Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Larger fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gexxer
i just feel sorry for the people only gettign 250 a tank... i drive city and i can get >300 if i watch the mpg screen. driving with ZERO boost gives this car a big boost in mpg. If thats what you are looking for you gotta think like those extreme pruis drivers getting 100 mpg. do a lot of coasting, very small throttle adjustments, slow starts. you know that light in front of you is going to change, start slowing down earlier. if the light is red, why are you ina hurry to get there/ put it in neutral and coast to the red light, maybe it'll change before you get there.
I don't know... I feel sorry for anyone tiptoeing around town in one of these on a daily basis trying to extract a few more MPG. You can have a lot more fun driving around something like an Si/GTI/etc. with a moderate-to-heavy foot, and still get better gas mileage than a gingerly-driven X.

As a note, you're using unnecessary fuel coasting to red lights in neutral. The car is adding fuel to keep the engine idling. If you coast to the light in gear, no fuel is used until you fall below idle RPM.

I don't really care about adding capacity, but something that addresses the fuel starvation problems would be a nice addition.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven pretty far after the low fuel indicator comes on. I drove about 40 miles at highway speed (I have to admit I was starting to get worried). The tank is 14.5 gallons and it seems the reserve comes on at 11.75 or so. Therefore, one way to increase your range is to simply drive more on the same tank! You should comfortably be able to add at least 20-30 miles to your range once you reach the low fuel warning.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I don't know... I feel sorry for anyone tiptoeing around town in one of these on a daily basis trying to extract a few more MPG. You can have a lot more fun driving around something like an Si/GTI/etc. with a moderate-to-heavy foot, and still get better gas mileage than a gingerly-driven X.
You know, I've made an identical point in various MPG threads over the years. It never went over well.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
It's possible to get really good mileage on the highway for long trips. Right now if I reset the trip computer once I'm at speed, I'll get around 31 MPG at 65-70 mph which is pretty darn good. I may play with changing the open loop crossover from 100% load down to 30% load and adjust the AFR from 14.7 to 15.3 and see what a lean burn cruise tune yields.

My actual trip to the Buschur shootout yielded 29 MPG on the way there, and that was with some stops and searching for a hotel after the car show. 350+ miles on that one tank of gas. On the way back I was going 75 mph and it dropped to 27 MPG but that's still decent.

My city MPG is still around low 20's, not much you can do to improve that besides driving like an old maid.
that's definitely good mileage!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

I think HiBoost's main advantage is that his turbo (from the GT30 I see in his sig..) probably isn't spooling as much as the stocker cruising on the highway in the relatively short fifth gear. More boost = more gas.

OP- I see two much more feasible options than disassembling a large portion of your car and messing with something as integral as the fuel tank.

1) Get a big turbo. Won't spool as much at cruising speed.. Won't go into the other pros and cons here.

2) Much easier than replacing the fuel tank, just replace fifth gear. Sure the first person to do this will have to do some groundwork, but someone like Shep could for sure figure out a way to make fifth a taller gear. Also, a few companies (namely Buschur) are looking into selling slightly taller final drives that should also address this problem.

Just a couple of other thoughts. Like everyone else said though, enjoy the car or go buy a Suburban.

Last edited by johntesi; Aug 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

As a note, you're using unnecessary fuel coasting to red lights in neutral. The car is adding fuel to keep the engine idling. If you coast to the light in gear, no fuel is used until you fall below idle RPM.
?????? aren't you still using fuel if you coast in gear, since the engine is still running (and at a higher RPM) it's just leaned out to 14.7 AFR?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by artnsx
?????? aren't you still using fuel if you coast in gear, since the engine is still running (and at a higher RPM) it's just leaned out to 14.7 AFR?
No, most cars cut fuel when decelerating in gear, which is sometimes referred to as engine braking. It's certainly true on manuals, but may vary on automatics. The only reason the engine is still "running" is because the inertia is forcing the car's wheels to turn, which forces the engine to turn. No fuel is used during this process.

If you don't believe me, you can grab a Scangauge that shows instantaneous MPG to verify, but you can also use the X's built-in MPG gauge on the multi-function display. Try coasting to a stop, and you'll see that the bar goes off the chart high (you're essentially getting infinite MPG). Coast to a stop at idle, and you'll see it drop down to zero or close to it. Idling while stopped obviously nets you 0 MPG.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 19, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
i just feel sorry for the people only gettign 250 a tank... i drive city and i can get >300 if i watch the mpg screen. driving with ZERO boost gives this car a big boost in mpg. ..dont get me wrong, i drive the **** outta my car when im not going back and forth to work, but on those days i milk it. this past tank i got 28.4 mpg with just back and forth to work, a 10 mile round trip. this was actual mpg, not what the car said btw.

this is on a stock tune or aftermarket reflash/tune?

no way 300mi on stock tune. i drive back n forth 10 mile round trip too city daily, and i baby it and i can barely squeeze 200mi out of the tank before the guage readys E and starts flashing

(OT: plus Zero boost..? why bother getting the Evo then )
Old Aug 23, 2023, 01:49 PM

You get 250 miles between fill-ups or till you run out of fuel?! 250 miles between fill ups is pretty good!

I only get 200 miles between fill-ups with no mods. Only Mitsubishi mud flaps. I guess you don't have mud flaps!

Really pisses me off that the non-turbo Lancers have larger fuel tanks.

Regarding driving no boost and achieving 300 miles between fill-ups, that's showing some restraint! I don't think most people can do this. I'm even curious to how. Shifting how the owner manual recommends (low RPM shift points)?

Last edited by RJ Boisvert; Aug 23, 2023 at 01:58 PM.