Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Moisture in the Headlight

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is total BS. i would demand for a new headlight. ask them to give you an official document about "air tight." mitsubishi service just plain suck!!!
Old May 8, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 628
And they'll say "show me where it says there *isn't* supposed to be moisture in there."

, true, true!
Old May 8, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
Update.

Apparently they are not supposed to be "air tight" so they will get mosture in them but it will dissapate, apparently with the HIDs they stopped making the headlights airtight due to the heat buildup of the headlights.

Or so the service department said.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks!
Well, I hope you're right...I have the same problem but it hasn't dissipated yet even in 90F weather.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've done a lot of research into the headlights field, mainly because i used to be really big in baking and opening my headlights, painting them, retrofitting, and all that other good (ricey) stuff. headlights are NOT supposed to be airtight. HOWEVER, they are not supposed to allow moisture to get inside either. the way this is done is usually by a small opening, covered with a very tight mesh (or a very small laminate cloth on my previous car), that does not allow moisture (or strictly speaking, water) to go in or out, but does allow air to go in and out, therefore providing an exit for the trapped heat inside the headlight while avoiding fogging issues. also, HIDs are supposed to generate much less heat than halogens due to lower wattage, and last i remember it was only lukewarm to the touch, not enough to vaporize water.

to clean off the moisture, given you have the SSS HID kit, here's what i suggest: cut out a small piece of microfiber cloth, and tape it to a flexible but strong stick of sorts (straw is my weapon of choice). shove it in from the DRL bulb opening by taking out the bulb, and wipe it down.

if you're too paranoid about it, just open the DRL bulb and let it bake in the sun. it will evaporate much faster.
Old May 8, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ Thanks for the step by step to solve the problem.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 628
And they'll say "show me where it says there *isn't* supposed to be moisture in there."
to which you reply " If it didn't come with it, its not supposed to have it. It was listed on the msrp sheet, so I'm not supposed to have it. "
Old May 8, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Update.

Apparently they are not supposed to be "air tight" so they will get mosture in them but it will dissapate, apparently with the HIDs they stopped making the headlights airtight due to the heat buildup of the headlights.

Thanks!
my 8's HIDs do this all the time the first time I was like ****!
but it went away.
I just turn on the headlights for the drive home and its gone
Old May 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
to which you reply " If it didn't come with it, its not supposed to have it. It was listed on the msrp sheet, so I'm not supposed to have it. "
To which they'll say "the MSRP sheet didn't say your car comes with windows...why would it mention the moisture?"

But anyway, to the OP: good luck getting it taken care of.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^ Thanks for the step by step to solve the problem.
i wouldn't say you're safe yet - you should take out your headlights and examine them closely - seals, holes, etc. find where there's moisture getting in (it's going to be hard, i'll guarantee you that) and seal it with clear silicone to guarantee it won't happen again.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:43 AM

this is a pain in the ****, happened to my g35 and i hated,
just like endGameXIII i do alot of "playing" with headlights, and yah theyre not supposed to be airtight, but they arent supposed to get moisture in either, if all fails you take out your headlights, take the h.i.ds and stuff off and put emm in the oven for 5 mins, take em apart paint em, bake em again put em together and you got new colord sexy headlights
Old May 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Took it to the dealer today to get the hood latch fix and have them look at the headlight.

Dealer said it was a warranty issue and would replace the entire headlight assembly but they had to order the part.

Dealer price for the assembly is $1k.

The service manager @ Stohlman Mitsu dealer in Tysons, VA was very friendly and didn't give me any hassle just asked if the light has been hit or otherwise cracked.

So this trip to the dealer gets a big !
Old May 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Update.

Thanks!
That is a lie.

The headlights are supposed to be sealed properly. Eventually, they will get condensation inside of them and there will be water spots on the inside causing them to look horrible. Your dealership is trying to pull one over on you.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Took it to the dealer today to get the hood latch fix and have them look at the headlight.

Dealer said it was a warranty issue and would replace the entire headlight assembly but they had to order the part.

Dealer price for the assembly is $1k.

The service manager @ Stohlman Mitsu dealer in Tysons, VA was very friendly and didn't give me any hassle just asked if the light has been hit or otherwise cracked.

So this trip to the dealer gets a big !
wow. your dealership actually knows what a warranty is!