Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone hate the SSS package?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
Ah, well that might have sold it right there. I imagine the stock X is wired differently so you couldn't just pop in the projector style light assembly without doing some wiring work first. Thanks for the info!
yup if u want the dealer to install them after market its going to be over 2000 alone for the projectors
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I understand it's a subjective value judgment but I don't see headlights being worth $2000. I'm probably alone in this sentiment.
Well, I can understand where you are coming from in normal driving.

I live out of town, just a little bit in the suburbs. There is some country driving I have to do, and its freaking dark at night. Its also really hilly where I live, and there are deer in areas.

My wife's car has halogens, but at late night, I'm just not as comfortable traveling as fast.

The HIDs in the X just blaze, and illuminate everything out here in the sticks. I feel safer and more aware going 80mph on the interstate at than I do in the wifemobile going 60. I really like being able to see as well as possible in these conditions.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:25 AM

I actually agree with axtran. I didn't really want anything but the HID's and the wing but it was too expensive. I am in the process of procuring myself the projectors all I need is the sss wing in apex silver. Anyone want to get rid of theirs?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the SSS!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I can't see how you can complain so vigorously about the SSS package. The sub is too loud? Come on man, adjust the settings. The knob on the fast key is flimsy? You're driving an Evo, not a BMW. Stop complaining.

You didn't even get the SSS, how is it so annoying to you? I don't like the aero kit so I didn't get it, but it doesn't bother me...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

The only thing I regret in not getting the SSS package is the HID's. All my previous cars have had them and yeah, quite a difference going back to Halogens. Other than that, all the rest of the stuff is personal taste/convenience.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by axtran
I opted for a base GSR because I hate the SSS package. I was wondering if anyone else out there thought the same? The only thing I like about it was the HIDs.

The test X that I drove had SSS + Aero kit. Aero was pretty darn low. SSS was just plain annoying:

Sound - The subwoofer was much louder than ever necessary. All types of music sounded muffled to me.

Spoiler - I prefer no wing, however, the base wing looks better to me.

Sight - HID's, who can hate these? (well, unless they are being blasted in your face :P)

FAST Key. I HATED IT. The plastic nub felt very flimsy. I like the idea of having a normal key.

And SIRIUS Satellite Radio? Why not just use an iPod/MP3 player?

And a question to non-SSS owners:

I had NAVI on my model. I negotiated to have it removed, and they replaced it with the Rockford Fosgate HU, 6disc changer. Is that the base radio? Or did I just get the radio from a SSS package?
1. You can adjust sub level

2. HIDs are definitely great. Even oncoming. The way they are focused on the evo, is great.

3. What plastic nub are you talking about? on the ignition? It's not flimsy, I'll tell you that. This is my second car with it, and I never had a single problem. Also, if you pay very close attention, you have the option of using the regular key if you like living like you're from the 1950s. I like that I walk up to the car, touch the handle and it unlocks. No fumbling for the key/remote in my pocket.

4. If you've never had satellite radio, you can't knock it til you try it. Who wants to spend hours loading up their mp3 player with the latest and greatest music, or even the oldies but goodies, when there's hundreds of channels that can do that for you. Not to mention news channels and kids channels, and sports channels. Plus all that stuff available anywhere you are, even if you're in the middle of NOWHERE. I've had satellite radio since the first day XM started transmitting, and I'll never go back. I don't remember the last time I listened to anything FM or AM in any of my vehicles.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:07 PM

That's a lot of hate for an optional car package. Maybe you should set up a protest with a picket line outside Mitsubishi headquarters and shout out "Down with the SSS!" or go on a hunger strike until all future Evo's are in the base model form.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

Mitsubishi Motors is down the street! I hear they are moving from Cypress to Fountain Valley though.

I don't really HATE anything except for the FAST key. Being that "integrated" scares me if things were to go wrong. I really would have liked the HID's but I'll just wait until people smash and crash their SSS packaged ones so I can get me a pair... Don't wish evil on anyone, but it is bound to happen.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

non sss for me is just fine
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fame118
I love the SSS only complaint is hitting the side skirt when im stepping out the car.

That would be my only complaint...I love the package... There is very little to complain about except gas...and the price keeps going up!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mmartahus
SSS package FTW!
What he said.... hmm wait...

Originally Posted by Webman
1. You can adjust sub level

2. HIDs are definitely great. Even oncoming. The way they are focused on the evo, is great.

3. What plastic nub are you talking about? on the ignition? It's not flimsy, I'll tell you that. This is my second car with it, and I never had a single problem. Also, if you pay very close attention, you have the option of using the regular key if you like living like you're from the 1950s. I like that I walk up to the car, touch the handle and it unlocks. No fumbling for the key/remote in my pocket.

4. If you've never had satellite radio, you can't knock it til you try it. Who wants to spend hours loading up their mp3 player with the latest and greatest music, or even the oldies but goodies, when there's hundreds of channels that can do that for you. Not to mention news channels and kids channels, and sports channels. Plus all that stuff available anywhere you are, even if you're in the middle of NOWHERE. I've had satellite radio since the first day XM started transmitting, and I'll never go back. I don't remember the last time I listened to anything FM or AM in any of my vehicles.
yup, this too!

Last edited by I Phantom I; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n789db
There are 4 satelites to choose from for best reception.
huh? please elaborate... cause my satellite sounds like a freaking cassette...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Dang, I gave up 5speed and forced myself to get the mr premium because SSS packages are not availabe in Canada!!! I guess if you tracked the car every few weekends it'd be lame, but day to day I would have loved to have it with 5 speed!

Last edited by Optiblue; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by axtran
I don't really HATE anything except for the FAST key. Being that "integrated" scares me if things were to go wrong.
I think you lack a great amount of knowledge on the fastkey system. If something goes wrong, you pull the key out of the fob and unlock the door (there's a key hole on the driver's door). Then you pull off the knob on the ignition and insert your key with the remote on it (yes, even if the fob battery is dead). The fob contains an RF chip in it that is for theft protection, and does not need to be powered to operate. generally these RF chips are waterproofed in case you happen to submerse the fob on accident. Do you really think the engineers were THAT stupid when they designed the system?

Quick Reply: Anyone hate the SSS package?