Service Manager contact his Mitsubishi Factory Service Rep and have the Rep decide. If you're a good customer I don't see why they wouldn't help you out, especially since you're an Evo owner.