Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pips
Maybe even put some vortex generators in like the ones on this Supra.
That picture you posted is definitely an RX-7
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipmaster J
But to describe it as for "single exit exhaust" and see that it doesn't do anything for the empty hole is a bit disappointing. Extend that biatch!
This diffuser will not fit with an OEM muffler...hence the "single exit exhaust" designation. It covers the entire gap left from the OEM exhaust.

It completely covers from the rear cross member to the rear bumper (and slightly beyond the bumper), then wraps around and is contoured to the rear bumper. This is different from the Varis one, as it is just cut off after it moulds to the underside of the diffuser. <<< that's how they got the Varis one to stay so flat. The bottom of the rear crossmember and the bottom of the OEM diffuser are close to the same level. It is also molded to the angle which the (GReddy) exhaust is mounted.

The peices I will have to make for the sides are actually very small....approx 16" x 20" for the open side. And 12" x 20" on the exhaust side. These will have to be tapered off at the rear- like the OEM diffuser. I was thinking of moulding the aluminum to flow into the fins, and not cover them up, like on the Varis or JUN models. I'm looking at different ways to do that....
Attached Thumbnails EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-rear-diffuser-template-012.jpg   EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-006.jpg  
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:08 AM

Hmm didn't see the tow hook on the left exhaust hole the first time round - that's a pretty cool idea.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

i don't think we really need that, even the varis one. unless this is wind tunnel proven . but good job in DIY.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

Aerodynamics

Originally Posted by ak47m203
i don't think we really need that, even the varis one. unless this is wind tunnel proven . but good job in DIY.
Hey heyyy. I couldn't agree more

As it turns out, a friend of mine who works for an Airplane Resto company (http://www.flyingcolourscorp.com/) says he will take my design to a guy he works with. Apparently his friend has a degree in Aeronautics and can hook me up with a computer simulation of how my design will work. Sweet

My friend's also hooking me up with some 2024 t3 Airplane Grade Aluminum for my next version of this diffuser....that should shave a bit of weight off this puppy (seeing as I used commercial grade 3003 which is much heavier for the current one)

It's about time he paid me back for lending him my power tools and fixing his A6 everytime it breaks down
Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Hey heyyy. I couldn't agree more

As it turns out, a friend of mine who works for an Airplane Resto company (http://www.flyingcolourscorp.com/) says he will take my design to a guy he works with. Apparently his friend has a degree in Aeronautics and can hook me up with a computer simulation of how my design will work. Sweet

My friend's also hooking me up with some 2024 t3 Airplane Grade Aluminum for my next version of this diffuser....that should shave a bit of weight off this puppy (seeing as I used commercial grade 3003 which is much heavier for the current one)

It's about time he paid me back for lending him my power tools and fixing his A6 everytime it breaks down

maybe they can wind tunner it, don't get me wrong, it's better to have a good hard evidence that it will really work it's purpose. good luck.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:49 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions/ideas on a rear diffuser I'm making out of aluminum...I figured it's time to cover that gapping hole where the OEM exhaust was...Any suggestions on improving my design would be appreciated. I already have more ideas for my next one...keep in mind, this is NOT the final product.

Diffuser weighs 10 - 12 lbs and has pretty good fitment. Without a doubt it's better than having the parachute hole there and should decrease lift by getting air out from underneath the car at high speeds. I have one or two tweaks to make then I'll mount itand put up more pics. I may keep this one bare metal, but my next one will either be powder coated or clear coated.

To all the owners and fans of the EVO,

Cheers

not a good idea
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

I like the idea.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
^ Yeah

Here's a better picture
Is this the JUN piece?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fishstix
Is this the JUN piece?
Nope, Varis
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:32 AM

interesting idea... it looks semi alright, just a little strange seeing it only cover the area where the stock muffler was. Im used to seeing the whole rear covered... are you planing on covering up the whole rear or just staying with the muffler area ?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by storm_trooper
interesting idea... it looks semi alright, just a little strange seeing it only cover the area where the stock muffler was. Im used to seeing the whole rear covered... are you planing on covering up the whole rear or just staying with the muffler area ?
Eventually everything will be covered as in the pic I posted earlier in the thread...on the Rx7
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

FYI: That car in the picture is an FD3S RX-7, not a supra...

This design is very similar and I'll eventually be adding to the sides as well. Maybe even put some vortex generators in like the ones on this Supra...I'm not an expert on aerodynamics but I believe the Varis design is a lot more basic then mine...However it looks a lot flatter than mine, which is somthing I will improve in the next version.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the finished product will have custom water jetting done...I just got some things from my guy today and they look absolutely sick! I'm incorporating some Japanese Kanji- which says, "Mitsubishi Evolution Ten" on the outsides of the diffuser wings. Should see some pics within 2-3 wks.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:47 PM

***raises this thread from the dead***

Any updates to this DIY project? I'd like to see it in CFRP. How's it coming on covering the entire rear? Nice fab work!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great!

Quick Reply: EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)