Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dealer never gives me a loaner, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer never gives me a loaner, what can I do?

So I am going to be taking my car in for warranty service for the second time since i bought it about 2 months ago. The first time was a same day in and out situation, so they gave me a ride to work, and i got a ride from a friend to the dealer at the end of the day, no big deal.

However, I am going to be taking my car to the auto body shop my dealer uses to get my front aero kit lip re-cleared, as the clear coat is chipping off...all covered by mitsu. So i will drop my car off on tuesday morning, and it will take them 1-2 days to do my front lip, then it will be going to my dealer for service...where i will be getting the following things done:

Reprogram my FAST key
check the driver side radiator fan, vibrating and making noise
hood latch cable recall fix
oil change
check the allignment

So, while on the phone with my dealer service guy, we were planning all this out so i can get everything fixed at once without having to bring it back on separate occassions. i mentioned a loaner...as they are going to have my car for 2-3 DAYS, and he said "we aren't going to provide any alternative transportation, we don't do that." WTF???? i spend 36k on a top of the line model, and they cant give me ANYTHING to drive around for a couple days while they have MY car? my brother said i could drive his blazer for a couple days, but that's not the point. If they accept my car into service for a minimum of a couple days, GOOD dealerships provide loaners. it's ridiculous. when i had my cobalt SS Supercharged, my salesman once gave me his personal demo car so i could get back to work. They bent over backwards to put me in something so i could get from point A to point B. Now that I "upgrade" to a "superior" japanese vehicle...i get treated like garbage. I dont know if this is just my dealer being shady, or if most mitsu dealers are like this. I've never heard of dealerships treating customers like such garbage. "We don't provide alternative transportation" my ***.

/rant
Old May 24, 2009, 12:45 PM

If you want a loaner, buy a high end car.

You bought a Mitsubishi. You should be grateful if you see an old TV set in the waiting room of the service department.

You can do what I do and call Enterprise the day before. They'll pick you up when you drop off your car and put you in a rental at your expense. Adds $50 to the price of your service but saves a lot in convenience.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ibognar
If you want a loaner, buy a high end car.

You bought a Mitsubishi. You should be grateful if you see an old TV set in the waiting room of the service department.

You can do what I do and call Enterprise the day before. They'll pick you up when you drop off your car and put you in a rental at your expense. Adds $50 to the price of your service but saves a lot in convenience.
that's what i figured. But my point being, going from a 22k cobalt SS to a 36k mitsubishi...the difference is astounding. i was never once without a loaner in the 2.5 years i had my cobalt.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:57 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealers are not required to offer a car to customers, unless they have some sort of stipulation (service contract, etc) stating they are required to give a loaner. Not to mention most dealers dont have the assets to loan everybody a car.

This is why I have a service contract for my wives Scion. They even pay for hotel stay if we need it.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

i got loaners from volkswagen on my 10k 4 year old vehicle about to be out of warranty in 100 miles. if you want warranty and good service do not but mitsubishi, go german
Old May 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

ima tell you what i did to get a loaner from mitsu, they had my car to change a clutch and were taking for ever, i called and told them to put the car bak together im getting it towed to another location, the service manage of the dealer called and asked why and what happen i told them no loaner, long time, price, and other things, i got my loaner for free from hertz, lowered price, and of course a ton of apologies, if you are getting all this stuff done they make tons of money and dont want to lose the business, just tell them you are getting it towed to another dealer
Old May 24, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a loaner both times I needed one from two different dealers.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

My dealer gave me a loaner when I had to get my hood repainted after I first took delivery. There was some kind of imperfection in the paint, and they offered the loaner before I even asked for one.

I guess you're SOL if they won't offer one though, not much you can do other than getting a rental on your own.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:43 PM

Guess it depends on the dealer. I've had paint and brake work done and a few other things. I got a loaner every single time, sometimes for days. Hint: take it in immaculate and see if that doesn't steer their attitude
Old May 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mjesenovec
that's what i figured. But my point being, going from a 22k cobalt SS to a 36k mitsubishi...the difference is astounding. i was never once without a loaner in the 2.5 years i had my cobalt.

Sell evo, buy cobalt, problem solved.

Oh snap, then your driving the rental year round!!!

Scorke
Old May 24, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

^ hahaha
Old May 24, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

dealer here gave me a loaner for a week
Old May 24, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

if you are not happy w/ your dealer, then use another dealer.
I'm guessing that there isn't one nearby, so that's why they treat you like garbage.

Next Car i buy, will be lux, so I don't get shitted on by mediocre service depts.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Sell evo, buy cobalt, problem solved.

Oh snap, then your driving the rental year round!!!

Scorke

haha good one Sam!!
Old May 24, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mjesenovec
So I am going to be taking my car in for warranty service for the second time since i bought it about 2 months ago. The first time was a same day in and out situation, so they gave me a ride to work, and i got a ride from a friend to the dealer at the end of the day, no big deal.

However, I am going to be taking my car to the auto body shop my dealer uses to get my front aero kit lip re-cleared, as the clear coat is chipping off...all covered by mitsu. So i will drop my car off on tuesday morning, and it will take them 1-2 days to do my front lip, then it will be going to my dealer for service...where i will be getting the following things done:

Reprogram my FAST key
check the driver side radiator fan, vibrating and making noise
hood latch cable recall fix
oil change
check the allignment

So, while on the phone with my dealer service guy, we were planning all this out so i can get everything fixed at once without having to bring it back on separate occassions. i mentioned a loaner...as they are going to have my car for 2-3 DAYS, and he said "we aren't going to provide any alternative transportation, we don't do that." WTF???? i spend 36k on a top of the line model, and they cant give me ANYTHING to drive around for a couple days while they have MY car? my brother said i could drive his blazer for a couple days, but that's not the point. If they accept my car into service for a minimum of a couple days, GOOD dealerships provide loaners. it's ridiculous. when i had my cobalt SS Supercharged, my salesman once gave me his personal demo car so i could get back to work. They bent over backwards to put me in something so i could get from point A to point B. Now that I "upgrade" to a "superior" japanese vehicle...i get treated like garbage. I dont know if this is just my dealer being shady, or if most mitsu dealers are like this. I've never heard of dealerships treating customers like such garbage. "We don't provide alternative transportation" my ***.

/rant

This is something you can try. When I had a drivetrain problem on my EVO 8 at 40k miles I called Mitsu for a tow and they said that they only provided free towing for the 1st 3 years 36k miles. So I paid out of my pocket for the tow and once the dealership determined that it was indeed going to be covered under my 5 year 50k miles powertrain warranty I gave him the bill for my tow and asked him to submit that with the warranty claim. Sure enough the dealer came through for me and sent me a check in the mail for $150 that they got rembursed from Mitsu. It was a good thing for them because I went back to them to buy my EVO X. So what I am saying is pay for the rental out of pocket and see if you can get rembursed for it from the dealer when they submit the warranty claim.

Quick Reply: Dealer never gives me a loaner, what can I do?