Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Worth keeping extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth keeping extended warranty?

I purchased my Evo X from a Nissan dealership and got suckered into buying an extended warranty.....but the odd thing is that the warranty is through Nissan not Mitsu. (It's called a Gold preferred Security Plus warranty if that matters)

Because the warranty is not through Mitsu does that lower the chance that it will be voided for mods? The price on it wasn't bad, and I'll keep it if the chance of voidance is lower.......
Old May 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Extended warranties in general aren't a good idea, but whatever works for you and makes you feel good. If you plan to mod, that warranty won't be worth much since they'll likely deny claims just as Mitsu would.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

yea but if u dont mod it, or only do very very basic mods, the warranty could be a huge money saver if you do drive the car hard and put a lot of miles on it
Old May 13, 2009, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What people don't know you can cancel these things whenever you want to. I'm sure the finance manage suckered you into that deal.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
What people don't know you can cancel these things whenever you want to. I'm sure the finance manage suckered you into that deal.
I'm well aware that I can cancel it, hence the thread. I am debating keeping it. I have 60 days for a full refund cancellation to decide.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by thevidon
I'm well aware that I can cancel it, hence the thread. I am debating keeping it. I have 60 days for a full refund cancellation to decide.
You're probably better off canceling it for now. See how the Mitsu warranty works out for you. When that is about to end, then look into buying an extended warranty.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People are giving you advice, without even knowing all the details.

We can't know if the warranty is worth a **** or not, without knowing what it does and does not cover, and for how long, where you have to take it to get service and if there's a deductible or not, and how much you paid for it.

We also don't know how many miles are on your car, so we don't know how much Mitsu warranty is left.

No one can make an assumption on how to help you without knowing these things, and just saying "you got ripped off cancel it" is just ignorant without knowing the full story.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by GPTourer
People are giving you advice, without even knowing all the details.

We can't know if the warranty is worth a **** or not, without knowing what it does and does not cover, and for how long, where you have to take it to get service and if there's a deductible or not, and how much you paid for it.

We also don't know how many miles are on your car, so we don't know how much Mitsu warranty is left.

No one can make an assumption on how to help you without knowing these things, and just saying "you got ripped off cancel it" is just ignorant without knowing the full story.
But, we can tell him that if he mods the car the warranty is worthless. In his first post he mentions modding. Extended warranties are much more stringent when it comes to modding. Even more stringent than Mitsubishi (and we all know how stringent Mitsubishi is). There is nothing more to know about the story. If he plans to mod, the extended warranty is worthless and he IS wasting his money.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

And here's all the details you need about the extended warranty.

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...rity_plus.html
http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...erageChart.pdf
Old May 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
But, we can tell him that if he mods the car the warranty is worthless.
Not if his A/C goes out, or is sunroof stops working, or his power steering quits. There are a number of systems on a car that his warranty might be covering that won't be affected by powertrain mods.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by adambl03
But, we can tell him that if he mods the car the warranty is worthless. In his first post he mentions modding. Extended warranties are much more stringent when it comes to modding. Even more stringent than Mitsubishi (and we all know how stringent Mitsubishi is). There is nothing more to know about the story. If he plans to mod, the extended warranty is worthless and he IS wasting his money.
This is getting at the heart of my question. Here is the warranty info:

I have the "Gold Preferred" version which is the highest. The link to specific components covered is in there. The warranty has the usual towing/roadside assistance/trip interruption protection. 84 month/100k miles coverage for $1600. My car is brand new so the miles are like 150.

Who makes the determination about coverage? If I take my car to a Mitsu dealer and try and get it fixed under my Nissan warranty wouldn't that make them less likely to complain since Nissan foots the bill?

As far as mods go I have no plans to go beyond intake/exhaust/(maybe) intercooler pipes.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I say cancel it. You can buy that cheaper than what the dealer marks up for the extended warranty.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Who makes the determination about coverage? If I take my car to a Mitsu dealer and try and get it fixed under my Nissan warranty wouldn't that make them less likely to complain since Nissan foots the bill?

As far as mods go I have no plans to go beyond intake/exhaust/(maybe) intercooler pipes.
You'll have to look at the fine print to find out who determines coverage. It will most likely not be a Mitsu dealership. More likely a Nissan dealership (or some subsidiary that the warranty is covered through). Your dealership should be able to help answer, but we know they sometimes can't give you the real answer. Is there a phone number on the paperwork? Try that if there is one.

For the mods, as simple as they are, you'll read stories on here of guys having their STOCK car's warranty voided. So, no mods are technically "safe" from denying warranty. Best thing you can do is keep the stock parts and always put them back on the car before you go in for any work. But, don't worry. There aren't many stories of guys doing any major damage with those mods.

Oh, and make sure to get a tune after you put the parts on. Your engine will thank you for it

One other thing to consider. Why pay now for the extended warranty, when you won't be using it until the factory warranty expires?

And, one last thing. With the $1600 you're paying for the warranty, you can buy nearly all of your mods
Old May 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I was told a different story about the ext warranty I purchased with my Evo. I told them straight up that I didn't want it because I was going to mod the car. The finance guy made it VERY clear to me, that modding doesn't matter, and that everything is covered, even if Mitsu voids the factory warranty.

I was told the same thing by several other people at the same dealer, because I didn't believe it from one person.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

This is getting at the heart of my question. Here is the warranty info:

That page makes it sound like its only for new Nissan vehicles. Every extended service contract I have seen is more generic in purpose.

My car is brand new so the miles are like 150.
You bought a "new" Mitsubishi from a Nissan dealer? I'm not saying it isn't possible, just odd.

These are the kinds of questions I would have asked before handing over $1600. From the page you provided, all it says is that its for Nissan vehicles getting service at Nissan dealers. The service contracts I am familiar with tell you to go to an authorized service center for that particular vehicle, which in this case, would be a Mitsu dealer for service.

Years ago, I was able to get warranty work done on my Eclipse with similar mods, but it was a different warranty company.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 13, 2009 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Worth keeping extended warranty?