Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Touch-up Pens.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch-up Pens.

So I was claying/waxing my car, and I noticed I have waaaay more paint chips than I originally thought on the rear doors, rear quarter panels, rocker panels, and hood. I Google'd real quick and found a site that sells touch-up pens for $12. Is that what I should be expecting from the dealer? Also, that site wasn't selling Phantom Black.. Is there a PB touchup pen?

Also, I've heard mixed reviews about them.. Are they effective for the normal driving paint chips?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

stupid pens are $15 at dealers in here in Toronto, so $12US is about right.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

They suck. Or maybe just me. LOL!

I never had a clean application on those. It's only good from afar, but you know it's far from good!!!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:14 AM

Hey man, I have a PB... I used the touch up pen on my sideskirts and the rock chips are barely noticeable now- Especially the spots lower on the car. If your spots are higher up, you're gonna notice em unless they're repaired professionally.

Just follow the instructions on the pen. It comes with a clear so it lasts a bit longer
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

My touch up pen was lame!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I always can't seem to get the clear to go on smoothly without messing up the paint part (even after waiting a long time). The paint side of the touchup pen works fine for me though! Any tips on using the clear?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:46 AM

if u can get the same color paint u can use the end of a match it works like a little paint brush and don't glob
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'm gonna go ahead and pick one up.. See if I can't make it come out good lol.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Dealer was about the same price. I paid $12 for mine. It's nice cause it has clear coat AND matched color.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

the pen sux
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered Dr. Colorchip for my damaged areas, as they are more knicks vs. chips. I plan on just smearing and rub. Hopefully it will hide them well. I have regular touchup for chips with Lankgo to dissolve the blob or whatever that stuff is called.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pen sucks better off just ordering an 1oz or two of paint and just getting a clear coat pen. The clear portion of the pen works good but the paint part sucks, i ended up taking off the tip and using it as a brush cuz the paint was too blobby
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Have your local autobody shop mix you some touch up paint. To touch up a chip get a toothpick and break the very tip off. A toothpick works great in filling in chips..

wm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pen paint can work fine, but I like Dr. Colorchip better. Either way, the key to getting a good match to cover the chip is in what you do after you apply the color. You can literally get the body to look like factory if you follow some steps in doin the work.

Needed supplies:
  • Paint pen/tube
  • Clear pen/tube
  • 800 grit wet sandpaper
  • 2000 grit wet sandpaper
  • 3M/Meguiars polish - finish cut and the one up from that

How to do it:
  1. Clean the chip with auto body degreaser
  2. Lay a drop of paint onto the chip
  3. Let it dry
  4. take the 800 grit sandpaper, wet the body panel and sand the paint drop smooth to the chip edge. Try not to sand the surrounding area as much as possible.
  5. Lather, rinse, repeat until your finger can feel the transition between the chip paint and the original paint.
  6. Apply a drop of clear, repeating the above steps.
  7. Once smooth, use the 2000 grit paper (wet), to remove any tooth left by the 800 grit.
  8. Once dry, take the rougher of the two polish compound cuts and rub the hell out of the chip and surrounding body area until everything is an identical haze.
  9. Clean the surface of the panel.
  10. Put the the final polishing cut compound onto a rag and rub the crap out of the panel in circular motions until you can't tell there was ever a chip.

I've done this more times than I can count on cars, motorcycles and bicycles. Works awesome.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Paint pen's aren't for me, take it to your local dealer and they can brush touch your nicks for near nothing!

Quick Reply: Touch-up Pens.