Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Vs. 135i Vs. 370z

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Funny thing you mention that because nobody is buying the 370Z. Sales have been terrible. Also I agree about the exhaust note. It has the same dust buster tone that 90's GM V6 engines used to have not to mention the engine is extremely rough and unrefined.
Err, no. I had an early 90's GM V6, one of the 60 degree ones. Maybe you are talking about a 3800 or a 4.3L which were different motors, but mine was the one found in most of the W-bodies like the Grand Prix, Lumina, some Corsicas and Berettas and some Cavaliers. It sound like it was underwater - muffled, weird and nothing like the VQ.

However, totally spot on about no one buying the Z. Sales have been awful, but they have been for all sports cars and the Z is still probably the best selling among them - behind the Camaro and Mustang of course.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I'm surprised by the number of people that actually like the 370Z on here. It's nice that it's RWD and handles quite well, but it has limited use because its a two seater. Plus it has a blatty exhaust note that sounds like an early nineties Chevy Corsica. Vomit.

The X is great, but 1 Series M coupe is now available and one heck of a car too. The 370Z is dead last to me of these cars.
I would love the 370Z as a DD car, and wouldn't care if its little Spartan ride .

I simply like the look and the whole package.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Err, no. I had an early 90's GM V6, one of the 60 degree ones. Maybe you are talking about a 3800 or a 4.3L which were different motors, but mine was the one found in most of the W-bodies like the Grand Prix, Lumina, some Corsicas and Berettas and some Cavaliers. It sound like it was underwater - muffled, weird and nothing like the VQ.

However, totally spot on about no one buying the Z. Sales have been awful, but they have been for all sports cars and the Z is still probably the best selling among them - behind the Camaro and Mustang of course.
I posted that tongue in cheek initially. But blatty V6 drones, I despise. And all iterations of VQ completely remind me of Z24s, Berettas, or Corsicas. Especially when the Chevy cars had an exhaust. It's not a picture perfect recreation, but just a reminder that NA V6s are a total earsore and six cylinder engines are supposed to be inline... and symphonic.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
It's not a picture perfect recreation, but just a reminder that NA V6s are a total earsore and six cylinder engines are supposed to be inline... and symphonic.
Ha ha. I do agree that straight 6's sound better, but I really like the sound of the the FTO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAnBqzi02k
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Ha ha. I do agree that straight 6's sound better, but I really like the sound of the the FTO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAnBqzi02k
All my life I saw 2.0 and just assumed the FTO was an inline four. You shattered that the second I clicked play on that youtube, my brother. Oh, the horror.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ah ha ha. Mitsu made a 1.6L V6 too, I wonder what that sounded like at about 8000RPMs.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thing you mention that because nobody is buying the 370Z. Sales have been terrible. Also I agree about the exhaust note. It has the same dust buster tone that 90's GM V6 engines used to have not to mention the engine is extremely rough and unrefined.

You can say that the 370Z is still selling in EVO like numbers but these cars are supposed to sell in much more volume than a niche car like the EVO. The RX8 on the other hand is essentially dead;
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...once-more.html
Why would people not be buying the 370Z? I drove one before and it was a very great feeling sports car. Not the most practical car with no backseat and virtually no trunk... but when it came to "sports"... it was great and I liked it more than the 350Z.

In regards to my own choice... I'd choose the EVO because of it's more extreme AWD performance and it's more practical since it's a sedan.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ You hit the nail on the head. With no back seat and rwd it's an unpractical choice for people who have many better options in the price range. Add to that the state of the economy you're not going to sell alot of them.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Why would people not be buying the 370Z?
Because in a down market and struggling economy, sales of 2 door coupes particularly 2 seaters, usually are the first to fall off a cliff.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...l-hurting.html
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because in a down market and struggling economy, sales of 2 door coupes particularly 2 seaters, usually are the first to fall off a cliff.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...l-hurting.html
Wow that's pretty grim all around except from the Mustang. Have to wonder how long Nissan will continue with the GTR selling less than 1000 of them annually. That car cost a lot of $$$ to develope and build and the 911 despite being considerably more money outsells it almost 5 to 1. Just goes back to the theory that masses as a whole will only pay so much for a Japanese made car.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's pretty grim all around except from the Mustang. Have to wonder how long Nissan will continue with the GTR selling less than 1000 of them annually. That car cost a lot of $$$ to develope and build and the 911 despite being considerably more money outsells it almost 5 to 1. Just goes back to the theory that masses as a whole will only pay so much for a Japanese made car.
Thats all a status thing. I hate what society has become and how important status is. Nobody cares about what model your car is unless they are a car person, but you walk into a starbucks at 7:30 AM and tell somebody.

I drive a Mitsubishi.. or
I drive a Nissan... they stop listening right away. Now you say the word Porsche.. or BMW it doesnt matter what it is.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Wow that's pretty grim all around except from the Mustang.
And the Camaro, which outsold the Mustang in 2010. The Corvette and even the Challenger outsold every Japanese car mentioned in that article. I wish they had reported on Hyundai Genesis coupe sales. This is why Nissan didn't even bother bringing the Silvia back and probably why Toyota and Subaru are rushing their car to market.