Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Received my first Evo but having problems...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pm sent
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:47 PM

I was looking at getting a dual friction clutch from Centerforce... my friend recommended me it... He said he paid around 600-700 for it
Old Sep 3, 2009, 03:09 PM

Did you buy the car at a mitsubishi dealer? or a regular use car dealer? any which way the clutch should be covered by the selling dealer if you are experiencing problems with in the first few days of owning the car under lemon law warranty depending on what state you have the car registered, i recommend getting a written diagnosis froma mitsubishi dealer regarding your concern and then brining that to the selling dealer
Old Sep 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08 Evo X MR
definetly get to a dealer who will listen to you
+1
not all dealers are the same
Old Sep 3, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JERMAINE
Did you buy the car at a mitsubishi dealer? or a regular use car dealer? any which way the clutch should be covered by the selling dealer if you are experiencing problems with in the first few days of owning the car under lemon law warranty depending on what state you have the car registered, i recommend getting a written diagnosis froma mitsubishi dealer regarding your concern and then brining that to the selling dealer
Was purchased with 12,000 miles... The clutch seemed like it was gone from the day I got it... I'm looking at getting a dual friction clutch right now
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deception
Yes it is a GSR, sorry forgot to note.... Problem is the dealership seems to ignore my issues because they think their right... I told them before the shifting into second and third isn't as smooth as the rest of the gears and they said that a person who has driven evo's for years says it's fine... I'm thinking of going to another dealer and seeing what they can find out
I don't know about the rest of the problems... but almost everyone complains about the 2nd and 3rd shift. Try letting the revs come down more before you shift into these gears... I do that and have no issues with my tranny. The shifting in these cars is just rough and that's all there is to it. There's plenty of claims that it's an even better tranny than the previous generations (from car reviewers)... I guess we'll see as guys get more miles on them. Something else I would recommend is changing the tranny fluid to some AMSoil brand.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pcasso87
Yeah it seems as if the clutch is about to go, mine is doing the same thing it releases very high and has trouble moving the car, plus anybody having trouble engaging reverse gear???
thats why i hate manual cars..lol clutches always fry..
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
thats why i hate manual cars..lol clutches always fry..
yeah..... if you don't know how to drive one and always rides the clutch

X tranny shifts like a butter at extreme use ( track and hot temps).
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l-problem.html

This one covers #3 and has some great info.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I feel for this guy as this might not be his fault since he did buy the car used! Regardless if the clutch warranty is only good for 12k, he bought the car with 12k and Mitsubishi needs to look into this if his dealer won't! Call MMNA, honestly man that's your next step in getting this resolved. Good luck.

P.S. Clutches hardly fry even if you slightly ride them in a regular vehicle (that is if you know how to drive a manual in the first place), the X is just extremely picky and the revs jump increasingly fast, before you know it your burning the clutch! This car requires 110 percent of your attention while driving.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:21 AM

Well I'm going to speak with the previous dealer... But I can't dwell on this issue, it needs to be fixed... I was wondering how many splines come on the evo x, and where should I start looking for new clutches..
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
I feel for this guy as this might not be his fault since he did buy the car used! Regardless if the clutch warranty is only good for 12k, he bought the car with 12k and Mitsubishi needs to look into this if his dealer won't! Call MMNA, honestly man that's your next step in getting this resolved. Good luck.

P.S. Clutches hardly fry even if you slightly ride them in a regular vehicle (that is if you know how to drive a manual in the first place), the X is just extremely picky and the revs jump increasingly fast, before you know it your burning the clutch! This car requires 110 percent of your attention while driving.
Seriously? 12k is 12k. Why would Mitsu give a poo about a used car owner when they don't do anything for the new car owners with 12001 miles? MMNA are much bigger A holes then the dealers are.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:16 AM

Check to see if your car is leaking any fluid. I think this is a problem Western Man had on here. I had the same issue.. my clutch was slipping but due to the leak. I was only around 2k miles though. Dealership had to warranty it.

The grinds are common. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is bad. Pretty ****ty, dealership couldnt do anything about it.. but i had them note it down.

The seats - have the dealership send it to an upholstery shop to restitch it. And whie they're at it, do the hood latch recall. I've gone to the dealership about 6 times (dropping my car off/picking it up and such).
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

All of the used cars that I bought came with a 30-day warranty from the dealer. If this was purchased from a private party then I understand.

The best clutch for you is going to depend upon how much horsepower you intend to wring out of it and what type of driving you intend to do with it. I'd recommend calling your favorite performance shop and getting some advice. I do most of my shopping at MAPerformance but there are a lot of fine vendors on here.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but the 12k miles were already of the vehicle, the dealership has to warranty it if there's a 30 days warranty, unless he and the dealership worked something out that voided the warranty! Call MMNA they'll at least give you the proper information to get the gears going if you want to try and replace the clutch under warranty and not have to pay out the cash to have it repaired! My friend totally fried his clutch in his Mustang, which was his fault but the dealer covered it for free due to the warranty... Needless to say the dealership would have to prove he burnt the clutch or miss treated the car to void the warranty unless they consider it a maintenance "normal wear and tear" issue to not replace the clutch!

P.S. Is this your first manual?

Quick Reply: Received my first Evo but having problems...