Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions/ideas on a rear diffuser I'm making out of aluminum...I figured it's time to cover that gapping hole where the OEM exhaust was...Any suggestions on improving my design would be appreciated. I already have more ideas for my next one...keep in mind, this is NOT the final product.

Diffuser weighs 10 - 12 lbs and has pretty good fitment. Without a doubt it's better than having the parachute hole there and should decrease lift by getting air out from underneath the car at high speeds. I have one or two tweaks to make then I'll mount itand put up more pics. I may keep this one bare metal, but my next one will either be powder coated or clear coated.

To all the owners and fans of the EVO,

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-011.jpg   EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-005.jpg   EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-007.jpg  

Last edited by pips; Jun 5, 2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

looks like a good idea. there was a thread a while back about a single exit diffuser. id like to see a nice looking one
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

good idea, maybe it'll look better after you paint it or anodize, but sorry, it looks like a hitch
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like extra junk in the trunk to me.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

ill take one in carbon fiber
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Great idea, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I bet you would get many questions from the street guys: "Man, you put wheelie bars on this thing???"
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

make it so that it goes from one end of the bumper to the other. like the varis one. actually it it look like the varis.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Good idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I don't have the capabilities to weld aluminum at home. How far does it extend under the car towards the front? And what are you going to use as mounting points?

I would also paint or powdercoat the whole thing in flat black to match the stock diffuser.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Jun 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

something like this. actually look like itll be easier to make. 4 fins and 2 horizontal "flaps?".
Attached Thumbnails EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-varis-evo-x.jpg  
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yeah

Here's a better picture
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:54 PM

mounting

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Good idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I don't have the capabilities to weld aluminum at home. How far does it extend under the car towards the front? And what are you going to use as mounting points?

I would also paint or powdercoat the whole thing in flat black to match the stock diffuser.
The front of the diffuser will be mounted to 2 already existing holes in the rear cross member. The Mitsu mechanic told me these are holes created so that the piece can be hooked on wire while being painted (so they're okay to use for mounting)...I'll post a pic inabit

The middle will be mounted by using the conveniently located heat shield bolts.

I'll see how sturdy that is, but I may have to re-inforce the OEM rear diffuser with an aluminum bracket and then bolt up into there. All these holes would be under the vehicle so not to wreck anything should I decide to run without one. If you look underneath you'll see a couple flat spots under there on either side (of the licence pl8 frame) that would be perfect to mount to.

I will probably powder coat just to see what it looks like. Someone told me today that there is this "chrome powder coat" that you can use...anyone know about this stuff?

Last edited by pips; Jun 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
something like this. actually look like itll be easier to make. 4 fins and 2 horizontal "flaps?".

This design is very similar and I'll eventually be adding to the sides as well. Maybe even put some vortex generators in like the ones on this RX 7...I'm not an expert on aerodynamics but I believe the Varis design is a lot more basic then mine...However it looks a lot flatter than mine, which is somthing I will improve in the next version.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the finished product will have custom water jetting done...I just got some things from my guy today and they look absolutely sick! I'm incorporating some Japanese Kanji- which says, "Mitsubishi Evolution Ten" on the outsides of the diffuser wings. Should see some pics within 2-3 wks.
Attached Thumbnails EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)-supra-diffuser.jpg  

Last edited by pips; Oct 25, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

^^ nnyes! i wonder is that a universal fit?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
^ Yeah

Here's a better picture
Thats hot 2 exhasts look best
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:41 AM

Looks great for a DIY job. Thumbs up from me keep the development alive.
But to describe it as for "single exit exhaust" and see that it doesn't do anything for the empty hole is a bit disappointing. Extend that biatch!

Quick Reply: EVO X rear diffuser (single exit exhaust)