Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Vs. 135i Vs. 370z

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElementK
German reliability... the car could cost ten grand more now, and twenty additional when things start to go wrong as the car ages.
That's why I'm trading in the 325xi for an X...maintenance is a bit much.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:02 AM

Well I can give an honest opinion of the 370z vs the Evo X. My GF decided to get a 370z, I got the Evo X.

For starters my impressions on the 370z are this. I hated the 350z, body wise, interior wise, and driving wise. I concidered that car when I got my old Evo VIII. The 370z fixes everything I disliked about the 350z. Its fast, it handles extremely well with some incredible levels of grip, its absolutely a complete fun car to drive. My 3 biggest gripes are, the seats feel cheap, especially after the feeling of the Evo X seats, the side views are a *****, and space is an issue as well.

However of the 3 if I didnt have mods, or kids that I would worry about, I would buy this car of the 3. It was able to become a lighter more fun car to drive compared to the 350z. Mitsubishi should take some notes from Nissan on that one.

The Evo X coming from the Evo VIII was a shock in some ways. The Evo VIII is an animal compared to it. The Evo X is far more civilized, but not BMW or german civilized....at least not yet. The weight is felt. However it can be tossed around a lot more aggressively than my old VIII could be, with a Muellerized Stage 1 kit.

So comparing the Evo X with the 370z directly these are my impressions: Evo feels a bit less aggressive. However it handles and accelerates exactly with the 370z....I know this for a fact . The 370z is more fun to drive. The Evo's mods are far, far more cheap. A full exhaust for my GFs car will run around $3k. My full exhaust for the Evo X will be $1k. Intake for the 370z is $550. The AEM is $250. Get the idea?

Also keep in mind the Evo X trunk space is limited compared to the VIII/IX's trunk. You arent gaining much in trunk space over the 370z. You WILL gain passenger space though for 2 or 3 more people.

Now my impressions on the 135i from driving, and from my co-workers that have tracked a few, are that you will have a much better cruiser, and top speed over the Evo. Tuning possibilities and mods are in line or slightly cheaper than the 370z. The 135i also has a lot of possibilities with a LSD, and some suspension tuning that will allow it to do a great job with running at the track. The big issue with the 135i? Finding one at a decent price thats not all packaged up. The 135i's usually run $45k+ at the dealerships. At that point you are in C6 territory, which IMHO is a better comparison with the 370z.

Quite frankly, you can't go wrong with any of these cars. Each of these will do great at the track, and the single biggest influence will be the driver. Good luck!

Last edited by x[corwyn]; Aug 3, 2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

have you considered the 335 over the 135? its nearly the same price but the back seat is a lot more usable and it looks better imo
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm... the 335 is "only" 5k more, at the bottom end. Wonder what the end price usually ends up being for one, versus a 135.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:05 PM

an EVO X shouldn't be compared with these cars, it's a rally car, even after the improvements they've made to the comfort..
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x[corwyn
So comparing the Evo X with the 370z directly these are my impressions: Evo feels a bit less aggressive. However it handles and accelerates exactly with the 370z....I know this for a fact .
i wulda thought that the 370 is much quicker than the X stock for stock, espeically up top, given the difference in trap speeds between the two vehicles...
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:06 PM

the modding part for the z kinda sucks, dual everything and not boosted, but if not looking for crazy power, that car seems pretty decent.

135 just looks odd to me, 335 looks much better imo

evo should be compared to other rally cars
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

evo should be compared to other rally cars
So back to the age old Evo X vs. STI ?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:08 AM

the 370z can make almost as much power as the 135i and evo x with NA bolt on's.
it's a very competent track car however you need to buy an oil cooler right off the bat.

the 135i is a very nice car. drives amazing, you feel the road and there is plenty of room to carry all your stuff around, plus you have that 4 year super warranty that replaces anything wearable for free except tires. 430whp is the ceiling with the stock turbo on pump gas. it's a bmw, it's gonna be good. fully loaded from dealers right now costs about 38k-39k

the 370z is gonna be a fun car too, looks sick, drives great and has the synchro rev if you get the sport package. and with the turbo kit coming out soon the you can make anywhere from 400whp-630whp with stock internals. so if you want to go that route get a used 370z sport package and you'll be at about 40k after the turbo kit installation.

the evo on the other hand is awd so you can drive it year round without worries. makes plenty power or you can go with some of the turbo kits available right now and make more, will have around the same price as a modded 370z and you are on a evo forum lol so everyone is gonna tell you to get it. i have never driven it so idk how it drives.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:52 AM

the 135 has no lsd! so it sucks for autox
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo
370z

I like the way the evo X looks, and its the most practical all around
MPG is about the same all the way around, so that wouldn't factor.
370 looks awesome, but being a 2 seater, with a small hatch limits livability for me, I'm married with a kid. If I were single with no plans of settling down that would be a harder choice.
135, cool car, but I don't think I could look at it every day, maybe as a dedicated track car. But any of the 3 series would be nice.
They will all perform well, straight line, turns, whatever. Without the need for additional passengers it would be a toss up between the evo and the Z. I'd probably go with the Z. I don't think the base 370 has an lsd either.
There's the Genesis too, can't really compete stock, but monthly's would be lower and you could mod a little more.

Last edited by sloAZevo; Aug 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewsti
the 135 has no lsd! so it sucks for autox
wait what? plenty of cars that have no lsd don't suck at auto-x.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supergoji
the 370z can make almost as much power as the 135i and evo x with NA bolt on's.
it's a very competent track car however you need to buy an oil cooler right off the bat.

the 135i is a very nice car. drives amazing, you feel the road and there is plenty of room to carry all your stuff around, plus you have that 4 year super warranty that replaces anything wearable for free except tires. 430whp is the ceiling with the stock turbo on pump gas. it's a bmw, it's gonna be good. fully loaded from dealers right now costs about 38k-39k

the 370z is gonna be a fun car too, looks sick, drives great and has the synchro rev if you get the sport package. and with the turbo kit coming out soon the you can make anywhere from 400whp-630whp with stock internals. so if you want to go that route get a used 370z sport package and you'll be at about 40k after the turbo kit installation.

the evo on the other hand is awd so you can drive it year round without worries. makes plenty power or you can go with some of the turbo kits available right now and make more, will have around the same price as a modded 370z and you are on a evo forum lol so everyone is gonna tell you to get it. i have never driven it so idk how it drives.
i haven't seen any 370 that made 350whp/400wtq with just a chip/intake/downpipes like the n54 engined cars can

or make 100whp gain with bolt-ons and tune like the X can on pump gas

not taking anything away from the 370z but it's not turbo'ed from the factory so the initial gains in power isn't as impressive as other boosted factory cars like the evo/135.

the 370 does respond much better to bolt-ons than the 350 though
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JonWantEvo
Alright, so my lease is ending fairly soon and i've been wondering what my next car would be.

Nissan 370z
Mitsu Evo X
BMW 135i

Nissan 370z
  1. 332 BHP
  2. light weight
  3. two doors
  4. about 30k intro price

Mitsu Evo X
  1. 292 AWHP
  2. Turbo
  3. 4 doors
  4. can easily gain horsepower
  5. GSR trim MSRP around 33k

BMW 135i
  1. 300 HP
  2. Twin Turbo
  3. 2 doors 4 seats
  4. MSRP around 35k
now, ofcourse. this is only a basic overview of the cars.

on youtube they have a Evo X vs 135i comparo and 135i vs 370z comparo.

which car would you think would be the best daily driver and a moderate price that you can mod?

I know i'm asking on an evo forum ^_^
just curious.

are you sure the car is 292 awhp stock? and not to the crank
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:04 AM

outa of the three evo seems to be the obvious choice performance wise however it isn't as good on the street as a 135. 135 has so much low end torque and such a nice auto tranny you would be happy to be stuck in traffic. Interior in the 135 is much better as well.

It really comes down to what you need, ultimate power and grip and less comfort *evo* or a balance of both (135). I won't even consider 370z first of all it isn't practical, secondly it has a harsh ride. It also isn't that fast and is hard to mod.

Quick Reply: Evo X Vs. 135i Vs. 370z