Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Driving Tips to Minimize Fuel Consumption in City Driving?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 944guy
check out the rpm in most modern automatic transmission vehicles. the rpms basically drop to idle when you coast... why do you suppose that is?

in any case. i suggest a trial for the op: on one tank of gas try the shift-to-neutral when coming to a stop or rolling down a hill approach and compare your mpg to your usual average and report back

when you go to nuetral your car needs to apply gas to keep the engine running, but when you stay in gear and coast the wheels supply the engine the momentum to keep running therefore no gas is used at all. I have a wideband installed and at idle my afr is 14.7 but coasting in gear my afr is 18.4 maxxed out lean.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 944guy
check out the rpm in most modern automatic transmission vehicles. the rpms basically drop to idle when you coast... why do you suppose that is?
"We went in search of an expert opinion on this one. According to Paul Williamsen, the product education manager at Toyota, “All contemporary Toyota and Lexus vehicles (and every other car built since the 1990s that I’ve looked at) can detect the condition when engine revs are higher than idle with a fully closed throttle: Under these conditions, all current to the fuel injectors is stopped, and no fuel is injected.” That means if your foot is off the gas while the car’s in gear, you’re not using any fuel.
Tom Read, GM’s powertrain spokesman, agrees: “Shifting into neutral in an automatic will cancel fuel cutoff. Thus, it is better to remain in gear and let the drive wheels pull the engine airflow down to where fuel cutoff can be enabled or where fuel flow is minimized.”
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

very interesting, I have actually been wondering about this for a few days. I know braking in neutral kills your pads because the engine doesnt help, but I didnt know braking in neutral also wastes gas..thats def very good info.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Since the Outlander is cousin to the Lancer, you guys should check out Mitsubishi neutral logic, the only time the transmission goes to neutral is when it's at a complete stop! My old man taught me how to drive stick and he always told me to shift down, he's been driving stick for 30+ years, I decided to stick with his advice! Anyways, there's tons of fuel consumption advice on yahoo as well, take some time and read the owners manual, it's rather intuitive! Good luck with the MPG's...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ride by yourself and don't add passengers.
Use non ethanol gasoline if available.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a $600 Sh!tbox with a 1.6l engine. You'll spend more than that on the first set of tires and brake pads with the evo. Just drive the X on weekends etc...money saved.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

^ if i had another parking spot at my apartment building i would do that in a heart beat
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

besides the whole safety issue of sitting at a light in neutral which option would save more gas, sitting in neutral or sitting in first gear with the clutch in? would the gas savings outweigh any possible strain on mechanics in the transmission when keeping the clutch pedal down for so long?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
16/22

It stays true to that. First week of driving and I averaged right around 16 (15.xx).
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mmartahus
besides the whole safety issue of sitting at a light in neutral which option would save more gas, sitting in neutral or sitting in first gear with the clutch in? would the gas savings outweigh any possible strain on mechanics in the transmission when keeping the clutch pedal down for so long?
When sitting at a light sitting in neutral vs sitting in first gear with the clutch in would be the same amount of gas used. In both cases the engine is disengaged from the gears although if I'm not going to accelerate within a few seconds my foot is lightly on the brake and the car is in neutral. You can push the clutch in and shift into 1st pretty quickly if not napping behind the wheel. Holding the clutch in with the car in gear would seem to be quite a bit of extra wear if done at every light and you would also tend to roll around if on a hill.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Once a HPDE instructor posed a question in the classrom wondering what would happen if you approached a 60mph turn at 120mph on a road course and just turned the wheel without applying the brakes. Would the car lower you to the proper speed with the ASC handling aids to complete the turn or would you just roll the car
You'd push wide and end up in the weeds.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Same tips you would follow for any car. No jack rabbit starts. Accelerate smoothly. Get into the highest gear possible when cruising. Don't floor it. Come to a stop smoothly. Make sure your tires are properly inflated.

And, specific to turbo-charged cars, stay out of boost.

^this.

but staying out of boost on a short geared evo x will be challenging.

drove 375 highway miles, I get 21.6mpg. A/C on auto mode (75-degrees) all the way. Speed varied from 60mph (with short burst of accel and decel) , 75mph and 80mph.

No, I did not look at the Mitsu display info for my average mpg. I had a full tank of gas, reset the tripmeter to 0, travel a few hundred miles, recorded miles traveled and divided by the fuel consumed.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

If I baby the car I get a combined 22-23mpg. If I am hard on it I get around 18-19 combined. That's 2 mpg better then my tuned VIII or IX ever got. My car is tuned with an AP. I have never try the economy map to see if it would help.

So just do like everyone else says and stay out of boost as much as possible.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
I'm confused... where does it say coasting in neutral is illegal in any state?

Oh and for the question at hand, you should try to minimize stopping altogether. If you see a light red and the cross-traffic's light has turned yellow, you can usually coast down and creep slowly up to the line and have the light turn green well before you come to a stop so that almost every stop can turn into a rolling stop.

You can also do this at red lights when you're turning right or at a stop sign, but those two are illegal :P

I dont know about your state, but here in California its perfectly legal to make a right turn on a red light.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

not always about keeping the revs as low as possible but rather keeping the revs where the engine makes the most power with the least throttle input, or in other words, where it is most efficient....

For me this is between 2750 and 3250 but I'm not even close to stock anymore.

Quick Reply: Evo X Driving Tips to Minimize Fuel Consumption in City Driving?