Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Moisture in the Headlight

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Moisture in the Headlight

Well the first thing to go wrong has.

Its been raining in the DC area this week and with the car having less than 2,000 miles on it there is moisture in the headlights.

I'm assuming this is still covered under the 36,000 mile warranty as a defect.

I'm about to call the dealer and see when they can get this fixed.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

i live in Fairfax, it has been raining and my car has been out of the garage, it should be under warranty i dont see why not. you didnt do anything bad to it lol. nice to know another MR is in the area
Old May 8, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Update.

Apparently they are not supposed to be "air tight" so they will get mosture in them but it will dissapate, apparently with the HIDs they stopped making the headlights airtight due to the heat buildup of the headlights.

Or so the service department said.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Lol, I'm sorry but this sounds like a big line of bull. The moisture in there will evaporate in the same manner it got in there in the first place. However it will over time discolor and do damage, not to mention the water and water vapor will not be good for the HID itself. you ever wonder why streetlights have covers?

take it back and make them fix it.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:41 AM

my lights haven't fogged up. but then again my car doesn't see much rain, if any.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:42 AM

edit
Old May 8, 2009, 11:43 AM

Seriously That is an unacceptable answer from them. I would have came back with ''HID headlights are supposed to run cooler than normal lights''.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
Lol, I'm sorry but this sounds like a big line of bull. The moisture in there will evaporate in the same manner it got in there in the first place. However it will over time discolor and do damage, not to mention the water and water vapor will not be good for the HID itself. you ever wonder why streetlights have covers?

take it back and make them fix it.

that was along my line of thought as well....

thats why my first thought was to take it to the dealer but I wanted to put the service departments "coments" in there to see if anyone else though that it sounded kinda sketchy.

Last edited by WolvieDC; May 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old May 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just pull out one of the bulbs and stick a blow dryer in there for a few minutes and it will dry up.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

i just hate that moisture... let the dealer fix it because it will keep coming back.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

So basicly I should just go to the dealer, tell them I don't buy it and to fix it, and just ask them to show me where it says they are supposed to have moisture in them

slightly off topic but, ak47m203 your car hopes in 5 years and mine are the same
Old May 8, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just go 2 another dealer or call mmna and get an opinion...and ask for it in writing..
Old May 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

called MMNA Customer Relations and they didn't know... not shocked but on another topic

they DID point out that the hood cable is a RECALL and not a TSB <-- which I know was being debated in another thread.

anyway going to schedule the cable at a different dealer and have them look at the head lamp... I took some pictures just incase its not fogged up when I get there.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Called a different dealer....didn't guarentee that its going to be covered but at least the service manager is going to look at it, said it depended up on the amount of moisture.... "the decision on whether or not to replace the headlights is not done at the dealership level"... so its going in next week.

I'll post some pictures at the top of the thread tonight, although I'm sure everyone has seen this before anyway.

I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
So basicly I should just go to the dealer, tell them I don't buy it and to fix it, and just ask them to show me where it says they are supposed to have moisture in them

slightly off topic but, ak47m203 your car hopes in 5 years and mine are the same
And they'll say "show me where it says there *isn't* supposed to be moisture in there."

Quick Reply: Moisture in the Headlight