Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Larger fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the topic of the X's fueling.... Anybody else hate the fact that the fuel gauge doesn't read very well below, say 30 miles left, on the "miles remaining" screen? And after 10 mi., it doesn't even read anything at all! Or am I the only one with this issue, and cares so much as to speak up about it? lol
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Olaboy808
On the topic of the X's fueling.... Anybody else hate the fact that the fuel gauge doesn't read very well below, say 30 miles left, on the "miles remaining" screen? And after 10 mi., it doesn't even read anything at all! Or am I the only one with this issue, and cares so much as to speak up about it? lol
mine does it too.... it goes to 0 when I still have two gal left, it think its for a worse case senario if you were running a WOT and 2 gal would only get you about 12 miles
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Its because mitsu doesnt want you to run out of fuel. So lets say for example you had 30 miles left on the tank, if the computer jumps to 0, wont you get scared that you might run out of fuel and refill? ****, if im on empty and the computer is telling me its at 0, is sure as hell pulling over and onto the next gas station i see.

ps. my maxima does this too, it still has 2 gallons in the tank left but tells me it has 0.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WolvieDC

Used to drive a Mustang (yes I know please refrain from teh bashing ) but one option you could get from vendor was a replacement fuel tank that added 5+ gal to the stock tank, it was just a slightly larger tank that extended down another inch or two.
Like I mentioned, I would be all over an extra 5 gallon capacity especially if it had some anti fuel starvation pickup design built into the tank. Someone make one!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

i just feel sorry for the people only gettign 250 a tank... i drive city and i can get >300 if i watch the mpg screen. driving with ZERO boost gives this car a big boost in mpg. If thats what you are looking for you gotta think like those extreme pruis drivers getting 100 mpg. do a lot of coasting, very small throttle adjustments, slow starts. you know that light in front of you is going to change, start slowing down earlier. if the light is red, why are you ina hurry to get there/ put it in neutral and coast to the red light, maybe it'll change before you get there.

dont get me wrong, i drive the **** outta my car when im not going back and forth to work, but on those days i milk it. this past tank i got 28.4 mpg with just back and forth to work, a 10 mile round trip. this was actual mpg, not what the car said btw.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pcasso87
Im wondering why cobb or other tuning companies havent come up with this, its a good idea!!!! 250 is not that bad, my s4 only gave me 200

Cobbs AP has a more fuel efficient map available for download.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by alktrio06
Cobbs AP has a more fuel efficient map available for download.
can u change between maps easliy?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:15 AM

fuel cell?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jondimellow
can u change between maps easliy?
Yeah it very easy and quick with the car parked key set to on, about 1 minute depending on how long it takes the user - i think. Maybe up to 2.

But its made for an otherwise stock vehicle.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:06 AM

No one is going to make a bigger fuel tank. Not enough market to even mess around with. An alternative would be a surge tank/fuel cell. Something like a Sard system. And even then, the full system will cost you way too much to justify the 5 min you need to fill up. If you were really worry about fuel economy, the Evo is the wrong car to begin with.

http://sardracing.com/fuelcollectortank.aspx they have a 5L (1.25gallon) unit.

Last edited by XOoET64oOX; Aug 14, 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: corrected math
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XOoET64oOX
If you were really worry about fuel economy, the Evo is the wrong car to begin with.

Duh, but I think your confusing fuel economy with driving range I van buy a suberban with horrible fuel economy but has a huge range.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XOoET64oOX
No one is going to make a bigger fuel tank. Not enough market to even mess around with. An alternative would be a surge tank/fuel cell. Something like a Sard system. And even then, the full system will cost you way too much to justify the 5 min you need to fill up. If you were really worry about fuel economy, the Evo is the wrong car to begin with.

Well there are plenty of places that could fab one based on the original design on your dime, not saying it will be cheap but you could get extra tank capacity and also address fuel starvation for the those that road race their cars.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
i just feel sorry for the people only gettign 250 a tank... i drive city and i can get >300 if i watch the mpg screen. driving with ZERO boost gives this car a big boost in mpg. If thats what you are looking for you gotta think like those extreme pruis drivers getting 100 mpg. do a lot of coasting, very small throttle adjustments, slow starts. you know that light in front of you is going to change, start slowing down earlier. if the light is red, why are you ina hurry to get there/ put it in neutral and coast to the red light, maybe it'll change before you get there.

dont get me wrong, i drive the **** outta my car when im not going back and forth to work, but on those days i milk it. this past tank i got 28.4 mpg with just back and forth to work, a 10 mile round trip. this was actual mpg, not what the car said btw.
I'm sorry dude but 300+ per tank?? There is simply no way. I usually fill up when the car yells at me, and it takes about 11.5 gallons so...

300 miles / 11.5 gallons = 26.1mpg

That's a lot more than the EPA estimate for city and about 8 more mpg than I get on average between city and highway.

Originally Posted by jondimellow
yea the range does suck. CC is your friend on long hauls.

i wonder if different tunes are available. if you were driving long distances, flip a switch for gas saver mode, and then when you want fun, flip a switch to gas guzzler mode.
You mean like flipping a switch to increase the air/fuel ratio? Sounds fun. Let me know how that goes.

Last edited by flyguycfi; Aug 16, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can get 250 miles to the tank doing a lot of city/highway driving ... probably 50/50 or maybe 40/60 so I know strictly on highway miles I could get close to 300. Are you driving both on these long trips, or are you just driving to fast? A tune, a drop in filter, and a TBE add power, but they can also add a bit of mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.. if you can find a larger tank and install it or have one made that's cool, but I would try slowing down a little and adding the mods I listed before getting into all that. I know 50 miles isn't a huge difference, but it's better than nothing.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
I'm sorry dude but 300+ per tank?? There is simply no way. I usually fill up when the car yells at me, and it takes about 11.5 gallons so...

300 miles / 11.5 gallons = 26.1mpg

That's a lot more than the EPA estimate for city and about 8 more mpg than I get on average between city and highway.

You mean like flipping a switch to increase the air/fuel ratio? Sounds fun. Let me know how that goes.
It's possible to get really good mileage on the highway for long trips. Right now if I reset the trip computer once I'm at speed, I'll get around 31 MPG at 65-70 mph which is pretty darn good. I may play with changing the open loop crossover from 100% load down to 30% load and adjust the AFR from 14.7 to 15.3 and see what a lean burn cruise tune yields.

My actual trip to the Buschur shootout yielded 29 MPG on the way there, and that was with some stops and searching for a hotel after the car show. 350+ miles on that one tank of gas. On the way back I was going 75 mph and it dropped to 27 MPG but that's still decent.

My city MPG is still around low 20's, not much you can do to improve that besides driving like an old maid.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 18, 2009 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Larger fuel tank