Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kooldino
Except for the fact that the roof would bend, the diffs would break, and the gearboxes would explode.
careful it may happen to your X too... u never know.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
OT, anti-X, and racial stereotyping removed. I left the arguing about how much an Evo costs because it's kinda humorous to see people vehemently arguing about something which is essentially published fact.

My thoughts on this being a safety issue: It's not. When your pedal snaps, throttle goes to 0. You might get a little TTO if you're at/near the limit, but your wife isn't going to die on the highway from it.

As for Mitsu... par for the course. Deny, deny, deny. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design, so why void the OP's warranty rather than just eat the $200 or whatever? Right... because Mitsubishi still to this day doesn't understand customer service in the US.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

It is certainly a safety issue. There are many scenarios where you could be in traffic or pulling into a lane and crossing traffic and be plastered because no one anticipates that you are trying to remove your shoe in order to press the button with your toe!!!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
El Jefe

It'd be no different than stalling the car. Which most everyone has done at some time or another.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

I think most likely you'd just coast to a stop and block traffic like what happens many many times on the streets and freeways when people's car's just give out on them. Does that make your problem any less of a problem? No, but I see WSB's point about it not equaling instant doom and death.

Think of all the tires that blow out on cars while on the road I would think that is just as much if not more dangerous than simply losing power because you can no longer step on the accelerator since it has now snapped off.

As a side note, any vendors/manufacturers of carbon fiber parts looking at making a CF accelerator? lol
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
t.

My thoughts on this being a safety issue: It's not. When your pedal snaps, throttle goes to 0. You might get a little TTO if you're at/near the limit, but your wife isn't going to die on the highway from it.
Start to turn left into an intersection and have the pedal snap while there is on-coming traffic that you would have had plenty of time to clear if you had... i dunno... throttle.. and then see if it isn't a safety issue..

Its just as much of a danger not knowing how to drive and stalling the car in an intersection...

i would have to change my pants if that happened to me... even if i didn't get into an accident...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

The initial reaction of trying to blame you for this is so disgusting that it almost makes me ill.

You should be able to stand on the pedal as hard as humanly possible and there should be no chance of it breaking. That is clearly a design flaw in my book.

And it's definitely a safety issue. When you expect and need the car to move, you need a frikkin gas pedal to make it happen. The clear example is needing to cross a road where there is no light. You see a reasonable clearing and go for it ... the car starts to move and then the pedal breaks ... you are now a sitting duck.

Drag - your posts have been very logical and measured. I respect your restraint in this matter, I would have flown off the handle big time.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

The reason its not as bad a safety issue is because there are multiple things in a car that can stop it in the middle of an intersection. Are they all unsafe? Yes of course, but it could be much worse (ie gas gets stuck to the floor, brake pedal breaks off, etc.)

What happens when you're trying to get through an intersection and your tire blows? Why aren't we all having mass panics about tires possibly failing while on the road?

Anyway I'm glad to hear that Mitsubishi is on the job (even if they did get on it a bit late ... better late than never? lol)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kisada
What happens when you're trying to get through an intersection and your tire blows?
The other three continue to pull you forward b/c it's an AWD car?

I don't know, this one just seems really ugly to me. Maybe I'm overreacting. I think you have a reasonable expectation that if you maintain your car properly, it will go when you press the gas pedal, not break and leave you dead in the water.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
It'd be no different than stalling the car. Which most everyone has done at some time or another.
I believe NHTSA has issued recalls previously based on sudden power loss issues (typically stalling), which the broken pedal would fall under IMHO. Besides, it's a lot easier to restart the engine than it is to re-attach the pedal.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:46 PM
El Jefe

True.

For the record, NHTSA does not consider the throttle to be a vital safety item. Steering and brakes are, which is why we don't have steer by wire or single pass brake by wire (MB's system has full redundancy). I'm not trying to write off the issue, or give Mitsu a free pass, but I don't see this as a safety issue nearly as much as I see it as a quality control issue, and another example of Mitsu's poor customer service.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

The tire blowout thing is kind of funny. In 12 years of driving, including about 600,000 miles that I drove a truck through college, and 5 years of rock crawling my Jeep...I have never had a single flat tire. In the 60s you got a flat tire 5 times a year. Tire technology has all but ended that. Even when you get a flat tire now, it is exactly that...a flat tire.

My wife got a flat in her Bettle one day and drove 2 miles on the rim before she noticed it Didn't even scratch the wheel...women!! It certainly didn't cause her car to stop dead in its tracks in front of a dump truck.

Stalling the car and sitting there is one thing. Imagine you are driving on the highway through a construction zone with barriers on each side, you press the accelerator in 5th to move past a slow moving semi and it snaps off. The Semi behind you doesn't see any break lights and plasters you in the middle of the barriers with no place to go. You are f'd. Or...you pull out across traffic where there isn't a stop light. We have all done it...you can't get out and you punch it. The thing snaps off and you are sitting dead in the lane and get smashed by the car you pulled out in front of. Yeah...that is NOT a safety issue Sometimes I read this forum and wonder what parents are buying their 16 year old kids $40K cars...because some of you do not have fully developed brains working here. Why make excuses to back up a ****ed up engineering design? Engineering mistakes happen....you just fix them.

I was rearended by an out of control semi on ice earlier this year. I was in my Chevy 2500HD pulling a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer. The trailer absorbed most of the shock, but it toss me off the road like nothing. I was going 15mph and he was going 25 when he hit us.....totalled the trailer and did $8,000 in damage to the truck Imagine what would happen if you suddenly slowed to 40 when your pedal snapped off and something like this hit you at 60? It smashed my 16,000 lb rig with a 10mph difference...what would it do to your little car?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dwnfdrknss
careful it may happen to your X too... u never know.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:25 AM
El Jefe

I can create a scenario for any part failure that results in a bad ending. And yes, every part on a car can fail, especially when you start pushing the envelope. You must have good luck with tires - I've had 3 flats in my car (2 nails and a pothole), and 2 semi tires (both thanks to tire chains).

Again, this isn't an issue that's likely to cause an accident. I'm somewhat dismayed that Mitsubishi chose to blame you rather than to see if their supplier has a QC problem. And no, I'm not a 16 year old with rich parents.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks for the posse backup, WSB!

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)