Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Removing trunk carpet to access top strut bolts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing trunk carpet to access top strut bolts

OK, I feel a little silly asking this, but I'm just stuck.

I'm trying to track down a clunking in my rear suspension. Everything is tight on the bottom of the car, so I'm now going to check the bolts on the top of the strut. I know that I need to remove the trunk carpeting to access the top of the strut, but I just can't figure out how to get it all out.

I made quite a bit of progress, but how do you remove the plastic "pins"? (they attach the black plastic pieces, which need to be removed because some of the carpet's edge is behind the black plastic) Do you just pry them out from the side, from the middle, ? I don't want to break or scratch them.

TIA,
--michael
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

to get to the struts you're gonna need to rip out all of the black plastic and the carpet. it should all be clipped in
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by weneversleep
OK, I feel a little silly asking this, but I'm just stuck.

I'm trying to track down a clunking in my rear suspension. Everything is tight on the bottom of the car, so I'm now going to check the bolts on the top of the strut. I know that I need to remove the trunk carpeting to access the top of the strut, but I just can't figure out how to get it all out.

I made quite a bit of progress, but how do you remove the plastic "pins"? (they attach the black plastic pieces, which need to be removed because some of the carpet's edge is behind the black plastic) Do you just pry them out from the side, from the middle, ? I don't want to break or scratch them.

TIA,
--michael
Bro, what is your EVO X (MR?) mileage? Is your sound from the rear sounded like clinging... springy.... metal-metal touching sound... going normal speed can u still hear it? or slowing down then u can hear it...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two types of clips. The ones at the back of the car near the trunk opening just spin off. They have a little handle to help this.

The ones holding the plastic to the bracing on the back of the trunk (behind the seats) are the typical plastic pop rivets.

They look kinda like this:

You put a flathead screwdriver under the lip of the center section and pry the center section out. Then the entire "rivet" comes out. There are 4-6 of them holding the center plastic shroud on. Once those come out and the plastic comes out the carpet just falls out.

Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone (especially goofygrin for the pictures), I got it figured out. I just didn't know how to get those plastic pop rivets out, but a flathead screwdriver to pry them out easily did the trick.

Also, for anyone doing this, make sure to remove the trunk lid weatherstripping rubber. It's easy to remove (and replace), and sure makes getting the carpet panels out easier.

Now if I could just figure out where my clunking is coming from... even the top strut bolts were tight...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
stock suspension or coilovers? If coilovers then it's the preload is set incorrectly. If it's the stock suspension, take it to the dealership... It could be a shipping block put into the springs to keep them from getting sprung during shipping.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

No, it's bone stock.

No shipping blocks in the springs either.

I have another thread for my clunking sound: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/437147-clunking-sound-passenger-side-rear.html
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

if your car is purchased from a mitsu dealership and there is a warranty on the car, i would just take it to them. let them deal with it and this way it will be documented.