Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

non sss evo headlights

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non sss evo headlights

my stock base evo gsr lights suck compared to my 06 civic si. How much does a conversion kit cost? Or will better bulbs do the trick
Old May 12, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitecomet
my stock base evo gsr lights suck compared to my 06 civic si. How much does a conversion kit cost? Or will better bulbs do the trick
Conversion Kits are illegal to install and will blind oncoming drivers with glare. Your Halogen headlights are NOT suitable for HID (they were not designed for an HID bulb) The HID light source is shaped differently than the filament of a Halogen bulb.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitecomet
Just buy OEM headlight assembly replacements that have projectors.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:19 AM

Hmmm....I don't remember the OP asking if an HID conversion kit was legal or if it blinded oncoming drivers. Was it really necessary to say something that was completely irrelevant to what the OP was asking? You must be one of those ppl like to hear themselves talk, much like me. Or do you work for GE or Sylvania and are concerned about losing another bulb customer?

Anyway, I googled "HID conversion kit" and they are about $120-$300 a set depending on where you get them from. I remember that originally all HID kits came from China and the ballasts were really bad quality causing the system to fail. I would see if that's still true before buying. Or you can just get some Silverstars to make n789db happy and continue to support the incandescent bulb industry.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

or look into someone who knows how to do retrofits from another projector into your car..thats what im looking into
Old May 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe a true conversion kit exists...yet. I'm willing to bet one (or many) will come along at some point in the future.

You can buy the HID factory headlight housings that come in the SSS package...others have installed them...but they haven't been able to get them to work correctly.

Looks like you might, unfortunately, be screwed for the time being.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:48 PM

I have drop in HID's in my non sss headlights and they work just fine. Not too much glare.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

I tried the sylvania's and they are just ok. My previous 4 cars all came with factory HID's, don't know what I was thinking when I bought this car, just didn't want the full SSS package.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
or look into someone who knows how to do retrofits from another projector into your car..thats what im looking into

Check out this forum for the truth about HID, get an honest education on the technology.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
Old May 12, 2009, 07:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by adambl03
I don't believe a true conversion kit exists...yet. I'm willing to bet one (or many) will come along at some point in the future.

You can buy the HID factory headlight housings that come in the SSS package...others have installed them...but they haven't been able to get them to work correctly.

Looks like you might, unfortunately, be screwed for the time being.
the people ive seen with them installed said they work fine..the only issue has been the DRLs
Old May 13, 2009, 05:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuDa
the people ive seen with them installed said they work fine..the only issue has been the DRLs
That issue and flickering lights. There isn't a perfect replacement, yet, but there will be some day.