Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
If you think Mitsu isn't all over this you are sadly mistaken. To all of you that think it is just a fluke, seriously guys...grow up. Do you always have to be right or know all? Go out and look at the pedal design from an engineering viewpoint. The pedal has no stop, and nothing to rest on with the trottle open 100%. This is a poor design. As far as I know, all other drive by wire cars with a plastic pedal do not have a hanging pedal...they are floor mounted so that you can still stand on them. Also, it just so happens that my pedal snapped where the support structure ends. If you would have read through my description, I was not putting any abnormal force on the pedal. I wasn't shifting gears and pounding on it, I wasn't standing on the pedal hard as if I was hoping the car would go faster ....I was sitting still and was pushing the pedal towards 100% throttle when it snapped.

I picked up my car from the dealer yesterday. It was actually fixed immediately but I was out of town. My dealer took care of me, and they are sincerely looking into the problem...along with Mitsu. The service manager has been on the phone with Mitsu engineers all week, and has been sending them photos of the pedal. I dropped the broken one off yesterday so that it could be shipped next day air to Mitsubishi for a closer look and I was told to expect some sort of recall or service bulletin.

Call it a fluke or whatever you want, but from an engineering perspective it has design flaws. You are telling others who have been driving their cars more frequently with no problems to not worry about the isolated problem...you know...some of us want to KNOW that something as serious as this will not happen with our families in the car. Quit trying to be a hardass. Anyone with half a brain can look at the design and say "damn that is flawed" While I only have 2000 miles on my car, I bought the first one in the area straight off the truck and have been driving it for 3 months.

Since you know exactly what Mitsu is and isn't doing, please share.
I'm not trying to be a hardass, I'm trying to be realistic here. All I'm trying to say, and maybe I'm not clear enough is this:

your incident, although horrible is still a single incident at the moment. A search on these forums, as well as through google are all I have to go by - certainly not gospel, but its not a problem thats happening all over the place according to just a quick simple search. My best friend, and my brother both work for Mitsu dealerships as service writers, neither one of them has heard of, or seen this happen to another mitsu product. These forums aren't run by mitsubishi. A thread with 200 posts (some of which are guys arguing about the OTD costs and TTL fees) isn't going to get their attention.

I personally believe that the pedal underwent stress test before mitsu implemented it into nearly every new car they they are selling. Perhaps they are really just that stupid - your incident presents the possibility. I am not an engineer but I have taken some engineering classes. That truss design you believe to be flawed doesn't jump out at me as the same flawed engineering that it does to you. I also believe the lack of reports of this problem also indicate that the problem is not the engineering flaw its being made in to here. High Quality? Absolutely not. I hope they do issue a TSB on it, but I'm afraid they were feeding you a line of BS to alleviate your concerns on it.

I'm not suggesting the X is perfect. I'm not suggesting there is 100% without a doubt no reason to be concerned. What I am saying is there is a balance to be had. Taking your incident and concluding that X owners should fear for theirs, and their families lives is perhaps premature based upon just the one incident which has surfaced so far. People are entitled to disagree. Do you not agree that making the assumption that this is a flawed product based upon one incident is perhaps premature? If not, do you plan to sell your X? I assume you have not driven it since driving it back from the shop, and don't plan on driving it until they issue a TSB or recall on it? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just curious as to what your actions are in light of what has happened and what you've concluded because of it. I would assume that given the amount of concern you and others expressed about it thus far, you haven't driven since, and that you believe your life could well be in danger driving it.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 14, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I am waiting for Service Pack 1 (SP1) to come out for this car before I purchase
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

The tire blowout thing is kind of funny. In 12 years of driving, including about 600,000 miles that I drove a truck through college, and 5 years of rock crawling my Jeep...I have never had a single flat tire. In the 60s you got a flat tire 5 times a year. Tire technology has all but ended that. Even when you get a flat tire now, it is exactly that...a flat tire.
So because you've driven without getting a flat or blowout means that it doesn't happen? And because your X pedal broke that means they all can? If anecdote stories is what equates to proof . . .

I was driving in the fast lane on the 101 from Ventura to LA. Often times there is no shoulder but a concrete barrier instead because of the construction that is perpetually going on somewhere on that freeway. The flow of traffic was 75-85mph with quite a few cars on the freeway ... while in the fast lane the car that was 4 car lengths in front of me has a flat/blowout on their driver side front tire and slam into the concrete barrier in front of me and I miss them by inches as I squeezed between them and the 2nd to fast lane.

There my true life story has just equalized yours and now the only thing left is one (1) Evo X accelerator snapping off from the total amount that are on the road.

Excuse me if I don't call for a state of emergency.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Now this is just getting retarded and off topic. I'm just pointing out that it is a poor design....regardless of what can or can't happen. That point can't be argued. There is no stop at WOT and the pedal breaks away right where the support structure ends. We can all sit here and argue all day about whether the pedal breaking off is a safety issue or not. I posted about my experience, posted the pictures...all for the benefit of members here. Take it or leave it. If you guys are ok with the pedal snapping off of a $40K car with 2000 miles on it...hey...Mitsu has found a good customer base to go along with their customer service. Maybe if I had a DSM background I would be used to silly things breaking on my car for no apparent reason.

I'm leaving this one alone.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I still say $40K and MItsu should never be in the same sentence...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

How can anybody assume anything about the new evo is a fluke this soon after its release? It's been on the streets what, 2 months now? In 1 year, if nobody else has this happen, that's when you call it a fluke. For now its a red flag and something everyone should watch out for.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

There is a back stop on the gas pedal, albiet up at the top. this does leave a moderate amount of pedal to leverage against. It would be alot better if the backstop was closer to or at the bottom of the pedal. I would be curious if someone will purchase a new pedal I would be happy to donate my time , car and video to see what kind of force is needed to recreate your incident. I am up for a nice Carbon fiber replacement for good measure but I will still drive my car every day.

I await Mitsus answer.

Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

nice 45,000 thousand dollar car
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.

EDIT: Pictures on page 4

i dont know. y didnt u? i bought one and its so much fun to drive. the grunts from 3500+rpm are just amazing with the z06 exhaust.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:04 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebyu36
nice 45,000 thousand dollar car
This car keeps getting more expensive as the thread goes on.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, what a piece of crap $50,000 car....
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have the time or patience for these stupid little problems in my 54,399.00 car!! Dammit, get it fixed!!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racerxl99
i dont know. y didnt u? i bought one and its so much fun to drive. the grunts from 3500+rpm are just amazing with the z06 exhaust.

Because I walked all over a pretty nice 530whp C6Z all day at an auto x last weekend in my stock X and then when I got home my neighbor, his wife, and 2 kids all piled in and we went out for a steak

If I had a C6 I would kick myself every time I saw a Z06 drive by. That is the next car on my list, but I'm gonna have to keep the X. It is too good at just about everything.

I did ride in that Z and it was one of the most composed cars I have ever been in. I want one for sure.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonasan50
I dont have the time or patience for these stupid little problems in my 54,399.00 car!! Dammit, get it fixed!!
Loaded MR? I remember when people were bragging about how they would have their MRs in a week and only pay $35K for them. Months later, they are still waiting....and a loaded MR will be closer to what you said then what they said
Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:41 PM

Because I walked all over a pretty nice 530whp C6Z all day at an auto x last weekend in my stock X and then when I got home my neighbor, his wife, and 2 kids all piled in and we went out for a steak

If I had a C6 I would kick myself every time I saw a Z06 drive by. That is the next car on my list, but I'm gonna have to keep the X. It is too good at just about everything.

I did ride in that Z and it was one of the most composed cars I have ever been in. I want one for sure.
If you are doing auto x that is way they want to void your warranty.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)