Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone hate the SSS package?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fame118
I love the SSS only complaint is hitting the side skirt when im stepping out the car.
That's the aero kit, not SSS package.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:57 PM

hate the huge sub eating 1/2 the trunk space
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

wot? it only eats up like 1/10th
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

love my sss. Buying a base didnt even cross my mind.

Just didnt like the big spoiler.

HID's are a must IMO.
FAST key is really convenient too.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:52 PM

My dealer had a car delivered...but when it arrived it didn't have SSS. I told the general manager there was no way in hell i was driving off the lot in that car, because i specifically told them i wanted the SSS package. HID's were an absolute must for me. I knew i would not be happy with the base stereo...and it can be adjusted in so many different ways....it's great. I am also a big fan of the high wing. Not that the low wing looks bad...but when people see the wing they KNOW it's an evo. i could have lived without the 6 disc changer, but definitely not without the sirius. yeah i have thousands of the songs on my mp3...but then how would i ever discover new music i like? i listen to satellite 95% of the time and rarely bother to plug in my zune. the fast key system wasn't necessary, but i actually really like it. it's nice when you have your hands full or whatever and dont have to dig in your pockets to grab the key fob. Most of the SSS package isn't really NECESSARY...but if i'm spending that kind of money to begin with on a car, i like to have gadgets and luxuries. My evo is also my DD and my only car, so i had to get all the toys on it. even though it looks awesome, i will admit i could have done without the aero kit. it looks badass but it's nearly impossible not to kick the darn sideskirts.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:32 PM

Right now I have a base 09 Tsx and the stereo is really good, it has a wussy 7inch sub thats enough for me. Id want the SSS for the hids and the stereo, but it seems its not much better than stock?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tsa1
Right now I have a base 09 Tsx and the stereo is really good, it has a wussy 7inch sub thats enough for me. Id want the SSS for the hids and the stereo, but it seems its not much better than stock?
---------------------------------------------------------

Have you looked at one sitting side by side? The Aerokit is very nice!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

not a fan of aero kit. makes the car look all boxy...like a loaf of bread. lol
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vassili
not a fan of aero kit. makes the car look all boxy...like a loaf of bread. lol
----------------------------------------

I like my loaf of bread then ... boxy...lets talk about scion?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by axtran
And a question to non-SSS owners:

I had NAVI on my model. I negotiated to have it removed, and they replaced it with the Rockford Fosgate HU, 6disc changer. Is that the base radio? Or did I just get the radio from a SSS package?
The RF headunit and 6 disc changer are from the SSS package.

-Richie
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

no real complaints here about the SSS package. i like the spoiler, and the hids are great. only thing that kinda disappoints is the sound to me ... the sound is crisp but when its turned up all the way, its still so quiet.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by sne2040
huh? please elaborate... cause my satellite sounds like a freaking cassette...
Agreed, I know the audio streaming from the satellites is compressed, but it sounds better on other radios. It seems as if the satellite radio module does a poor job of decoding it on this one.
The speakers in the SSS Rockford system seem to be of acceptable quality, but the stereo lets them down. Mine always does automatic volume leveling and it ruins the dynamic range of anything I listen to. I have looked through the manual and there seems to be an option for the radio to adjust volume based on road noise. I've tried turning that off to see if it is involved, but it still has some kind of AVL going on. Maybe it is to protect the system at high volume, but I'm only in the mid 20s usually for listening volume.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

i love my SSS package...the base X looks horrible unless its lowered, and i perfer the big wing, or no wing at all...and the fast key is sweet IMO, and its not so much the HIDs thats a must have b/c you can buy those later, its the projector lens thats a must have....i think the extra $$$ makes people "not like it"....

Last edited by evoooo; Jun 17, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xkaupx
Agreed, I know the audio streaming from the satellites is compressed, but it sounds better on other radios. It seems as if the satellite radio module does a poor job of decoding it on this one.
The speakers in the SSS Rockford system seem to be of acceptable quality, but the stereo lets them down. Mine always does automatic volume leveling and it ruins the dynamic range of anything I listen to. I have looked through the manual and there seems to be an option for the radio to adjust volume based on road noise. I've tried turning that off to see if it is involved, but it still has some kind of AVL going on. Maybe it is to protect the system at high volume, but I'm only in the mid 20s usually for listening volume.
One day when i stop blowing money on power mods and other misc crap, i'll go out and replace my OEM amp and the cute paper-cone speakers with something better. The amp should fix the auto-leveling issue... next issue will be controlling the subwoofer since the OEM amp does it.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:55 PM

love the options.

Quick Reply: Anyone hate the SSS package?