Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Touch-up Pens.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenikh
Any pen paint can work fine, but I like Dr. Colorchip better. Either way, the key to getting a good match to cover the chip is in what you do after you apply the color. You can literally get the body to look like factory if you follow some steps in doin the work.

Needed supplies:
  • Paint pen/tube
  • Clear pen/tube
  • 800 grit wet sandpaper
  • 2000 grit wet sandpaper
  • 3M/Meguiars polish - finish cut and the one up from that

How to do it:
  1. Clean the chip with auto body degreaser
  2. Lay a drop of paint onto the chip
  3. Let it dry
  4. take the 800 grit sandpaper, wet the body panel and sand the paint drop smooth to the chip edge. Try not to sand the surrounding area as much as possible.
  5. Lather, rinse, repeat until your finger can feel the transition between the chip paint and the original paint.
  6. Apply a drop of clear, repeating the above steps.
  7. Once smooth, use the 2000 grit paper (wet), to remove any tooth left by the 800 grit.
  8. Once dry, take the rougher of the two polish compound cuts and rub the hell out of the chip and surrounding body area until everything is an identical haze.
  9. Clean the surface of the panel.
  10. Put the the final polishing cut compound onto a rag and rub the crap out of the panel in circular motions until you can't tell there was ever a chip.

I've done this more times than I can count on cars, motorcycles and bicycles. Works awesome.
Normally that would work but the EVO X's (mine anyway) didn't come with normal automotive paint. It's still soft like it just came out of the spray booth and judging by how I can scratch it with my finger nail I would say it's more akin to pigmented water than real automotive paint.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenikh
Any pen paint can work fine, but I like Dr. Colorchip better. Either way, the key to getting a good match to cover the chip is in what you do after you apply the color. You can literally get the body to look like factory if you follow some steps in doin the work.

Needed supplies:
  • Paint pen/tube
  • Clear pen/tube
  • 800 grit wet sandpaper
  • 2000 grit wet sandpaper
  • 3M/Meguiars polish - finish cut and the one up from that

How to do it:
  1. Clean the chip with auto body degreaser
  2. Lay a drop of paint onto the chip
  3. Let it dry
  4. take the 800 grit sandpaper, wet the body panel and sand the paint drop smooth to the chip edge. Try not to sand the surrounding area as much as possible.
  5. Lather, rinse, repeat until your finger can feel the transition between the chip paint and the original paint.
  6. Apply a drop of clear, repeating the above steps.
  7. Once smooth, use the 2000 grit paper (wet), to remove any tooth left by the 800 grit.
  8. Once dry, take the rougher of the two polish compound cuts and rub the hell out of the chip and surrounding body area until everything is an identical haze.
  9. Clean the surface of the panel.
  10. Put the the final polishing cut compound onto a rag and rub the crap out of the panel in circular motions until you can't tell there was ever a chip.

I've done this more times than I can count on cars, motorcycles and bicycles. Works awesome.
Great advice, I'm going to give it a try this weekend on the truck. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

I have had no problems with the Mitsu paint pen. Touch up paint, various stages of wetsanding, then polish with Menzerna and PC.

After touch up paint on 3 places on my hood (waiting to dry):

During wetsanding touch-up spots and some other scratches I wanted to take care of:

After wetsanding and 3 stages of polishing with PC:

Old Jun 20, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

^^
Is that paint single stage? I know that red on the VIII and IX was. If that's the case much easier to repair compared to clear coat paint.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those touchup pens are awful, and the dealer charging $15 is crazy. I had to get one for my EVO 8 since it was lighting Yellow, I could not find that color anywhere in the touchup paint section at napa or autozone. So I got it from the dealership... plus I had to order it they didnt even have it in stock! How retarded.... $15 plus had to wait 2-3 days then go back to pick it up.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

8$ at SCM..