Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Received my first Evo but having problems...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no reason why so many people are experiencing the burning clutch smell. New car or not. I had my ACT clutch installed 6k miles ago and have yet to smell it burning. where as the stock clutch smelt like it was burning from day one.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dunno I got rid of the clutch restrictor pill in the slave cylinder at about 500 miles, never had any issues with a clutch smell unless I burned it once and once my friend did. Otherwise, no clutch smell.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Deception;7466261]Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping for some help... I recently purchased a used Evolution X with 14k miles on the car. I had the car for a few days and loved it... Recently though, the car has been giving me problems driving... Let me list some and hope for a resolution.
  1. RPM Gauge seems to shoot up then go straight down when I press on the accelerator a little further down than normal. (Heard the transmission overheats)
    - it still has the stock flash, never heard of a GSR overheating its tranny, maybe on MR when driven on the track. gsr tranny's are somehow bulletproof.
  2. Clutch seems worn down when I release, the car seems to struggle to accelerate for a second. (Taking it to dealership to test the clutch and see if it's bad) - have u ever drive a manual awd? u have to damp the clutch before releasing to have a smooth acceleration, turning off the ASC will help a bit.
  3. Car leaves a smell, recently had an oil change and it removed most of it, however now the smell seems to come back... I pulled out my dipstick and had a smell like gas in the oil after changing the oil, not normal compared to my other cars. - everybody have that gas smell problem on stock tuned evo x
  4. Recaro seats starting to tear, heard it's normal but wondering what everyone has done to their seats. previous owner must huge....
Typical questions of a newbie..... read more on the forums... most of the questions you asked have the answers already.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

It might not be the clutch he's smelling guys, there's a myriad of things it could be! I've received the smell while driving on the highway in fifth gear, it's kinda hard to burn a clutch when you haven't shifted in miles... If he's got a gas mixture in his oil obviously he's not thinking with his dipstick Jimmy! But seriously, it's hard to diagnose his issues when we don't know how he's driving/taking care of the vehicle! His issues really run the gamut.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Like the others said you're more than likely gonna have to come out pocket to pay for the clutch. My dealer said since the clutch is a normal wear and tear item they weren't gonna cover it.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Dude, I think you should take it back.. You should have bought and evo 8 or 9. Nah, just kidding...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:19 PM

well I'm going to have to look at a new clutch... Since I guess I'm not covered... Should I ask for a pricing on a stock one from a dealer or get an aftermarket and have someone install it?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xtremist
I've received the smell while driving on the highway in fifth gear, it's kinda hard to burn a clutch when you haven't shifted in miles...
I've driven MANY long road trips (700-900 miles in 1 day is long for me) and I've yet to make a trip without smelling a slight hint of clutch in any car after driving for about 200-300 miles straight in 5th gear (been all 5spds). I don't know what it is, but I'm not changing throttle position rapidly whatsoever and still manage to get the smell after long, long stretches.

I also find it's a little weird swapping back and forth between two completely different transmissions. My beater is an '06 Kia and the clutch pedal feels like butter compared to stock GSR clutch, so it's weird transitioning back and forth between the two.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

If you gotta replace the clutch go after market and by a stage clutch, something that will take a little more abuse! The dealer will install a after-market as well it just wouldn't be covered by Mitsubishi if it were defective due to workmanship and not driver or technician error. Start looking around, HKS, AMS, ACT and Exedy to name a few.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
I've driven MANY long road trips (700-900 miles in 1 day is long for me) and I've yet to make a trip without smelling a slight hint of clutch in any car after driving for about 200-300 miles straight in 5th gear (been all 5spds). I don't know what it is, but I'm not changing throttle position rapidly whatsoever and still manage to get the smell after long, long stretches.

I also find it's a little weird swapping back and forth between two completely different transmissions. My beater is an '06 Kia and the clutch pedal feels like butter compared to stock GSR clutch, so it's weird transitioning back and forth between the two.
Couldn't agree more, my Dad's 4WD Mighty Max has a totally different clutch feel and you have to make a transition between the two. I've become a much better shifter due to the fact I'm constantly driving a manual and collecting different ideas and vibes from both transmissions. It really comes down to experience and getting to know your vehicle before you jump into bed and start frying clutch and making babies... or I meaning blowing engines!

I myself made the mistake of jumping into quick, THANK GOD I backed out before I screwed something up! Remember practice makes perfect. Be patient with the EVO, as you have to earn it's respect.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

yeah no sense in putting a stock clutch back in when they don't last. I went with ACT ME1 HDSS and AMS reinforcement ring. Still need to take the restrictor pill out though.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:37 AM

I am heading to the dealership today, hopefully the car gives me no problems on the highway. The dealership didn't say anything about my 12,000 mile warranty...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck, if you bought the car used with 14k they should warranty the clutch if you haven't put to many miles on it?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:38 PM

Well when I got to the dealership and my engine smelled terrible... I think it's the clutch and they stated that the warranty is for only 12,000 miles... I'm hoping it's not the clutch but if it is I'm getting an aftermarket one... So where I'm going with this is if you guys can post which aftermarket ones you have with a link and what you think about it...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deception
I am heading to the dealership today, hopefully the car gives me no problems on the highway. The dealership didn't say anything about my 12,000 mile warranty...
Yeah they wasted my time too by not telling me that. Good luck though. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Received my first Evo but having problems...