Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Quick Question to those with Intakes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question to those with Intakes

So ive been wondering between two intakes at the moment, one intake im thinking of getting is the AEM Cold Air Intake, the other, Injen Air Intake - SP Series Intake System.

For you guys that have the systems installed on your evo X, which would you recommend? Does the BOV sound slightly louder? feel any diff overall?. Also, would you recommend a Tune after the Intake is installed?

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked before, ran a search but came up slim.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

If you haven't had your car tuned yet you should get that done first. An intake will not increase much HP for a tuned car. It does sound a lot better now that the turbo is breathing better. I have a NISEI intake pipe w/ stock air box. Works great for me.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
If you haven't had your car tuned yet you should get that done first. An intake will not increase much HP for a tuned car. It does sound a lot better now that the turbo is breathing better. I have a NISEI intake pipe w/ stock air box. Works great for me.
You think the factory tune for the 2010's is the same as the 08's?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:54 PM

u already got the 2010 evo? gsr or mr?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roykulokoy
u already got the 2010 evo? gsr or mr?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ibs-first.html

See link ^^

No but seriously, there has to be people on here that have the AEM intake or the Injen, come on peoples!!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:05 PM

i went ams. have read about some problems with the aem one, but i love the ams intake. ams does make a full race intake but its about the same price as the injen, but spend the money how u like. just remember that the goal is to open up air flow not continue to restrict it thats why i didnt go aem.

ps do not tune untill some mods are done because mods lean out the motor just like a tune and someone has blown there motor already because of that advice. ams told me intercooler pipeing, intercooler, intake, and exhaust is safe without a tune

Last edited by jk68x3; Aug 27, 2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: adding a note
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on Your purchase I have the AEM intake, which was followed shortly by a catback. With the AEM intake there is a definate increase in the turbo sound, you can hear it sucking air like crazy, and If you remove the lid from the intake box (easilly done in about 10 seconds) You will definately hear the blowoff sound (not easilly audible over the sound of an aftermarket exhaust). As for performance it pulls a little harder, and that annoying unsteady idle was eliminated (besides on very very hot days 95+ degree weather), However, I expect to see a big difference after a tune.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jk68x3

i went ams. have read about some problems with the aem one, but i love the ams intake.
And what problems have you read about regarding the AEM CAI? I've heard about problems from the AMS CAI (funky idle, hesitation) but none from the AEM.

I have an AEM myself, and I've had zero issues with it. I do hear the air sucking in at WOT a little better, but the noise level is on par with the stock air box. The car feels more peppy & responsive, and I'm currently running the Cobb 93 octane Stage 2 tune + AEM intake. Very happy with this set up.

Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

ok let me put it this way. I have a IC, IC piping, Catback, intake pipe, and wastegate actuator. My car with these mods and no tune dynod 196WHP on a dyno dynamics. The mods will decrease your HP without a tune. You might have faster spool which is probably what people notice and think you are gaining HP. Everyone w/ a X needs a tune. Either get the mods and then tune or if you dont plan on modding just tune it. I went from 196 to 302 after the tune. And yes I'm sure the 2010 Xs have crappy factory tunes as well.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
The mods will decrease your HP without a tune.
I don't know if i would say that necessarily. Mod's do help.

I would say AMS. You can't go wrong with any ams product imo. But if you are getting a tune, then the intake will not help your numbers. It does give the car a nice sound tho.

I would get a tune and a nice cat-back exhaust. You would have plenty of power and it would sound good too.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend a tune after installing an intake, only if you don't plan to install any other mods in the near future. If you're going to wind up installing full bolt-ons soon, you might as well get all that done, and then tune. That will just avoid having to get a re-tune.

It doesn't make a whole lot of a difference if you decide to get the AEM or Injen intake. That's just a matter of an open element vs stock type filter, and once you are tuned you will see similar results. I went with AMS, because I don't think they make a single bad part.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Evostare
So ive been wondering between two intakes at the moment, one intake im thinking of getting is the AEM Cold Air Intake, the other, Injen Air Intake - SP Series Intake System.

For you guys that have the systems installed on your evo X, which would you recommend? Does the BOV sound slightly louder? feel any diff overall?. Also, would you recommend a Tune after the Intake is installed?

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked before, ran a search but came up slim.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know about everyone else but it made a HUGE difference in my car. I will have to post up my dyno sheets to show the difference. There was about a 20HP difference without the inatke and tune.
I got my Takeda intake and COBB AP on the same day. My car runs the way it should have from the factory now. A friend of mine bought the Injen system and is very pleased with it. You can actually hear the car breath with the intake and the BOV is a heck of a lot louder. I couldn't even hear it before when my car was stock.
I suggest intake and tune together.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

is the ARC box same as the AEM cold air intake box? or is it better? I ask b/c they look the same functional wise but there is a huge price difference.

also, anyone have any thoughts on the blitz sonic power intake? i ask b/c it looks interesting and they say it make a different sound than others. I was wondering if anyone had one of these and what do they think of it.