Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tips for a first time beginner at the track - Driving Evo X MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for a first time beginner at the track - Driving Evo X MR

Hey fellow Evo owners. Tomorrow I will be heading to Buttonwillow, California to attend the Performance Driving Clinic. This will be my first time setting foot on a real track and I was wondering if you guys have any good advice for a beginner. I will be driving my 2008 Evolution X MR so there are a few gadgets I'm confused about setting up.

For example, do I set my transmission in Normal, Sport, Super-Sport, with or without manual controls? I also have a Blitz Throttle Controller, should I set this to SP1, SP2, SP3? Do you guys recommend that I also turn off traction control?

I also understand there will be a lot of following so why set my transmission to redline every time on Super Sport mode and SP3 when there a car in front of me? Any other general advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I hope the temperature there isn`t too hot, otherwise you may encounter the Slow Down warning if the SST temperature gets too hot after 15mins or so. I would definitely look into the SST oil cooler upgrade before hitting the track.

To answer your question, I would set the SST to S-Sport and let the transmission do the shifting for you. Blitz TC would help a lot too, SP2 and SP3 is designed for track use.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, don't break and don't crash and you'll be good.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

i thought you meant don`t brake...lol

Originally Posted by gsr0801
yeah, don't break and don't crash and you'll be good.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Temperature will be ranging from 80s to mid 90s but there will be 50% clouds. Hopefully I don't get the alert to "slow down" Any advice on traction control settings? Would an open face helmet work better or close face helmet?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:44 PM

just be as smooth as you can. relax and don't panic....
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

go slow to go fast
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

keep an eye on your water temp. not worth it to overheat your motor.

also constantly check your tire pressures, dont let it get above 40 ish when hot.

talk to other track people =D

also, dont run low on motor oil
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

It's an MR. Point it in a general direction and push the pedal until you get there. If it's a circle, rinse, wash, complete
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
brake early and late apex, then just keep moving your braking points and tighten up the apex on each trip around the track
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mangoes
keep an eye on your water temp. not worth it to overheat your motor.

also constantly check your tire pressures, dont let it get above 40 ish when hot.

talk to other track people =D

also, dont run low on motor oil
Very helpful
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

make sure you have motul dot 4 brake fluid in your lines. Bleed your brakes. If you are still on old oil, i would do an oil and filter change before heading out. If you are concerned with brakes, I would at least get something better than oem pads especially in that heat. Get a CG-Lock to hold you in better. Bring tools, jack, jack stands just in case. Now go have some fun and stay safe.

P.S. If you happen to put 2 wheels off, make sure you drive STRAIGHT OFF, especially the last esses and the turn before the main straight. There are walls on the inside, so don't try to be hero and save it after the fact or else you will go straight into them.

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; Aug 21, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

jeezes it pains me to read some of these posts, put it in super sport mode/automatic and drive it like a rental car in bagdad at night. if it over heats, limp back and let it cool off. then do it again. car is under warranty beat the ever living sheeet out of it. of course make sure it has oil and I put the tires at 40 psi stiiffens the sidewall. if you dont put it on the grass once you are taking it to easy. My MR was in normal mode once. never again if I wanted a camry I would have bought one.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have any advice specific to the X (I have an 8), but I did like the following advice:

Take out your entire bank account in $100 bills. Tape them to the dash to remind you how much money you have. Drive accordingly.

I'm going to VIR next week. I plan on having a lot of fun, going fast enough to scare myself again, and driving home with the car in one piece.

Being the fastest car at a track day or HPDE isn't worth much. Enjoying yourself and learning about your car and high performance driving is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by rburris28
I don't have any advice specific to the X (I have an 8), but I did like the following advice:

Take out your entire bank account in $100 bills. Tape them to the dash to remind you how much money you have. Drive accordingly.

I'm going to VIR next week. I plan on having a lot of fun, going fast enough to scare myself again, and driving home with the car in one piece.

Being the fastest car at a track day or HPDE isn't worth much. Enjoying yourself and learning about your car and high performance driving is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.
Good advice.

You're not insured on the track. You'll have a great time no matter how you do and you're going there to learn.

Quick Reply: Tips for a first time beginner at the track - Driving Evo X MR