Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone hate the SSS package?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by axtran

And a question to non-SSS owners:

I had NAVI on my model. I negotiated to have it removed, and they replaced it with the Rockford Fosgate HU, 6disc changer. Is that the base radio? Or did I just get the radio from a SSS package?
Looks like you got the SSS CD player, i have the single disk cd player in mine.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I opted for a base GSR because I hate the SSS package. I was wondering if anyone else out there thought the same? The only thing I like about it was the HIDs.

The test X that I drove had SSS + Aero kit. Aero was pretty darn low. SSS was just plain annoying:

Sound - The subwoofer was much louder than ever necessary. All types of music sounded muffled to me.

Spoiler - I prefer no wing, however, the base wing looks better to me.

Sight - HID's, who can hate these? (well, unless they are being blasted in your face :P)

FAST Key. I HATED IT. The plastic nub felt very flimsy. I like the idea of having a normal key.

And SIRIUS Satellite Radio? Why not just use an iPod/MP3 player?

I had NAVI on my model. I negotiated to have it removed, and they replaced it with the Rockford Fosgate HU, 6disc changer. Is that the base radio? Or did I just get the radio from a SSS package?
Sound - You can adjust the amount of bass from the sub. It's a pretty impressive stereo system for a stock vehicle. And why not just use an MP3 player instead of Sat. radio? Why not enjoy both?

Spoiler - This is personal preference. I actually wouldn't mind having the base spoiler.

Sight - As mentioned by others, the SSS package is worth it for these alone!

Fast Key - This system is really convenient. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it is really handy.

IMO, if you can afford it, the SSS is well worth it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

I opted for a base GSR because I hate the SSS package. I was wondering if anyone else out there thought the same? The only thing I like about it was the HIDs.

The test X that I drove had SSS + Aero kit. Aero was pretty darn low. SSS was just plain annoying
I love my SSS package, not a fan of the getto Aero package which many have been having problems with (parts coming off, etc.)

Sound - The subwoofer was much louder than ever necessary. All types of music sounded muffled to me.
Have you tried to adjust the setting of the subwoofer? Although the amp in the Rockford system is weaksauce, it is lightyears ahead of what I had in my 2007 WRX Limited. Most of the time I don't even use the radio for music, mostly news.

I hear you on this one, not a fan of the bigger "ricer" wing.

Sight - HID's, who can hate these? (well, unless they are being blasted in your face :P)
+1

FAST Key. I HATED IT. The plastic nub felt very flimsy. I like the idea of having a normal key.
I disagree with you on this one. I love my SmartKey system. It's never failed me, and it's nice not having to put the key in the ignition when starting...or having it dangle around when driving. I also like the fact that I can go out and start the car, go back in the house, then go back out locking the door behind me when I leave without having a 2nd set of keys...or having to disconnect the house keys for the key chain.

Agreed. I won't be renewing the subscription when my free 6 months are over. I find the music stations sucky, and it cuts out a lot up in my area.

BTW, my radio that came with my SSS package is a 6 disc.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:44 AM

Love all aspects of my SSS, but particularly the fast key. As much as I thought it wouldn't matter, I really notice how nice it is when I drive my wife's car that doesn't have it and I'm fumbling for keys...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

I had an 09 Ralliart with the FAST-Key system and absolutely hated it. Within 3,000 miles the nub was already starting to wear. Also there were times when I had to take my hand on and off the door handle 2-3 times before it registered to open. I prefer my base X, although HID's would be nice (although I hate the way the stock projectors look from the side, too much chrome). I wasn't a fan of the SSS wing by any means, in fact the base wing actually blocks majority of headlights coming up behind you from blinding you. The radio in the base is ok, would def prefer the SSS 6-disc system.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fame118

I love the SSS only complaint is hitting the side skirt when im stepping out the car.

What do the side skirts have to do with the SSS package?

You're thinking "Aero Package".
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I wish they'd either make HID's standard, or pull the stereo out of it. At least it's better than the VIII's and IX's that had the stupid sunroof in them.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I love the SSS.

1. Cant go wrong with HID's.

2. Fast key.. ehh.. it's ok. Like it was said, the best thing about it is that you can leave the car running and run back inside the house and you don't have the key's clanking around while in the ignition.

3. The stereo is really good. I usually run the sub on 3 and it's not too bad. If you don't like it you can turn it all the way down.

4. I've always loved the bigger spoiler. I think thats just a matter of choice.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:58 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
My first X was SSS, and I wanted to get a non-SSS on the second to save money...
But I just could not do it. I couldn't pull the trigger on a non-SSS car.

The HIDs alone are worth it. The brights are even HID. How freaking awesome is that?
I love the wing, like the FAST key, like the Rockford when I upgraded all the door speakers.

The only thing I don't care for is the Sirius, which I never even activated for free in this X. Too sucky in the last one.

I don't like aero. Thankfully, I don't have it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:03 AM

I actually am really glad that I got the SSS package on my car.

I love the HIDS, find myself more and more happy that I have the Fast-key on a daily basis, and like the look of the bigger wing (it's fits the agressive nature of the styling better, imho).

The only dissatisfaction I have with it is the stupid auto-volume leveling on the Rockford amp. IE: a transient in the music peaks too loud and causes the amp to clamp down on the output, noticably lowering the volume. Other than this, it's actually not too bad of a system for factory. (This coming from a guy whose last car had about 3,500 in aftermarket stereo in it, and who is studying up to become a recording/mixing engineer.)

One last thing: For those who have had issues with the fast key not responding to open the door, I've found that if you slide your index finger on the back of the door handle (from front to back,) it unlocks everytime without fail!

-Ben
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Agreed. I won't be renewing the subscription when my free 6 months are over. I find the music stations sucky, and it cuts out a lot up in my area.
There are 4 satelites to choose from for best reception.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
My first X was SSS, and I wanted to get a non-SSS on the second to save money...
But I just could not do it. I couldn't pull the trigger on a non-SSS car.

The HIDs alone are worth it. The brights are even HID. How freaking awesome is that?
I love the wing, like the FAST key, like the Rockford when I upgraded all the door speakers.

The only thing I don't care for is the Sirius, which I never even activated for free in this X. Too sucky in the last one.

I don't like aero. Thankfully, I don't have it.
I understand it's a subjective value judgment but I don't see headlights being worth $2000. I'm probably alone in this sentiment.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

the projectors are worth at least 1000 to me, fast key maybe 500, and the sound system/6cd changer is worth at least 700 to me so thats already over the 2k they charge for it or the 1700 invoice price i paid
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
$2000.

The base model does not have projectors.
Ah, well that might have sold it right there. I imagine the stock X is wired differently so you couldn't just pop in the projector style light assembly without doing some wiring work first. Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The test X that I drove had SSS + Aero kit. Aero was pretty darn low. SSS was just plain annoying:

Subwoofer volume can be adjusted as well as the sound field (Rock, Pop, etc). You can tune it how you want. Defintely an upgrade over the non-SSS base speakers. Bad argument.

Personal opinion for sure. I like it, but I could also like it wingless. I actually prefer wingless over the small spoiler.

HID's are great. +2

Also very nice feature. Many high end cars are going to this. It's great never having to reach in your pocket for the key. It know when you are at the door. Personal preference I guess, but is a very nice feature.

SIRIUS is awesome. I hardly ever listen to anything else, and I also have an iPod. Downside of the iPod is you can't control it through the radio. I also have the Nav and like it too.

See my comments in with your original post, but basically, I don't know where you are coming from. It was a no brainer to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone hate the SSS package?