Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help: My HIDs won't turn off with ignition off

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help: My HIDs won't turn off with ignition off

This morning my dad ask me if he could use my car...I said ok
He came back everything was ok... we had a family lunch at my anty's house so to save some gas (and the planet ) I decided to leave my car at home and go there with my parents...

When we came back my dad said : "hey your headlights were working and just turned off when I was near your car "I thought it was a Joke so...
Later I decide to go to meat some friends....now the problem starts !

The car doesn't wanna start I guess they highlights where working...WTF I did not used my car today and yesterday it was working well.

So I used some jumpers and ...it started...but now the real problem....
The headlights don't wanna shutt down.
Even if the ignition is in the OFF position, as soon as I plug the batery, the headlights stays on.

The DRL work normaly I mean when I start the car they are OFF then I move the handbrake and they turn ON. but these highlights stay ON !!! WTF !!

What's more ! The idle was taking more time to get down....

I used PCMScan to see any CEL but NONE ! I even tried to reflash it.... the Headlights stay ON !!! It idles fine now though.

Can someone help me !!! It just Fcked my weekend !!!! (sorry to say that)

Any ideas ? What could have been happening ?

(Same post on another forum but I really want to solve my problem)
Old May 9, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the switch for the headlights in the off position???
Old May 9, 2009, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

interesting. bump.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Is the switch for the headlights in the off position???
The OP's post does not make any sense but Papi you are right he never mentioned messing with the switch of the headlight.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

The switch probably still is on, lol
Old May 9, 2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by D420mac
The switch probably still is on, lol
This is not funny ! I'm trying to find a solution to my issue and you're making fun of the situation !

I tried to switch on off on off everything and they still ON.
Ususally even when you turn off the ignition, they will shut down ! Now they still on !

Please no joke !
Old May 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

unplug then re-plug in the light harness or even the fuse and see what happens... just a suggestion.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and try it again
Old May 9, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

NOoooooo I'm not making fun the guy before me said the same thing!!!! Maybe the switch or relay is bad is what I'm saying.

Also if you have the Navi you can change the headlight settings to turn off when you shut off the car, or to leave them on for a set period of time. Do you have the Navi? On mine I have it set to stay on for a bit so I can see, once I lock the car I believe they stay on an additional 5 min, or turn off I can't remember.

To me it seems like a relay is sticking somewhere. With a brand new X I would always take it to the dealership, if it is a problem , and others have the same issues they can address it, put out a TSB if it's a major issue. It could just be a defect on your car.

I understand your upset, but I'm not making fun. Don't take it out on us. I have a power leak on my IX if the car sits more than 3 days it's dead, I use my X to jump my IX. That's why I'm laughing it's just funny, it sucks. It's hard to troubleshoot issues like this, unless it's obvious!
Old May 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

The lights don't turn off when you shut your engine off. They turn off when you open your door.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Take it to the dealership, should be covered.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

he may have the navi and if he does that's a changable setting
Old May 9, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the evo has a tech where if you left your lights in the on position and the engine is off, as soon as you open the driver side door it auto shuts the head lights off even though they are in open position. The only way to override this is after you open the door just turn the head lights in off position and back on position and i'll manually stay on forever till you turn the head lights switch off manually.
Old May 9, 2009, 05:09 PM

Unhappy

Ok,
what I did this morning:

Took off the relay from the engine compartiment:

So the headlights are off for now.

I tried to switch between the different relay (similar relay as the fog lights and some other things).
NOTHING HAPPEN ! Stays ON

I notice something using a multimeter:
On the evo X, you got power from the big connectors and the little one (from the right) even with the ignition off. SO the switch is on the negative side... (does it make sens?
Same thing for the fog lights and the DRL.

To double check what I'm saying , I took off the switch from the inside and the HID still on...

SO the problem must come from between the switch and the relay, could be a part of the harness or something else. Since the switch works on the negative, maybe it jst melt somewhere and now just by touching any piece of metal, the headlights stay ON.

On monday I'm heading to the dealer !! I'll let you know what happen....

(I'm posting on evoxforums as well)

Last edited by evodicted; May 9, 2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more precisions
Old May 9, 2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by D420mac
NOoooooo I'm not making fun the guy before me said the same thing!!!! Maybe the switch or relay is bad is what I'm saying.

Also if you have the Navi you can change the headlight settings to turn off when you shut off the car, or to leave them on for a set period of time. Do you have the Navi? On mine I have it set to stay on for a bit so I can see, once I lock the car I believe they stay on an additional 5 min, or turn off I can't remember.

To me it seems like a relay is sticking somewhere. With a brand new X I would always take it to the dealership, if it is a problem , and others have the same issues they can address it, put out a TSB if it's a major issue. It could just be a defect on your car.

I understand your upset, but I'm not making fun. Don't take it out on us. I have a power leak on my IX if the car sits more than 3 days it's dead, I use my X to jump my IX. That's why I'm laughing it's just funny, it sucks. It's hard to troubleshoot issues like this, unless it's obvious!
I took a GSR with the SSS package just in case there would be some issues about the SST transmission and did not want to get the nav for the same reason. It sucks ! I still got my JDM evo IX GSR in New Zealand, I was using it for like 3 years before I decided to came back in my home country. I never ever had any issues with it 4G63 + CT9A FTW !!! Ralliart New zealand said $20 000 NZD to make the switch from the right hand side to the left hand side ... I thought I would let the car overthere and make the switch later.....

Quick Reply: Need help: My HIDs won't turn off with ignition off