Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Received my first Evo but having problems...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received my first Evo but having problems...

Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping for some help... I recently purchased a used Evolution X with 14k miles on the car. I had the car for a few days and loved it... Recently though, the car has been giving me problems driving... Let me list some and hope for a resolution.
  1. RPM Gauge seems to shoot up then go straight down when I press on the accelerator a little further down than normal. (Heard the transmission overheats)
  2. Clutch seems worn down when I release, the car seems to struggle to accelerate for a second. (Taking it to dealership to test the clutch and see if it's bad)
  3. Car leaves a smell, recently had an oil change and it removed most of it, however now the smell seems to come back... I pulled out my dipstick and had a smell like gas in the oil after changing the oil, not normal compared to my other cars.
  4. Recaro seats starting to tear, heard it's normal but wondering what everyone has done to their seats.
Thank you and sorry for such a long list.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

You have a GSR correct? I have not heard of the 5speed manual transmission overheating on a stock setup... unless it is the MR's TC-SST tranny on the track especially in hot weather. The car should be covered under warranty if it is stock and isn't tuned, have the dealer check it right away... mention all these problems.

Last edited by tipoytm; Sep 2, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:48 PM

Yes it is a GSR, sorry forgot to note.... Problem is the dealership seems to ignore my issues because they think their right... I told them before the shifting into second and third isn't as smooth as the rest of the gears and they said that a person who has driven evo's for years says it's fine... I'm thinking of going to another dealer and seeing what they can find out
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

definetly get to a dealer who will listen to you
sounds like some major problems will soon appear if you dont get it fixed up
good luck
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what's up with #1. Can you describe it better? Is it when the car is idling and the RPMs seems to drop drastically (but the car doesn't stall)? If so, that's pretty common and the car needs a reflash from the dealership.

#2, 3 and 4 are all common issues with this car. Do a little reading on this forum and you'll find super long threads about all three of them. Those will help guide you on what you can expect.

Other than that, your car could have been beaten to death by the previous owner. Do you know if it was modded?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

#1 and #2 sound like the clutch is slipping. This could be because the clutch is worn or just your technique. Couple of ideas:

Try giving it lots of gas once the clutch is fully engaged (foot off the pedal). Your RPMs should steadily rise, not rise, fall, then rise again.

If you have already tested it this way, I'd suggest letting another Evo owner ride with you or ask to drive their car.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch sounds toast. Also be sure to change your oil every 3k miles with Mobil 1, do not do what the owners book says and go to 5k.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

clutch is done. Warrenty is only good for 12k. I had the same issue. Was able to get 2k miles out of it driving it easy from when it 1st started slipping until it was almost completly out. Ended up have a warped flywheel as well. Total cost with aftermarket clutch was around 2k installed by dealer cuz no one around here would touch it. Good luck and pm if you need the name the vendor on here I got a good deal from. Oh yeah and I would recommend the AMS master clutch reinforcment ring. Dealer doesn't charge anything extra to install.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
Clutch sounds toast. Also be sure to change your oil every 3k miles with Mobil 1, do not do what the owners book says and go to 5k.
Not questioning if your oil recommendation is correct...but just wondering why? Is there a thread on here to read up on the oil change intervals?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it seems as if the clutch is about to go, mine is doing the same thing it releases very high and has trouble moving the car, plus anybody having trouble engaging reverse gear???
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by trexxx8739
clutch is done. Warrenty is only good for 12k. I had the same issue. Was able to get 2k miles out of it driving it easy from when it 1st started slipping until it was almost completly out. Ended up have a warped flywheel as well. Total cost with aftermarket clutch was around 2k installed by dealer cuz no one around here would touch it. Good luck and pm if you need the name the vendor on here I got a good deal from. Oh yeah and I would recommend the AMS master clutch reinforcment ring. Dealer doesn't charge anything extra to install.
Warranty is only good for 12k? I thought it would still be the 50k as usual?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deception
Warranty is only good for 12k? I thought it would still be the 50k as usual?
Mitsu is 36k miles or 36 months. Where did someone get 12k....

Your clutch is done, just FYI. The dealer will do nothing about that the seats and gas in the oil maybe.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

clutch is a wear and tear and is only covered for 12k miles or 12 months under the basic warrenty. it's in your book.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trexxx8739
clutch is a wear and tear and is only covered for 12k miles or 12 months under the basic warrenty. it's in your book.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

1). The clutch burns very quickly especially if you're riding it constantly! (Which I quickly tried avoiding). Granny shift until you get the feel and proper logic of the X's clutch release. Remember the RPMS will shoot up there quickly due to the turbo and touchy gas pedal thanks to the fly by wire throttle system.

2). The smells are typical, could be clutch, brakes and so forth! If you bought the car new it's more than likely break in! Any time you ram things together to either accelerate/downshift or brake odors are bound to occur!

3). The reverse issue it more than likely due to the fact there's no dedicated reverse gear, as Mitsubishi designed first and third to deliver a reverse gear. Toggle into 5th then shift down into reverse and it picks the gear up with no hassles!

4). The gear exchange from 1st to 2nd is typical in an EVO, especially the X due to the aluminum drive shaft and light weight goodies they decided to thrown in... It all comes down to shifting from 1st to 2nd confidently, wait a short second when going from first to second and don't be afraid to release the clutch with a swift but steady release! Always leave your foot placed on the clutch pedal until the gear it fully engaged, as this sometimes leads to a jittery shift as well; not to mention a bad habit!

5) More than likely Mitsubishi won't replace your clutch, as it usually falls upon the driver... Not saying it's your fault as I can see where both parties are coming from! Needless to say this is my first EVO as well, I've owned it for over a 1 1/2 now and I'm still in the midst of mastering this vehicle. It's defiantly not a car you just jump into and drive flawlessly like a base Lancer, Mustang, Civic and so on. Learn the X and it's habits and accept the ones you can't change, we as people often forget these cars are made by fellow man and their far from perfect.

6 ). Mitsubishi will have to warranty the Recaro's if the damage falls on them, if it's around the fake carbon accent it's not tearing, the staple just let loose! I stuff mine back into spot when the fabric starts to expose it's self! Good luck with your car, try to avoid a verbal confrontation with their rep, simply call MMNA and they'll iron the kinks out for you! Best of luck my good man.

Quick Reply: Received my first Evo but having problems...