Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Attention All X Owners.... Do this ASAP....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ran into this problem today. I had a zip-tie on one end (stupid me didn't zip tie both ends).

However, I found that even with two zip ties on the intake manifold end, the hose is still relatively easy to pull off by hand. I wasn't happy with this, so I went searching for a hose clamp. 3/8" was too big, so I looked further and found this 35 piece Dorman kit at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

This kit includes what they call "fuel injection hose clamps". These are the correct size for this application. However, even with this hose clamp on, I could still pull it off relatively easily by hand. Finally, I took off the hose, used some hairspray on a paper towel to coat the metal tube, then put the hose on with the mini hose clamp. I now can tug at the hose with a bit of pressure without the hose moving. I'll report back if I have problems, but I hope this solution stays (hairspray + mini hose clamp).
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no lip on the metal tube, so even friction clamps like zip ties and hose clamps can still be pulled off.

That said... you put an extremely flammable liquid on part of your engine?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
There's no lip on the metal tube, so even friction clamps like zip ties and hose clamps can still be pulled off.

That said... you put an extremely flammable liquid on part of your engine?
I figured that people use hairspray on intercooler hoses and it's fine...but now you got me paranoid. I just put a bit to help it stick. Is hairspray really that flammable after it dried into sticky residue?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Just ran into this problem today. I had a zip-tie on one end (stupid me didn't zip tie both ends).

However, I found that even with two zip ties on the intake manifold end, the hose is still relatively easy to pull off by hand. I wasn't happy with this, so I went searching for a hose clamp. 3/8" was too big, so I looked further and found this 35 piece Dorman kit at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

This kit includes what they call "fuel injection hose clamps". These are the correct size for this application. However, even with this hose clamp on, I could still pull it off relatively easily by hand. Finally, I took off the hose, used some hairspray on a paper towel to coat the metal tube, then put the hose on with the mini hose clamp. I now can tug at the hose with a bit of pressure without the hose moving. I'll report back if I have problems, but I hope this solution stays (hairspray + mini hose clamp).

super glue is the trick
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:33 PM

This happened to me a few days ago so I zip tied it and it corrected my idle but it's still not 100%. I do have some aftermarket parts on (intercooler, exhaust, intake) with a stock tune on it. Would the idle be corrected from a tune or is there something else I should look at like the fuel pump relay? I also get fuel cut/overboosting or whatever it is during close to or at WOT described perfectly in this thread Hesitation/vibration/jerking/kicking/overboost, high rpm, ASC off & Service Required on evoxfouurm.com (wouldn't allow me to copy paste the url)

Last edited by Aurainfinity; Oct 17, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

This is definitely good to know.

Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

I brought my car to the dealer 3 times because of shaky idle. It started after having service done for my AC. I am glad to know this is a common thing that happens on its own, because i started to assume the service tech did it to me in revenge of my complaint to corporate... heh still dont put it past them to do something like that, but couldn't believe I saw the hose hanging there after they were unable to find the cause. How does a service tech miss that 3 times?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:15 AM

This was my first mod, haha. I'm surprised nobody has tried crushing a bead into it like it should have had all along.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aurainfinity
This happened to me a few days ago so I zip tied it and it corrected my idle but it's still not 100%. I do have some aftermarket parts on (intercooler, exhaust, intake) with a stock tune on it. Would the idle be corrected from a tune or is there something else I should look at like the fuel pump relay? I also get fuel cut/overboosting or whatever it is during close to or at WOT described perfectly in this thread Hesitation/vibration/jerking/kicking/overboost, high rpm, ASC off & Service Required on evoxfouurm.com (wouldn't allow me to copy paste the url)
Yeah when it happened to me it was the scariest thing ever. All the lights turned on saying the car had to be serviced, car ran like **** etc. I called AWD Motorsports and they told me to connect that little hose. Wish I saw this thread before freaking out lol
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:50 AM

I picked up my 2010 SE last week. I will check/fix this weekend. Am I correct in assuming this shouldn't pop-off easily on a stock car?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red141
I picked up my 2010 SE last week. I will check/fix this weekend. Am I correct in assuming this shouldn't pop-off easily on a stock car?
You'll be fine. It didn't happen to me until I was tuned to 25lbs. I just zip tied it and it hasn't happened again. Congrats on the new car!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Its happened on MANY stock cars. It takes literally 10 seconds to throw a zip tie on it, so do it up.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Was driving along and all of a sudden heard what appeared to be a IC Pipe popping off. Nope... Couldn't figure it out. Idle was super rough and couldn't boost past 20psi. This was like last week. Just jumped on the forum, found this thread, and went to check. Sure enough my hose was popped off. Test drove and car is back to normal Thanks for the info!!!!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Just happened to me. I knew about this issue so when I got to school yesterday I took a look but I guess I over looked the hose seeing how it is pretty tiny but, when I went out today I saw that it had popped off. Thank god, I was getting worried it might have been something worse.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:45 AM

in the future when i get my evo, this will be the first thing i do

hopefully i can pick it up around november/december when i come back from afghanistan

Quick Reply: Attention All X Owners.... Do this ASAP....