Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Worth keeping extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh yeah, and because your car is new, you still have regular Mitsu warranty. The Nissan warranty won't come in to play until after the 3/36 b2b and 5/60 powertrain Mitsu warr is up. Just have the car serviced as normal as a Mitsu, until that "free" coverage is gone. Don't even worry about the Nissan one, yet.

If you cancel it and try to buy an extended warranty right before your regular Mitsu warranty is up I can almost gaurantee you it will cost you a lot more then $1600 and it won't be as comprehensive.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer

You bought a "new" Mitsubishi from a Nissan dealer? I'm not saying it isn't possible, just odd.

These are the kinds of questions I would have asked before handing over $1600. From the page you provided, all it says is that its for Nissan vehicles getting service at Nissan dealers. The service contracts I am familiar with tell you to go to an authorized service center for that particular vehicle, which in this case, would be a Mitsu dealer for service.

Yeah I thought it was odd too. I double and triple checked to make sure it was right. They said they can offer it on any of the mitsus they sell there. The fact that they exclude:

"Exotic and high performance vehicles. This includes but not limited to Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, and Peugeot.
Limited production vehicles including, but not limited to Hummer H1, Chevrolet 3500 Series, Chevrolet Express Van 3500, Dodge Viper, Dodge 3500 Series, Ford Taurus Natural Gas, Ford F-350 F-450 F-550, Ford Ranger Flex Fuel, Honda Insight, Mercedes-Benz G-Class Truck, Toyota Prius, and Toyota RAV4 EV."

makes me think that its legit. :sheepish: I should have asked about the determination while I was there. I will call and ask I guess.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:19 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Well if your dealership works like the ones around here, you can just keep the extended warranty until you're ready to do heavy modding and then cancel it. They will send a refund check for the remainder of the warranty to the lienholder (the bank in most cases) and you won't be out that much money.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
Yeah I thought it was odd too. I double and triple checked to make sure it was right. They said they can offer it on any of the mitsus they sell there.
Maybe they owned a Mitsu dealer that folded and are selling the balance of the inventory there.
Originally Posted by Laz
Well if your dealership works like the ones around here, you can just keep the extended warranty until you're ready to do heavy modding and then cancel it. They will send a refund check for the remainder of the warranty to the lienholder (the bank in most cases) and you won't be out that much money.
That is correct. They will prorate the remaining time back. It won't lower your payment, but just cut a little bit back off the end of the loan. You'll have to weigh the benefit of having partial coverage on some systems vs none at all if you keep the car a long time. $1600 bucks is relatively inexpensive for extended warranties.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

lol @ all of you who think car dealerships are the devil
Old May 14, 2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Maybe they owned a Mitsu dealer that folded and are selling the balance of the inventory there.

That is correct. They will prorate the remaining time back. It won't lower your payment, but just cut a little bit back off the end of the loan. You'll have to weigh the benefit of having partial coverage on some systems vs none at all if you keep the car a long time. $1600 bucks is relatively inexpensive for extended warranties.
It's not a partial coverage warranty - as far as I can tell its 100k mile coverage B2B on everything. Ill update after i call later and find out who gets to determine coverage/how mods fit into it.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
It's not a partial coverage warranty - as far as I can tell its 100k mile coverage B2B on everything. Ill update after i call later and find out who gets to determine coverage/how mods fit into it.
Oh yeah, I know. I was referring to if you mod the car and they decide not to warranty your powertrain any more. Like I was saying, I had a warranty on my Eclipse that I bought extra. They covered "everything" but once I changed the turbo, injctors, boost controller, fuel computer, they wouldn't cover the engine anymore. But they did cover my starter when it went out. YMMV
Old May 14, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Laz

similar situation here...

On a different note bought my Evo at a Nissian/Mitsu dealer.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

That extended warranty runs with you existing new car warranty, unless u opt for it to start after the new car warranty is up . "read the fine print" lots of dealers do this.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Never buy extended warranty, IMO. Dealerships sell these for one reason: They are pure profit.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
They are pure profit.
But they're not. There is a cost involved, and there is a benefit. Dealers do not make 100% profit off of selling them. They are like extra insurance.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:57 PM

i had an extended warranty on my old RSX-S, just gotta be careful cause most of them only cover very basic maintenance and not always high repairs. Usually covers just the most common stuff