Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X FQ-400: USA vs UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
A new GT-R in British Pounds would be more then this car, so no you wouldn't.

FQ400 in the UK is £49999, GT-R starts at £56499, not not a huge amount of price difference!!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkM
FQ400 in the UK is £49999, GT-R starts at £56499, not not a huge amount of price difference!!
Well, "not a huge" is subjective. My only point was the GT-R was more money and couldn't be had for the same price, which is true.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They've been good to me. So yeah, I would love the idea of a unique 400hp turn key Evo that's done right.

what warranty work have you gotten done? Mitsubishi has the worst customer service I have ever witnessed.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
what warranty work have you gotten done? Mitsubishi has the worst customer service I have ever witnessed.
My crank pulley damper, fading brembos, ignition switch replaced.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by novaspyder87
An evo x gsr here in canada is 44000$...you dont have the sss package. so I just calculated how much would it cost to me to get to an fq400....it would cost me around 20k-25k maybe more to have the exact same car.

44000$ + 25000$= 69000$

the fq400 is 49000 euro= exactly the same price 69000$ because here in canada euros are 1,5 times more.

so its a great deal that car. and you get a WARRANTY. WOW such a great car.
you getting f-ed up in canada. I bought evo-X base in 2008 for 28K

So to get the fq-400 it will come out 55K which I will pay in a heartbeat
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
We already went through this in the other thread.

Warrantied Factory tuned car>Aftermarket Tuner car.
I think this is one of the few times where I've agreed with you completely .
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midwestX
you getting f-ed up in canada. I bought evo-X base in 2008 for 28K
If in Canada are f-ed up, what we have to say here in Europe...? Here in Italy a stock EDM Evo X GSR costs 47k EUROS = 65k USD...
This is the reason because I got a USDM EVO X : even considering shipping, re-homologation with european rules, etc I saved in any case 10k EUROS.
And this is the same also for electronics and many other goods!

Sorry for the OT!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:43 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
The Brit's, through Mitsu, now have, for 09, bumped up the FQ 360 to the FQ 400. The latter has 403 bhp (crank) with suspension upgrades and sells for 49,999 british pounds or $82,203.66. Now I think the cost of a vehicle in Britian vs here is ~25-30% more (due to volume sales and other factors); so we are talking somewhere around $57.5-$61.6K equivalency. Now if one takes the base GSR in the US with suspension, basic bolt ons (CAI, TBE) and tune we are talking about ~$41K. This means you can obtain the same performance EVO X in the US for between $16.5-$20.6K less. My point, you ask? Our aftermarket vendors are ten's of thousands dollar less than the aquisition of same through a dealership in Great Britain although they have a warranty for the FQ's. That said, the USA is still a steal when it comes to enhansing the performance window of ur car.

Later, Ken
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...LC-Newsletters
The big point you are missing is not just the warranty and the exclusivity but also the fact that the base GSR in the UK costs around $52K at today's conversion rates. You can get a whole lot of Evo here for $52K so it's all a moot point really.

The extra cost isn't really due to volume, it's more to do with the British government taxing the **** out of foreign car manufacturers and anybody else who has the audacity to think they have a right to drive a car on the government's streets.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
well you could by an fp red turbo for 1600 and be well over 400 hp so i dont think an upgraded turbo is worth the price bump. Saying there is a lot to be changed is speculation and probably not true. What exactly do you think is changed?
Saying there is a lot to be changed is speculation, I agree, but the chances of it being true are just the same as it being false. I do not have the Bill of Material for the evo sitting in my hand, but all I can say is that there generally tends to be a lot more to these vehicles than one cares to notice.

Suspension - you can upgrade yourself and outperform the fq400's suspension
Brakes - you can buy your own bbk kit
Turbo - You can upgrade yourself
Exterior and Aero mods- you can do yourself
Clutch- You can do yourself
Wheels - You can do yourself
You actually think people can change their own clutches and turbos! Granted there are a few who can, even so, how many of them could do it with the precision of a factory install. Besides, a factory install lets anyone have the goodies irrespective of their technical aptitude, not so in the case of a self developed project.

Unless HKS went crazy and decided to make adjustments to the chassis I dont see what they possibly could have done that would make it different than the base gsr. You are just falling into the hype of an fq400 name but it really has nothing great to offer.
I am not falling into the hype, I am merely giving the benefit of the doubt to the possibility that there is more to the car than meets the eye.

I highly doubt they "built" the tranny or engine to handle 400 BHP. Im sure Mitsubishi is well aware their stock engine and tranny can handle that much power.
I doubt it too, but there is just no way of telling. Besides, I did not say they built it for them, I just said they cherry pick them. There's a lot of difference.

And about the warranty thing. Well I could only see that being useful in an argument if Mitsubishi actually didnt deny warranties left and right.
I do not know how warranties are handled in the UK, would anyone from the UK care to elaborate?

Last edited by CatalystGod; Jun 16, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Even if there weren't a factory warranty, people would still buy it for the name and also for the build quality. Just like a few years back, there was a Mustang Cobra Type R, no warranty, no A/C, and they sold out. Could you make a stock Mustang GT faster, oh hell yes.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slo4g63
Even if there weren't a factory warranty, people would still buy it for the name and also for the build quality. Just like a few years back, there was a Mustang Cobra Type R, no warranty, no A/C, and they sold out. Could you make a stock Mustang GT faster, oh hell yes.
Yes, after all you are buying an FQ-400; There's a mile distance from the guy who's pushing 380 to the wheels than the guy who's on a brand spanking new, out of the dealer, 360 to the wheels FQ-400, with all WARRANTIED HKS upgrades, the better body work (not aftermarket ghetto body works) the HUGE brakes, all the nice interior (based on the pictures, it's the MR leather package) and even sound dampening compared to that of the MR, unlike the GSR.

It's not really arguable, I'm pretty sure A LOT of people here including me would love to get an FQ-400 off the showrooms rather than getting an GSR and putting the extra 5 grand to push it up to FQ-400 numbers; It still wont be an FQ-400
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
The big point you are missing is not just the warranty and the exclusivity but also the fact that the base GSR in the UK costs around $52K at today's conversion rates. You can get a whole lot of Evo here for $52K so it's all a moot point really.

The extra cost isn't really due to volume, it's more to do with the British government taxing the **** out of foreign car manufacturers and anybody else who has the audacity to think they have a right to drive a car on the government's streets.
Ok, so in Britain, using your figures, it would cost an additional $30K to purchase a FQ-400 vs the base GSR. My point is I think you could upgrade a base GSR to "FQ-400 equivalency" in the UK for well less than that figure and have thousands left over w/o the badge and warranty. Now for the US and taking 25-30% less, the $30K here translates into $21-22.5K. I think with these $$ you could achieve ~400bhp (crank)+clutch+brakes+body kit with thousands left over. In short, if Mitsu were to offer the FQ-400 here, we could accomplish same for thousands less because of our competitive aftermarket sources.

Later, Ken
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:38 PM

i know this is an old thred... and many of you may already know about this,,, but here in USA we have this thing called the FQ-900... better known as the AMS 900x package.... i love the look of the FQ-400, would i buy one for near 60000.. no... but if it were compatible to wut our evo x prices are now (prob at max 52000) then yes i would..... BUT, base GSR for 32000 plus the 21000 AMS 900x = A 53000 dollar monster...

+1 for AMS
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Does the AMS package include labor? I don't think so. Add labor to that 53K and you'll be damn close to broke.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

We already went through this in the other thread.

Warrantied Factory tuned car>Aftermarket Tuner car.
Unless that car has a badge on the trunk, in which case your warranty is essentially useless from the second you sign on the line. I had 2 weeks of hoops to jump through to get a warranty fix of my SEATS approved on a 100% stock car. They took pictures of everything from the bottom of car/engine bay down to the tread of my tires.

Note: They eventually decided to cover it, but insisted they needed to keep my car for 2 weeks to have it shipped (and by this I'm sure they meant "driven") to an upholstery repair company. This for a 45 minute job. I ended up doing it myself.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Jun 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO X FQ-400: USA vs UK